Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Other Finals Matches

Regular in the Side MightyBloods's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt79 View Post
    Indeed! Came down for the footy finals weekend. Whilst its was extremely disappointing we lost v the Hawks, I felt a heck of a lot better when Port beat Collingwood. Watching the Pies stream out of the MCG was priceless!
    It will be even better if the Blues beat the Tigers. A Malthouse coached side finishing higher that a Buckley coached side and after the Blues getting a 'free ticket' from 9th to participate in the finals. The pie supporters will be stewing all over summer but it will be even more intolerable for them if Carlton win today! Go Blues...just for today!
    ...and as another side point...the tiges being beaten by a 9th team in the finals!! haha....could be a crazziiee election weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    Both games were games were great to watch! Freo were absolutely awesome and the prospect of facing them in a prelim at subi, should we make it that far, is daunting. Port were great too, Wingar and Wines had great first final performances. Massive effort from them to beat Collingwood at the G. What a day of Finals footy !
    It is Wingard. He is from Murray Bridge. They are both fine players Wingard & Wines. Freo were frighteningly good. I am predicting a Hawks/freo GF as I don't think we are in the mix this year due to injury and crap game plan (bomb the ball down the line from kick in and bomb to forwards even though we never have any crumbers).

scott names the planets stellation's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Great quarter by Juddy!

Richmond - the biggest victim of the Essendon debacle!

Blog Entries
    Carlton might have been lucky to be playing week 1, but they have absolutely earnt playing in week 2.

How's this for miserable; we were the worst team I saw play this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    Agreed! I hope we have a few "Brock McLeans" and the fitter fringe players get a go..........and Goodesy. Its a good time for the next generation to gain some finals experience and who knows we may win.

Senior Player
    How's this for miserable; we were the worst team I saw play this weekend.[/QUOTE]
    Maybe the other teams were more evenly matched and that we were just not as good as Hawthorn this year because of our injuries.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by annew View Post
    Maybe the other teams were more evenly matched and that we were just not as good as Hawthorn this year because of our injuries.[/QUOTE]

I know what you mean, and I'm usually pretty mindlessly optimistic- but even factoring in for quality of opposition I think we put in the worst performance I saw for week 1 (I didn't see Pies vs. Power). Hopefully we lift for week 2.
    I knew him as a gentle young man, I cannot say for sure the reasons for his decline
    We watched him fade before our very eyes, and years before his time

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    I know what you mean, and I'm usually pretty mindlessly optimistic- but even factoring in for quality of opposition I think we put in the worst performance I saw for week 1 (I didn't see Pies vs. Power). Hopefully we lift for week 2.
    Yer I'm with you Stell. I am normally the epitome of optimism, but we looked like shot ducks by the end of that game on friday and I just don't see where any lift can come from.

The one positive is the swans rarely serve up two shockers in a row. You can guarantee we will bounce back, but wether our increasingly crippled side is good enough to do much more than beat the blues, and that's not going to be a walk over, is hard to say. I think we are really missing some on field leadership, and it's only just dawned on me how significant that could be to our performances. Some of the guys you can count on to show the bloods way in big games and especially finals. Goodes, LRT, Mattner, Shaw. Shaw and Goodes for their vocal instruction and the spark they can provide. Mattner and LRT for doing the selfless and courageous things, the 1%ers , the team lifters. We have some good leaders still in the side but we need more to stand up if we are to fire a shot this September.

Quote Originally Posted by Melbourne_Blood View Post
    The one positive is the swans rarely serve up two shockers in a row. You can guarantee we will bounce back, but wether our increasingly crippled side is good enough to do much more than beat the blues, and that's not going to be a walk over, is hard to say. I think we are really missing some on field leadership, and it's only just dawned on me how significant that could be to our performances. Some of the guys you can count on to show the bloods way in big games and especially finals. Goodes, LRT, Mattner, Shaw. Shaw and Goodes for their vocal instruction and the spark they can provide. Mattner and LRT for doing the selfless and courageous things, the 1%ers , the team lifters. We have some good leaders still in the side but we need more to stand up if we are to fire a shot this September.
    I think that's a big part of it Melbourne_blood. The leadership just does not seem to be there this year.

I do really think we will bounce back next week, in front of the home crowd, we should be able to lift enough to beat the blues. from my view though, its very hard to see us going to Perth and beating Freo, then lining up to beat probably Hawthorn on GF. I can't see that part happening.

But making a prelim final is no poor year - even if we were hoping to go back to back.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    then lining up to beat probably Hawthorn on GF.
    The most delicious thing about the weekend's results is that Hawthorn will likely have to get past Geelong in the PF to even get to the GF. If they get there, I think they will win it (as they are one side that seems to be able to work its way through Freo's defence) but I am sure they'd have been hoping not to have to front up against Geelong until the GF (if at all).

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast