Thread: Swans Clayton Team List rebuild

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar

Swans Clayton Team List rebuild

As I was awake for most of the night with the worst cold, the thought of the Swans injury situation and team rebuilding came to mind. My understanding of a team re-building occurs when most of the senior players retire or are moved on and the Club replenishes its team with young players. The average age of the list then significantly lowers.

I am surprised that no commentators have looked into this more seriously although the heavy losses over the last three weeks may have diverted their attention.

So the changes that have been forced onto the Swans this year in no particular order:

1. Rampe
    2. Mitchell
    3. B. Jack
    4. X. Richards
    5. Cunningham
    6. Biggs
    7. Lamb

Then more game day time for:
    8. Everitt
    9. White
    10. Rohan

So in all it adds up to a significant number of players.

Add to this the return next year of:
    1. Johnson
    2. Reid

I would think that it qualifies the Club as having a rebuild. The other significant aspect is that of the first 7 players mentioned, non are KP players.

For further consideration on the matter, with the retirements of Mattner, Morton and Jude at the end of this year, are the careers of the following based on game play/debut finished:

Armstrong
    Alex Brown
    Jordan Lockyer. I'm too sick to look for my reference book but I think Lockyer joined the Club as the same time as Brown.

So possibly something to think about if you miss the NEAFL game on this first non football Sunday.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

On the Rookie List
    I was thinking about starting a thread entitled "Delistings".

Lockyer and Brown were two, I was going to surmise, would probably go. They seem to be the two oldest untried players on our list. A bit of a shame that those of us who don't get to watch the maggoos may never know how they played. All the other draftees of their year have played, i think.

Warming the Bench
    add walsh to delistings.with our FRESH recruits for 2014 we are ok. eg goodes,reid,shaw,lrt,johnson,rohan and jetta.
    resign mumford and white the world looks rosy

- - - Updated - - -

add walsh to delistings.with our FRESH recruits for 2014 we are ok. eg goodes,reid,shaw,lrt,johnson,rohan and jetta.
    resign mumford and white the world looks rosy
    forgotten 1996
    2005 a much sweeter memory,2012 even better

Pushing for Selection
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    I was thinking about starting a thread entitled "Delistings".

Lockyer and Brown were two, I was going to surmise, would probably go. They seem to be the two oldest untried players on our list. A bit of a shame that those of us who don't get to watch the maggoos may never know how they played. All the other draftees of their year have played, i think.
    In defence of Lockyer & Brown, despite being in the system for a couple of years they are still younger than Xavier, Biggs, Mitchell & just older than Cunningham. Their age might just give them another chance. Combine that with a high turnover of the list last year and a minimum of three retirements already announced.

Hey we could still win the flag yet....can we have a hold on a delisting thread till then???/ :-)

But Seriously, Walsh was looking very, very good on the might he ripped his hamstring...certainty to stay
    Lockyer and Brown drafted together but all reserves reports saying they are both coming good....remember they have both had really injury interrupted careers so far (Mitchell and Lamb, anyone??) so you'd be nuts to throw that bathwater out just now....more concerned that Marsh and Dick appear to have done, well, dick, all year...but then they have 2 year contracts, presumably.

And are we gonna draft James Bennett or what?

- - - Updated - - -

ON the other hand Rampe has been elevated to Seniors for 2014 and Biggs, B. Jack, X. Richards are all strong contenders to be elevated as well. All would be targeted by other clubs you would think (they are off contract, of course being rookies...) - so we may need extra delistings other than Morton, Mattner and Bolton
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

I believe Brown, Lockyer and Walsh are all contracted next year. I think they'll all stay. There will be a lot of decisions to be regarding KPPs at the end of season.

Veterans List
    I played for Clayton as a young bloke. Silvio Foschini came from there.

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by lorakf View Post
    In defence of Lockyer & Brown, despite being in the system for a couple of years they are still younger than Xavier, Biggs, Mitchell & just older than Cunningham. Their age might just give them another chance. Combine that with a high turnover of the list last year and a minimum of three retirements already announced.
    Do we have to trim our list to a certain number by Oct 31? Maybe we will re-draft those that we delist?

