Thread: The pain of a Grand Final win

The pain of a Grand Final win

This time last year we were the toast of the AFL...

What started as deserved praise of the Swans, a great club having a great win in a great Grand Final, has now turned full circle, to the one the Hawks lost...

And this year was all about redemption for the Hawks.

I know they're wrong, and they can't take it back....but it still really pisses me off.

To successfully climb that mountain and hear..."Yeah, but that was only because they didn't kick straight"...

That's like saying."If we had more inside 50's we would of won by 10 goals"........

It's rubbish.

The facts are we played 3 great finals, including a great grand final, where we laid over 100 tackles, we took our chances, and won fair and square....

WE WERE THE BEST TEAM OF 2012....END OF STORY
    Last edited by ernie koala; 1st October 2013 at 01:01 AM.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Veteran Site Admin
    It is irritating. Though it's the same as the Hawks endured in 2008, and their fans would have been just as pissed off in 2009 when it was all about redemption for the Cats.

Today it struck me for the first time that we are no longer the reigning premier and it wasn't a nice feeling. First, I took my 'WEG' poster down from the wall above my desk. (We have two Hawks fans in our Sydney office and I think it might have been defaced by one of them if I hadn't decided it was time to retire it.)

And then this evening, I watched AFL360, the first footy I have watched since switching channels immediately after the siren sounded on Saturday. The Hawks deserved their win, and I was kind of OK with the fact that we weren't involved as we clearly weren't one of the two best sides this season. But then watching all the stuff on the Hawks post game celebrations this evening finally made it hit home that it wasn't us, and I did start to feel envious.

The pain is a little mitigated by my belief we're in an excellent position to serious challenge for the 2014 flag, pending the outcome of the Mumford situation, and what solution the Swans might have up their sleeve if Mummy does leave (which I am kind of resigned to now).

Makes me proud every time the Hawks talk about redemption. After a whole year of pretending they've 'moved on' they finally admit they've been hurting all year. YES!

Plus, while I really don't want Buddy at the Swans, it would be almost worth it just to stick it to Hawks fans.

According to Neil Cordy, we're throwing $1.4m a year at Buddy.
    Sydney has made a bid to steal Lance Franklin at the last minute

[

If redemption is beating a team that had trouble hitting the behind post from 30 metres out, beating a team that fumbled the ball to the point of embarrassment, winning in a dour game not worthy of the word contest, then they can have their redemption. Hawthorn were a good team all year and deserve their victory.

At least we won in a contest that was exciting from the first minute to the last between 2 teams at the top of their game. We won the Granny in what will be remembered as one of the great Grand Finals of all time. This Grand Final will be forgotten by Wednesday. The toilet breaks were more exciting. Everyone has already moved on to trade week.

I most pleasing thing about the Swans is that we are in it every year. I know we will be up for the challenge next year and for many years to come. I don't know how many Grand Finals will be at the end of the road, but I know it will be exciting to be a Swans fans for well into the future.

To back up last year with a top 4 finish is amazing, especially considering the injuries we had. Getting games into the kids this year and getting guys like AJ, Jetta and LRT back makes me very optimistic about 2014.

It irritates me as well Ernie. To say the Hawks were the best team that year and lost the game (as opposed to the Swans winning it) ignores some important facts about the game and about the season itself.

- we were ladder leaders for 8 weeks and only relinquished that after a classic at the SCG
    - Defeated the Crows away and the Pies to make the GF so we certainly deserved to be there.
    - in the game itself after a poor 1st qtr we kicked 8 straight and if not for a JPK poster and a dodgy momentum changing free to Hale we could have won by 50.
    - With a number of blokes on one leg we found ourselves down by 2 kicks with the HOME team having all the momentum. How they found a way to win will always live in my memory as one the GREAT GF wins and is talked about in awe by those journos and supporters without agendas.

How anyone could believe that we didn't deserve the flag is just mind boggling. Add the fact we made the top 4 the year after with an injury list as long the aftermath of a Hells Angels barbecue speaks volume about the quality of the football team.

Get some luck with injuries next year and I feel 2014 WILL be the year the Swans get some "redemption" ourselves again the naysayers.
    ..And the Swans are the Premiers...The Ultimate Team...The Ultimate Warriors. They have overcome the highly fancied Hawks in brilliant style. Sydney the 2012 Premiers - Gerard Whately ABC

Here it is Again! - Huddo SEN

I was listening to SEN yesterday and someone said ..."Well if the Premiers are to improve next year they will need to reshape their list slightly".....it wasn't till he then said..... "and with Buddy going they will have Salary to play with...." that I realised he was talking about Hawthorn not Sydney....Gutted!
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005