Thread: Umpiring Geelong

Umpiring Geelong

I watched the Geelong/Port game with great interest. I have no love or hate for either team so I don't think what I noticed was due to an internal bias, let me know what you think.

At a crucial point in the game, when Geelong were making a comeback, Port lifted in response. Anytime a Geelong player went near the ball there was a Port player to tackle them. But in this 5 minute period Port could not buy a free kick. On a number of occasions I saw the ball pinball from Geelong player to Geelong player, every one of them dropping or throwing the ball but no frees for Port. If the ball went to a Port player there would be a free for holding the ball or throwing rather quickly. If I were a port fan I would be very angry. There was a holding the ball free kick right in front when the player clearly handballed the ball away as he was tackled from behind.

The contested ball is one of the most important parts of the game, Port were trying their guts out and playing clean footy but Geelong kept getting all the frees. Most uncharacteristically I think I will be barracking for Hawthorn next week because if the Swans came up against Geelong and lost the way Port did last night I would be livid.

Couldn't agree more. I was cheering Port so perhaps a little less neutral (can't help going for the underdog). But it was so disappointing

Geelong been doing it for years. The game earlier in the year at the SCG they just pushed it forward at any cost - whether legally or illegally. Geelong always get the rub of the green with the umpires - partially because they are damn good and make their own luck, partially due to pushing the envelope (i.e. Selwood) and partially because of crap umpiring.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

On the wing
    Worst umpiring I have seen in years. I get a great feeling of injustice when the Swans get the bad end of the umpiring stick. But I was outraged at what happened to Port.

Yep, that game was a shocker. Geelong do get it easy from the umpires.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

I think there is a perception that the cats players (winning and dominating for so long now) are on another level skill wise therefore the umpires give them a little more lee way to dispose of the football. But i cant for me explain why the umps do the home ground umpiring at skilled.

The hawks are now the ones who the umps find frees and are always allowed back into the contest when a team dominates them for 5-10 minutes. Usually the ump will find something out on their wing and pay a free which usually leads to a goal and kills the momentum for their opposition and brings them back into the game. Its happened to us a few times already and freo copped it during the 3rd term of the GF.