Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Eastern Conference Grand Final: Sydney Swans Reserves v Belconnen Magpies

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    But we get to play more listed players in that, so do they so no advantage. It will be interesting who plays for each team. What has happened to Morto?
    There were no restrictions today all 14 listed players played

Best Players: T. Armstrong, J. Lamb, J. Lockyer, J. Lloyd, D. Towers, S. Wray

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Thank you everyone for your comments and tweets. Good to hear the boys do so well.
    And a special thank you to ugg for the work he puts in and for giving us the benefit of his vast knowledge of all things ressie, not to mention his take on the seniors.
    I'll second that! Great work Ugg!

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Best Players: T. Armstrong, J. Lamb, J. Lockyer, J. Lloyd, D. Towers, S. Wray
    Seems to help getting listed in the Best if your initials are J.L.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Seems to help getting listed in the Best if your initials are J.L.
    John Longmire? Hmmmmmm

John Longmire? Hmmmmmm
    Well I read John Longmire was there ( as well as Adam Goodes) so perhaps he did pull on his footy shorts again and take to the field? At least he got a personal view of LRT's return. Which might be handy before this season is done.

Yep he was there as was Andrew Ireland

Just back from Canberra, I can tell you the trip back up the highway flies past much quicker when you're celebrating a win rather than a loss. I'll post a more detailed report soon but I just wanted to say the match was built upon the solid work of the back six. At the beginning of the year with the two previous key defenders in Campbell Heath and Jack Lynch having left the club, the defence at times looked shaky and disjointed. But as season has progressed, spending more time playing together has resulted in a major improvement up to the point where today their excellent one on one work was complemented by great support play by their fellow defenders. Belconnen really struggled to get many clear chances at goal, save for some incredible goals by Shane Harris. Even then, his direct opponent Stephen Wray played well again on him, reprising the same role he did on Harris 2 weeks ago at Blacktown.

Armstrong was clearly the best on ground for mine, his work in congestion early on was inspirational and vital to steady the expected physical onslaught from Belconnen, and his kicking was unerringly accurate both coming out of defence and delivering some sizzling passes on a platter for his forwards to run onto. Also clearly his best game of the year and a great time to put together such a performance but he's unlikely to get back into the seniors due to the good performance by Biggs on Saturday. Lamb was also terrific early on, his powerful surging runs in traffic were a real highlight and although he wasn't as prominent later on, he really set up the win with his leadership against a tough opposition midfield. Naismith was surprisingly agile for a guy his size, and his sometimes fanciful and exuberant taps in the first quarter were toned down after being instructed to by Crouch at quarter time. I would definitely like to see him get another season, preferably an injury free one, to see how his game could develop under the tutelage of the coaches, Taubert in particular.

As for the injury returnees:
    LRT - Started deep, kicked the first goal, was involved in plenty of play in and around the forward 50 area. I thought he moved very well and at times did drift back to help in defence. In the second half, he started on that slightly forward of centre wing position that Jesse has made his own in the seniors. His 2 goals were 2 tough set shots from tight angles and he also laid off a few score assists. One of his last plays was in the fourth quarter with a double one-two with Lloyd Perris (who btw will be a very, very good player for us) on the wing and although he had space he couldn't run any more and fed it back to Perris. Taken off and mothballed soon after that. Would that performance be enough for a run around Subi? Hard to say, but if he was asked to park his butt down in the goalsquare against the resting ruckman I guess it could work.

Rohan - also played forward, didn't see a lot of the ball, had a handful of almost-maybe marks that didn't quite come off and a brilliant checkside goal from some distance out. Had one of his calves iced at three quarter time and I don't think he played any of the last quarter.

BTW, it looks as though the number of listed players allowed in a finals match has been increased from 12 last year to 14 this year. All 25 warmed up, took the team photo and stood for the national anthem but then when the game started 3 topups in Hadden, Codd-Miller and Stratford were the ones cut.

The Cross-Conference Title has been set for Saturday at Aspley in Queensland. It looks like we will be fielding a weakened team due to some of today's team replacing injured players and possibly Teddy. Perhaps the coaches can drag Mitch Morton out for one last run out in the red and white.

Veteran Site Admin
    The Cross-Conference Title has been set for Saturday at Aspley in Queensland. It looks like we will be fielding a weakened team due to some of today's team replacing injured players and possibly Teddy. Perhaps the coaches can drag Mitch Morton out for one last run out in the red and white.
    Not to mention a full quotient of senior emergencies likely to be taken over to Perth.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Not to mention a full quotient of senior emergencies likely to be taken over to Perth.
    Just read on the Brisbane BF board that a lot of players are due start holidays today so they might have a weakened side too.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast