Thread: Appointing umpires

Appointing umpires

There has been some lengthy discussion on social media regarding the appointing of umpires lately. Namely, where do the women's two divisions fit in?

In 2013, the appointing appeared to be:
    Premier - always had umpires
    Premier U18 - always had umpires
    Men's Div 1 - always had umpires
    Men's Div 2 - always had umpires
    Men's Div 3 - sometimes had 1 appointed, mostly club umpires
    Women's Div 1 - rarely 1 appointed, nearly always club umpires
    Men's Div 4 - always club umpires
    U18s Challenger - always club umpires
    Men's Div 5 - always club umpires
    Women's Div 2 - always club umpires

The women's comp has seen a new team each year for the past 6 years (including Manly for 2014) and if this is to continue, I would assume more importance needs to be put on the Premier women's comp.

In 2014, I think Women's Div 1 should use the U18 (to be U19 next year) titles of Premier and Challenger for its Divisions.

I'd also slot Women's Premier as the fourth comp to be appointed umpires - after Men's Premier, U19 Premier and Men's Div 1.

womens ahead of div 2? lol. I could accept above div 3 though. But seriously, I saw the finals the other day, just put a dog out there to umpire and it won't make much difference.

Quote Originally Posted by saviour01 View Post
    womens ahead of div 2? lol. I could accept above div 3 though. But seriously, I saw the finals the other day, just put a dog out there to umpire and it won't make much difference.
    The Div 2 or Div 1 finals? There is a big difference in standard. Watch the Balmain v Sydney Uni Grand Final in Div 1 this weekend - it should open your eyes. You won't be LOLing, I can assure you. Two of the girls in the Grand Final played in the Melbourne v Western Bulldogs curtain raiser - they and many others have better skills than a lot of the men in lower divisions.

How very disrespectful of you Saviour. Have a good hard look at yourself. What makes you or anyone else think they are more deserving of umpire allocation than the Women's League. Their contribution in effort, enthusiasm and financial input to put teams on the paddock is no different to anybody else's. I can speak first hand far more highly of these credentials that many of the women's teams which far outweigh a large majority of the men's who could only wish to be as united, dedicated and playing for all the right reasons other than like your do demonstrated self-indulgence.

Where are all the female umpires?

Why do premier division get umps ahead of div 5? I'm sure they have lots of effort and enthusiasm too.

Quote Originally Posted by saviour01 View Post
    Why do premier division get umps ahead of div 5? I'm sure they have lots of effort and enthusiasm too.
    Think you missed the point. Maybe you should just stick with the progressive thought around the dog - think you might have been onto something, especially if it was a Toy Poodle or a Chihuahua that the ladies could bring to the game in their handbag.

Perfect!

Goose.

Grand Final Umpires

Who are they?