Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reignite season

reignite season

How much do we have to beat carlton to reignite our season and get the nay sayers back on board?

50 points id say

6 goals plus. Depends on how both teams play as well

6-7 goals. Plus no more injuries, a four quarter effort, some pace from Rohan or Jetts, a cameo from Goodes and several training mishaps at Subi.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    6-7 goals. Plus no more injuries, a four quarter effort, some pace from Rohan or Jetts, a cameo from Goodes and several training mishaps at Subi.
    Right on!

On the Rookie List
    Win our way into the GF and they will be back on us like there is no tomorrow. I actually don't mind all this doom and gloom talk from these nay sayers, the team thrives on it IMO and I wouldn't be surprised if we smashed Carlton this week.

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    They can come out to north west Sydney now and re-ignite it immediately.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Goes up to 11
    Minimum victory margin required this week is 1 point for mine.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Minimum victory margin required this week is 1 point for mine.
    Yep who cares about having the naysayers on board. All I want is to win the next 3 games this year by 1 point

On the Rookie List
    One can still temper their expectations according to circumstance and not be a naysayer. Only one team wins the flag, and the deeper you get into September, the more it hurts when you get knocked out of the race.

We're underdogs and outsiders for the flag right now for a list of very, very good reasons, not just because we're not Victorian.

Also, anyone would take a 1pt win in September. But for the question that barry posed in this thread, I'd say swansongster answered it well. A 1pt win against an average team on our home deck won't re-ignite anything in terms of form, execution or confidence.

We have to give Jetta and Rohan full games no matter what. They are the cards we decided we would play, so let's stick to that. Goodes needs to get a run as well. Some matchplay prior to Freo is better than nothing. I like Lamb and Morton as ins too. I think we need to rest a couple of key hobbled players and trust that we're good enough to win anyway, despite it being a final. No point winning then getting obliterated the next week. Win this week resting as many players as required, and getting game-time into some of our stars. It's not arrogance or underestimating Carlton. It's a necessary strategy with a view to being best placed to win the flag.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodthirsty View Post
    One can still temper their expectations according to circumstance and not be a naysayer. Only one team wins the flag, and the deeper you get into September, the more it hurts when you get knocked out of the race.

We're underdogs and outsiders for the flag right now for a list of very, very good reasons, not just because we're not Victorian.

Also, anyone would take a 1pt win in September. But for the question that barry posed in this thread, I'd say swansongster answered it well. A 1pt win against an average team on our home deck won't re-ignite anything in terms of form, execution or confidence.

We have to give Jetta and Rohan full games no matter what. They are the cards we decided we would play, so let's stick to that. Goodes needs to get a run as well. Some matchplay prior to Freo is better than nothing. I like Lamb and Morton as ins too. I think we need to rest a couple of key hobbled players and trust that we're good enough to win anyway, despite it being a final. No point winning then getting obliterated the next week. Win this week resting as many players as required, and getting game-time into some of our stars. It's not arrogance or underestimating Carlton. It's a necessary strategy with a view to being best placed to win the flag.
    All very good points and probably the most sensible I've seen on here. There's no point winning if we can't win on the two following weeks. That makes it necessary to roll the dice on Goodes, Jetta, and maybe LRT and Rohan. It also makes it necessary to give our key players the best chance of having an impact in the big games that follow.

I'd back our reserves to beat Carlton. They practically did on that soggy Friday night. The youngsters have shown they can play and should be given the chance to lift the team back into contention, even if that's done by giving a key player a rest.

Don't necessarily think we need to pump a team in order to reignite anything. Remember 2005 Semi? We only scraped over the line against a crappy cats outfit.

In saying that, a 100 point pumping would be nice. Although I expect a few heart-attacks as usual.

A small unimpressive win this week may just be what the doctor orders. We will go to Freo totally written off and given no hope whatsoever. If Freo take their eye off the ball and get ahead of themselves with every man and his dog in WA talking up the easy path to the GF, it may play into our hands.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast