Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Roos officially announced as Melbourne Demons

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    And that is indeed a very good suggestion.
    Except there is some talk of Roosey wanting him at the Dees

Regular in the Side
    Not surprised re asking him to take a 55% pay cut , don't know what he earned as academy leader but suggest it would be north of $500k and that for teaching 11-12 year olds. You can get many people in Melbourne at weekend teaching kids the game. Doesn't take someone of Roos stature.

I have no bases for my about to be noted comment but a gut feeling. We know that Roosey had to take a 55% pay cut and that was a fact. We get the impression that he understood and did not take it that personally (?). Maybe the AFL had been partially funding his role and now this has been cut back and the Swans were left with either finding the extra funds or cutting back. This would fit with all the fact we do have.

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Tony Abbott may have won on Saturday but it was Roos who is the real winner from the past 7 days.

What does a 55% pay cut mean? He was probably getting paid more as Academy coach than either Scott at North or forgot his name at the Bulldogs as AFL coaches.

To get offered 1.7 million a year for three years with no real expectation apart from handing it over to someone else is a better saying than "taking candy from a baby" perhaps we can now instead use "Roos coaching the demons".

If he takes anyone with him, then good luck to them for the future. I would hardly lose sleep over Kennelly going.

I'm looking forward to seeing if he really is a master coach or was held up by some very good players and people at the Swans. Don't forget the Swans won't making too much of an impact in his last few years there so a very calculated jump rather than push was made. However, we'll see.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyRayCypress View Post
    Tony Abbott may have won on Saturday but it was Roos who is the real winner from the past 7 days.

What does a 55% pay cut mean? He was probably getting paid more as Academy coach than either Scott at North or forgot his name at the Bulldogs as AFL coaches.

To get offered 1.7 million a year for three years with no real expectation apart from handing it over to someone else is a better saying than "taking candy from a baby" perhaps we can now instead use "Roos coaching the demons".

If he takes anyone with him, then good luck to them for the future. I would hardly lose sleep over Kennelly going.

I'm looking forward to seeing if he really is a master coach or was held up by some very good players and people at the Swans. Don't forget the Swans won't making too much of an impact in his last few years there so a very calculated jump rather than push was made. However, we'll see.
    Agree with all you've said BillyRay but in particular the last paragraph, this is something I've often wondered.

Suspended by the MRP
    Delighted to see Paul Roos join Melbourne. They are my second team behind the Swans and they needed someone of his calibre to guide them. I believe he will transform the club quickly like David Koch has done with Port.
    I would like to see him hire Garry Lyon as his senior assistant so Garry can fulfil his destiny!

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyRayCypress View Post
    I reckon Roos wonders that himself sometimes - or at least, is aware that a lots of things need to go your way, and a lot of people need to contribute, to win a flag. He has never shown much appetite to be a career coach and the terms on which he has accepted this role are consistent with that. It is very much a short term gig for him, to instill some values and work ethic into a club that seems to badly need it.

Regardless of how good Roos was / is in a pure coaching sense, his time at the Swans has given him a strong understanding of what is required organisationally and culturally to give a club the chance of onfield success. That is what the Dees are employing him for. I think it's a good fit, especially if they can identify the right young coach to work under him and take over the senior job in a couple of seasons.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Roosy steals his first Swans assistant! Rage!

Ex-Swans that is, Brett Allison

Roos makes first Melbourne coaching appointment - AFL.com.au

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Not the best picture of Brett.

God I'm becoming shallow!
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    Not the best picture of Brett.

God I'm becoming shallow!
    He looks like one of Kerry Packer's love children in this pic (or a Pommie rugby front row forward).

Fruity is never going to take a good photo, its just not possible, that's why he is known as Fruity (fruit bat).

I have sung his praises in the past, great attitude to being relegated to ressies while at Swans, coaching on the ground was terrific, got quite a kick seeing him at work out there, and a great runner for us. No wonder he got claimed by Roos for Melbourne. Can see him as a senior coach in waiting (succession plan you see). Good man. Melbourne are lucky to get him.

Yes you are shallow Stella, but not so deep y ou are not redeemable.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

I wonder how much Roosy was making the last few years ... On the Couch, commentary team, couple of days a week watching kids kick a footy around ...?

Whatever it was, he will be working a hell of a lot harder "pro rata" over the next 3 years!

Page 5 of 24 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast