Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: So who do you want to win on Saturday?

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by goswannies View Post
    Who do I want to win on Saturday? Mike Pyke? Is he our representative in the Grand Final Sprint? Surely Rohan or Jetta won't run. That's the only interest I have on GF day now
    Give Brandon a go.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I want Freo to win ... and become the new Kennett Curse for the next 3 seasons.
    CIA Agent to Policeman: "Have you ever had anti-terrorist training?"
    Policeman: "Yes, I was married once."

My theory which I have expressed elsewhere, is that Freo are wearing the white strip because they want to remind everyone that they are Grand Final Virgins.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

McVeigh for Brownlow Site Admin RogueSwan's Avatar
    Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Primmy View Post
    My theory which I have expressed elsewhere, is that Freo are wearing the white strip because they want to remind everyone that they are Grand Final Virgins.
    is that what the white "V" represents

BTW I hope Freo thumps the Poos and Wees. Stick it right up their sense of entitlement.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

Senior Player
    As a boy growing up in Melbourne I followed the Hawks (before moving to Sydney and jumping ship to the Bloods in the early 80s) but I want Freo to win this one. I know how amazing it was in 2005 to finally win it, and I'm sure Cats fans felt the same thing in 2007. Generations of people thinking that it may never happen in their lifetime. I have a lot of respect for Ross Lyon. He's a great coach who deserves to win a flag. He lucked out twice with the Saints in games that could have gone either way. Sure Ballantyne and Crowley annoy the sheet out of each and every one of us. Still their footballing smarts can't be denied even if they do push the boundaries as far as boundaries can be pushed. Hawthorn had their day in the sun in 2008. There is only one thing that would be more irritating than an ebullient Ballantyne and Crowley, and that's a smarmy-faced Kennett.
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Snajik puts it pretty well, but when footy has been so much more creative and open the passed few years I'd hate to see the intense clamp become predominant again. I'd have to go with Freo because they're not Victorian and they are overdue. Sometimes that can change as soon as the first bounce... the inner voice takes over.

I'm a bit surprised by the views on Freo's white jumper. I spent a lot of time in he US where it is common for the home team to wear a white jumper. I went to many New York Knicks basketball and Rangers ice hockey games and none of the fans seemed to mind that the home team wore white. It was actually quite nice to see the variety of colours and design of the visiting teams. If the visiting team wore white, there would never be any variety from one game to the next. All the away teams would look the same.

I would prefer the American system where the home team always wears a mostly white jumper, while the away team wears what we would call their traditional home jumper. This would put an end to the whole jumper clash controversy, especially involving some Melbourne teams which look very similar, particularly on tv.

Sir Ashmole Gruntbucket hot potato's Avatar
    Freo , it's a massive story what they have achieved and I like non Vic teams to win the Granny, Lyon is the coolest dude in coaching, Pav deserves this after 290, the fans have to travel so far, I'll be much happier if they win, and feel little emotion if the Hawks win. Freo have a crappy song, but I hope they sing it one more time.
    HP

I understand why people wouldnt want to go for the Hawks, i certainly wont be, just interested to see a few people say theyll be going for Freo because they arent victorian, whats the big Vic hate stem from? We do originate from Melbourne and have many melbourne boys playing for us and heaps of vic supporters so is it a melbourne media thing or do some dislike our vic routes and vic players as well. Not trying to cause a stir im really interested to know why, as a swan supporter in melbourne the media @@@@s me to tears but i dont hate victoria for it.

For me they a lot of them just pretend its a national league and refuse to let go of their sacred cows. The Big 4, the lesser 6 or so. Tasmania crapped on. SANFL and WAFL were fine leagues. Why so many Victorian teams when its the AFL? The MCG (I can cope with that) The Brownlow and so much more... Nothing to do with Victoria

Quote Originally Posted by bodgie View Post
    For me they a lot of them just pretend its a national league and refuse to let go of their sacred cows. The Big 4, the lesser 6 or so. Tasmania crapped on. SANFL and WAFL were fine leagues. Why so many Victorian teams when its the AFL? The MCG (I can cope with that) The Brownlow and so much more... Nothing to do with Victoria
    Oh okay now i get it so its the Victorian bias of the AFL, and fair enough too although living down here all you here about is the snide AfL Sydney Swans comments and the fact that apparently the AFL runs our club and makes sure we dont have suspensions and land any player we want. Wish it were true just so i could ask who dropped the ball on Ablett. ;]

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by On-Baller View Post
    I understand why people wouldnt want to go for the Hawks, i certainly wont be, just interested to see a few people say theyll be going for Freo because they arent victorian, whats the big Vic hate stem from? We do originate from Melbourne and have many melbourne boys playing for us and heaps of vic supporters so is it a melbourne media thing or do some dislike our vic routes and vic players as well. Not trying to cause a stir im really interested to know why, as a swan supporter in melbourne the media @@@@s me to tears but i dont hate victoria for it.
    If you can get hold of a copy of Garry Linnell's book Football LTD you will find most of the answers to your questions. There was an attempt to set up a national administration under the title of National Football League. Linnell continues:
    "The NFL was, supposedly, the governing body of the sport in the country, boasting representatives from all state bodies around the country.
    But in reality it was a paper tiger. The VFL attempted to control it and when the other states rebelled and vetoed any VFL proposal, the Victorians went ahead and did it anyway."
    (Page 140)
    Other people on this board have given their own take from time to time. I won't name them, but if anyone wants to chip in here with their own stories I hope they will. The fundamental issue is: is this a national game or not? It's all very well to call it "Australia's game", as has been done increasingly of recent times (the book of that title is a cracker), but the administration is still very much Victorian in orientation. An example: why is there no Tasmanian team in the national competition when it is a dyed-in-the-wool Australian Football state?
    But on this subject you could run a thread longer than Tippett's!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)