Thread: Swans overcooked article in the HUN

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar

Swans overcooked article in the HUN

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/the...-1226715380672

Well the above article does not give you a great deal of confidence after reading the stats.

I recall last year on AFL Insider, all our stats were either top 1 or 2 however this year if we survive Carlton, I don't think Freo will lie down.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyRayCypress View Post
    http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/the...-1226715380672

Well the above article does not give you a great deal of confidence after reading the stats.

I recall last year on AFL Insider, all our stats were either top 1 or 2 however this year if we survive Carlton, I don't think Freo will lie down.
    There is some fair analysis in this piece but it is not telling us anything we didn't already know. With Collingwood and Richmond eliminated, the Herald Sun is running out of nuffs to read its 2nd rate reporting. They have to talk up Carlton's chances to sell papers. You can guarantee Geelong and Hawthorn's cause will be talked up this week as well. Freo will be largely ignored.

I'm OK with Carlton being placed in this week's hype bubble but I will be very surprised if they beat us on Saturday. The following Saturday is a different story. A rested Freo at Subi is going to be a huge mountain to try and climb.

Yep, we've been compensating for the loss of players by working our remaining players harder.

Last year we won 15 last quarters in the minor round - this year just 10.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    There is some fair analysis in this piece but it is not telling us anything we didn't already know. With Collingwood and Richmond eliminated, the Herald Sun is running out of nuffs to read its 2nd rate reporting. They have to talk up Carlton's chances to sell papers. You can guarantee Geelong and Hawthorn's cause will be talked up this week as well. Freo will be largely ignored.

I'm OK with Carlton being placed in this week's hype bubble but I will be very surprised if they beat us on Saturday. The following Saturday is a different story. A rested Freo at Subi is going to be a huge mountain to try and climb.
    I will be even more surprised if they beat us on Sunday - which , says the RWO calendar , is game day !.

Maybe a Freudian slip commentary on our lack of speed....

After seeing those stats it makes me wonder even more why we didn't pull our tired players from the round 23 game like Freo did. What was point in going all out to win that meaningless game except to kill off any remaining energy the players had to play out the season.

Opti-pessi-misti
    Thinking one week at a time! I am hoping that some how we will scratch a win this weekend mainly because it will be embarrassing for us to lose. It will come down to mind-set I believe. Carlton will be full of confidence and have nothing to lose. How much self-belief and for that matter team belief is our team left with? I like Freo's motto, 'Anywhere, anytime'. For us I would like to add, 'no matter who plays'. I hope whoever plays they go into the game confident of a win. On the two footy shows I watched last night, nearly everyone backed the Swans to win!!!

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post

I'm not sure that we already knew this, and I wonder whether the coaching staff and selection committee knew it either. I agree that the Hun will publish all sorts of trivia at this stage of the season, but these are very disturbing figures. I agree with Ludwig, and I hope we are not too proud to learn from what seems to be a mistake on a significant scale.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I'm not sure that we already knew this, and I wonder whether the coaching staff and selection committee knew it either. I agree that the Hun will publish all sorts of trivia at this stage of the season, but these are very disturbing figures. I agree with Ludwig, and I hope we are not too proud to learn from what seems to be a mistake on a significant scale.
    What I meant by saying "not telling us anything we didn't already know" is that it is obvious we have not been playing as well as 2012, that our midfield looks tired and that bombing it long is not working. All of which are features of our current form and which have been discussed extensively on RWO.

I agree it is disturbing and that there appears to have been some selection and game plan mistakes over the course of the year.