Warming the Bench
    brown and lockyer both very good in todays grand final
    forgotten 1996
    2005 a much sweeter memory,2012 even better

Brown is always good. There hasn't been a vacancy for a player of his type this year. Everitt would be closest but Brown much closer checking. I think Dick is very shaky, take that whatever way you like. His delivery is still poor after a year here. Lockyer has played well the last 5-6 games. I think Dick will be saved by the fact he has only been here a year and has the two year compulsory deal.

The Reserves ratings:

Membrey; Has played very well after a slow start. I think it is very hard for a lead up forward to change from one game plan to the next and he was just getting used to our plan. Very impressive in the Qualifying Final kicking 7 goals and the GF with 3.5. Very close to senior selection a couple of times.

Towers; After a slow start he too has fitted in superbly. A very strong player with a huge kick on him. He plays a lead up forward and is seldom beaten. Very close to senior selection for a good part of the second part of the season.

BJ; We have all seen a glimpse of what the kid is capable of and he can only get better with another pre-season.

Lambchop; Very clever and dominates at NEAFL level and just has to bring that to the table at AFL level. Will be a great player, sometimes the very clever ones take a little time.

Jake Lloyd: What a great talent this kid really is. Fast, elusive, great delivery, strong mark and endurance. This kid will be a gun for us for a lot of years. There has been some talk about him being a little small but he is playing against men now and killing them. He just needs to build up a bit and the pre-season weights will do that, look for a boy who is a bit bigger next year.

Daniel Robinson; Where the bloody hell did they get him from? He is such a great young player. He has wonderful poise and is a huge kick. He can do it inside or out and is a very strong mark. He will get a game next year if just to blood him.

Matthew Dick; he is fast there is no doubt. But his delivery lets him down too often. He is a good mark but if you are going to take a strong grab the last thing you need is to cough it up and he does that far too often.

Jordan Lockyer; He is a solid defender who's run toward the end of the season has been good. His early season was very ordinary and half way through I had thrown the towel in ion him. But he has come good and we might just keep him.

Alex Brown; A very good defender. The opportunities have not come his way as yet but I think if the right spot comes up he would be very good. A real team player and seems to have the respect of his team-mates.

Xavier Richards; This lad is going to be really something. A very good player. Wonderful mark, very good kick, strong, great spoiler and seems to float out of defence. He can have the odd brain fade but generally a very good player.

Sam Naismith; Injured for much of the year but saw him last year as a toppie and he has the goods. His return has been fantastic. The last three games he has been pretty dominant in the ruck and very good up forward. Very mobile and clever for a 203cm player. You don't see too many his size taking his own hit out and dodging three players and giving off three times and getting back twice in a passage of play. Wait until this young fella plays a game. He is a ruckman so he will be developed slowly.

Tony A; He was superb in the NEAFL GF he dominated and I would think he got the Alex Jesaulenko medal. He has been very good and has worked very hard on his tackling and body work.

Harrison Marsh; He showed he is a very capable player when he was on the park. Unfortunately injured late in the season. very good delivery, strong mark and brings strength to the contest. Good player.

Shane Biggs; we are just seeing what young Biggsie can do. He will be very good for us. He has that run out of defence and is deceptively quick. Generally a good deliverer and strong mark. His defensive skills are very good and his player generally doesn't get too much without a scrap.

I think we need to draft Lloyd Perris and young Dawe from Newcastle. Some of the younger academy boys are looking good too. Thomas Head may also be one for drafting, he is a 200cm forward. There is always a chance of turning him ito a back or changing Sammy to the defence.

Opti-pessi-misti
    Thanks Wolfie for your very informative report. So many promising players coming through but not too many spots available. I suspect that Cunningham got promoted this weekend because of his speed but the fact that he got a game ahead of Lamb must be a bit concerning for Lamb who was real keen at the end of last year to improve enough to play in the finals (seniors) this year .