Thread: Demons and Hypocrites

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar

Demons and Hypocrites

Demons would like a priority draft pick . . .

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/mel...-1226710891853

"Club chiefs such as Collingwood's Eddie McGuire, Hawthorn's Andrew Newbold and Carlton's Stephen Kernahan have railed against the allocation of priority picks.

Ironically, all of those clubs have received priority picks in the past decade, with Luke Hodge, Xavier Ellis and Jarryd Roughead all priority selections for the Hawks."
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Demons would like a priority draft pick . . .

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/mel...-1226710891853

"Club chiefs such as Collingwood's Eddie McGuire, Hawthorn's Andrew Newbold and Carlton's Stephen Kernahan have railed against the allocation of priority picks.

Ironically, all of those clubs have received priority picks in the past decade, with Luke Hodge, Xavier Ellis and Jarryd Roughead all priority selections for the Hawks."
    Minor technicality, but they traded for the pick 1 they used for Hodge. I think it may have been a Freo priority pick though!

While I agree with your comment regarding the hypocrisy, I don't think the Dees should get one. It wasn't so long ago they were slapped with a wet lettuce leaf for tanking to obtain a priority pick. They were arguably given a far too generous compensation for losing Scully to GWS, and were fortunate not to have to use a top 5 pick for Viney. If any club is proof that a strong supply of top picks is not a recipe for being even vaguely competitive, surely it is Melbourne. In the meantime, Port have demonstrated to the league how a basket case can be transformed almost overnight into a competitive unit with a decent amount of young talent (which the Dees already have), a decent coach, a good fitness bloke and a smidgeon of pride and resolve.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    I quite agree with your argument too, I especially like the wet lettuce leaf image.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Senior Player
    To be fair, if priority picks exist, if Melbourne don't merit one currently I'm not sure when a team ever could.

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I'm in two minds on it, I do think they need assistance but I'm not sure that another talented young guy is the right way to go.

I wouldn't mind if they were provisioned a priority pick with the same intention as mini-draft picks for expansion clubs. I appreciate GWS didn't really stick to that in the end, but if they were given a priority pick at the end of the first round but were locked in that they had to trade for an experienced player (easier said than done). I'd even be okay with the idea of them having some ability to poach ala GC/GWS (for one off season).

They need to get in a hard working guy from a team that has had at least a slight degree of success and can lead. Callan Ward would have been brilliant for them.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by R-1 View Post
    To be fair, if priority picks exist, if Melbourne don't merit one currently I'm not sure when a team ever could.
    The same could have been said about Port the last few years and they have turned it around without any extra help draft wise. Just shows what the right people in the right jobs with the right passion and hard work can do.
    Hinkley is coach of the year as far as I am concerned, even if they get belted this weekend.

Senior Player
    Paul Roo's has just signed on as coach.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post
    Paul Roo's has just signed on as coach.
    And he's instantly trying to offer up to use any priority pick just how I said they should.

Paul and me, always seeing eye to eye!
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    The same could have been said about Port the last few years and they have turned it around without any extra help draft wise. Just shows what the right people in the right jobs with the right passion and hard work can do.
    Hinkley is coach of the year as far as I am concerned, even if they get belted this weekend.
    They probably should have got help too. They were never as rotten as Melbourne though. Just rubbish recruiting between about 2004 and 2010.

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    Paul and me, always seeing eye to eye!
    I just had a thought, if Davo continues with us as runner/academy coach, then he will have outlasted Roos at the Swans!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Xie Shan View Post
    I just had a thought, if Davo continues with us as runner/academy coach, then he will have outlasted Roos at the Swans!
    It's the way of Leading Teams disciples. Regular short term, high paying gigs.

Trying to find a way to make that a negative.

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    I actually did read up a bit on Leading Teams after Martin Blake wrote about it in his book, and most of it is actually pretty good stuff. It helps if you've read a business book called "Good to Great" by Jim Collins.