Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Perris Joins The Rookie List

On the veteran's list

What are the facts about Lloyd Perris?

I'm not privy to the details about Lloyd Perris. Can somebody (in the know) answer the following questions? (Liz?)

1. Is the kid OK/Promising/Good/Too Good to Miss/Potential Champion?

2. Where is his playing position?

3. He's an academy kid. Is it true he must play for us if we put him on our primary list?

4. Does the same apply if we decide to rookie him?

5. How can (as the papers say) he be picked up with our last draft pick and then rookied? Or are they talking about our last rookie pick?

6. If the Swans believed he was going to be a gun, would they not sew up him up now?

7. Is the fact that we don't seem to have much room to move in terms of draft picks (and we have to have 3 spots and we have rookie elevations coming out our ears) creating a situation where a highish pick will have to be used to list this kid when there may be better options in the draft? i.e.. If we were to have 6 live selections I don't think all this would be a problem.
    Those who have the greatest power to hurt us are those we love.

My opinion:

1. Think Amon Buchanan size with brilliant footy smarts.

Don't need to know anymore if the above is a correct assessment, just get him on the list.

The way the rookie list rules are today, it hardly matters which list he is on, main list or rookie list. Rampe played 23 games this year as a rookie, as well as games to BJ, X-Man and Biggs. If money is the issue, just rookie him and pay him extra (if rules allow?). If he can't get promoted during the year because we have no injuries, then he won't be getting a senior game anyway at this stage.

EDIT: I'll try and answer your points.

1. Too good to miss (potential)

2. Midfield

3. Yes

4. Yes

5. We need to keep 1 live pick to use on him at the end. ie. If we have 6 live picks, we can choose up to 5 players and then Perris. If we choose 4, we'll in effect be passing on our 5th and pick Perris with our 6th. If we decide to rookie him, he is rookied as an Academy selection before the rookie draft, so he never actually gets to the draft stage.

6. I'm sure they will.

7. You're right, we have more players then spots at the minute.
    Last edited by Triple B; 26th September 2013 at 07:54 PM.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    My opinion:

1. Think Amon Buchanan size with brilliant footy smarts.

Don't need to know anymore if the above is a correct assessment, just get him on the list.

The way the rookie list rules are today, it hardly matters which list he is on, main list or rookie list. Rampe played 23 games this year as a rookie, as well as games to BJ, X-Man and Biggs. If money is the issue, just rookie him and pay him extra (if rules allow?). If he can't get promoted during the year because we have no injuries, then he won't be getting a senior game anyway at this stage.
    Pretty much sums it up.

On the one hand, I think Perris is within his rights to want a senior list spot and to nominate for the draft if the Swans don't offer him that. Notwithstanding list management issues, since we have to add two non-rookie elevation players to the senior list this year as a minimum, I reckon the Swans should just bite the bullet and put him on the senior list rather than risk losing him. Not only does he probably warrant it, talent wise (if not Swans priority list requirements wise), it will give a fillip to younger Academy players coming behind him that the Swans really will give players a chance to play for them if they are good enough.

On the other hand, he has received a lot of benefits - financial and coaching - from the Swans over the last 3 and a half years. So maybe he should be willing to accept a rookie list spot offered (guaranteed for two years), especially knowing that which list he is on is very unlikely to affect his chances of playing senior football, even in the short term.

There is a conflict in some info from the above 2 posts. If Perris MUST accept either a primary or rookie list placement if offered, then how can he also be permitted to nominate for the draft? Refer to answers to questions 3 and 4.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    There is a conflict in some info from the above 2 posts. If Perris MUST accept either a primary or rookie list placement if offered, then how can he also be permitted to nominate for the draft? Refer to answers to questions 3 and 4.
    He has to accept a senior list spot if offered. He can choose to decline a rookie list spot and nominate for the draft. The question is really whether he has some obligation to accept a rookie spot if that is all the Swans will / can offer.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    He has to accept a senior list spot if offered. He can choose to decline a rookie list spot and nominate for the draft. The question is really whether he has some obligation to accept a rookie spot if that is all the Swans will / can offer.
    That's what I'm not clear about. In any case, we shouldn't let him go, because it's picking up a quality young player without using a draft pick. It sounds like some senior players will be departing, so there's bound to be a space freed up on the senior list for Perris if need be.

- - - Updated - - -

liz can we carry Llyod and Perris in 2014 on our list ?
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    I didn't get a chance this year to see as many ressies games as I would have liked to.

However there have been plenty of players that stood out at that level that never amounted to anything in terms of firsts. Many even won awards as being the b & f.

Having had "the next Goodes" in Mr Cheese, two Irishmen that were "the next Judd and the next Carey" and went back to Ireland, if this kid is as good as people claim then I imagine the Club will take him.

GWS had no interest in Martin , so sometimes its not always just ability.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

I don't know much about this topic but does the fact that Perris is a Swans scholarship holder make a difference? I've copied the words below from a post in a previous thread about Perris. What I infer from these words and the reports about Roos' interest is that someone has suggested to Perris that he decline a rookie listing (see second point below) because Melbourne would draft him. This I assume means that to be assured of holding Perris the Swans would need to apply to put him on the senior list under the first point below. I assume this could be the reason for some of the anger displayed towards Roos.

"Inclusion onto an AFL List

> If the scholarship listed player is of eligible draft age, a club may apply to transfer the player from the scholarship list to the main list on the day the main list is lodged (off-season) with the AFL prior to the National Draft (normal list numbers must be maintained).
    > If the scholarship listed player is of eligible draft age, a club may apply to transfer the player from the scholarship list to the rookie list on the day the main list is lodged (off-season) with the AFL prior to the National Draft and the player consents (i.e. if the player believes he will be taken in the National Draft by another club he may choose to forgo being rookie listed).
    > If the scholarship player is not chosen to be listed on either the main or rookie list, he may nominate for the National Draft at the expiration of his contract ? if the player nominates himself and is not selected his club may include him on their rookie list prior to the Rookie draft."

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    liz can we carry Llyod and Perris in 2014 on our list ?
    They can both stay on our list and count as one player if they agree to change their name to Jake Lloyd-Perris and further be referred to a JLP (in the LRT tradition). JLP 1 can retain his present #44. This number will also be assigned to JLP 2, but when worn by JLP 2 he will have to wear the jumper inside out. It's perfectly legal; it's in the rules. Check it out!

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    They can both stay on our list and count as one player if they agree to change their name to Jake Lloyd-Perris and further be referred to a JLP (in the LRT tradition). JLP 1 can retain his present #44. This number will also be assigned to JLP 2, but when worn by JLP 2 he will have to wear the jumper inside out. It's perfectly legal; it's in the rules. Check it out!
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I don't know much about this topic but does the fact that Perris is a Swans scholarship holder make a difference? I've copied the words below from a post in a previous thread about Perris. What I infer from these words and the reports about Roos' interest is that someone has suggested to Perris that he decline a rookie listing (see second point below) because Melbourne would draft him. This I assume means that to be assured of holding Perris the Swans would need to apply to put him on the senior list under the first point below. I assume this could be the reason for some of the anger displayed towards Roos.
    There is some ambiguity, but I agree with you that on the weight of evidence this would seem to be the case.

Page 1 of 8 12345 ... LastLast