Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First game at the SCG

Happy and I know it
    Fact: contract to play at ANZ is until 2016. Sad, but true.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Quote Originally Posted by Swansongster View Post
    Ready for the Ashes is the target (and I think they have already sold the tickets for that game). Correct me if I am wrong but I believe the new capacity will be 487,000.
    487,000? I don't think so! Maybe 50,000 I believe.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I think it is three AFL games. We played two home games there this year and the Giants one (against us).
    Giants will probably play the first game against us at Skoda. So very few ANZ for them.

Quote Originally Posted by barry View Post
    We need more games at ANZ, not less.
    Why?

Terrible ground, terrible atmosphere and we don't play well there. The players also hate playing there. Oh, and the pitch....

Could understand the development angle before but surely that is the Bogans' turf now...

All three games this season v the Bogans (23,690), Pies (42,627) and Hawks (37,980) ,in a season where we are reigning premiers and challenging again, would have easily have been accommodated at a redeveloped SCG. Give me a full SCG any day over a half full concrete park. It's simply an awful match day experience and whilst I went to two games there this year I always leave saying "never again", I know many Swans fans that will not miss a SCG game but now "don't do Homebush"...

Only reason I could see is to keep Cavalier and the blazer brigade at the SCG honest in terms of our stadium deal...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by erica View Post
    Fact: contract to play at ANZ is until 2016. Sad, but true.
    Cool, only three more years.

It has served its purpose, a 48,000 capacity stadium is more than adequate for all Swans games post 2016, including (especially) finals...

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Why?

Terrible ground, terrible atmosphere and we don't play well there. The players also hate playing there. Oh, and the pitch....

Could understand the development angle before but surely that is the Bogans' turf now...

All three games this season v the Bogans (23,690), Pies (42,627) and Hawks (37,980) ,in a season where we are reigning premiers and challenging again, would have easily have been accommodated at a redeveloped SCG. Give me a full SCG any day over a half full concrete park.

Only reason I could see is to keep Cavalier and the blazer brigade at the SCG honest in terms of our stadium deal...
    Are you a soccer fan? It is not a PITCH! It is a surface and an arena!! Soccer is played on a pitch not AFL! Or it is an OVAL!

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Are you a soccer fan? It is not a PITCH! It is a surface and an arena!! Soccer is played on a pitch not AFL! Or it is an OVAL!
    Whatever.....

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    GWS are apparently looking to move their home game vs us from ANZ to Skoda. Sounds like they aren't keen on the venue either.

The only reason we would play any home games away from a revamped SCG next year would be due to the contract between the AFL and the Mike Fitzpatrick-owned ANZ stadium....
    No please I don't want our away GWS game at SKODA. While I would like to play at SKODA it would mean 3 games at ANZ + 1 at SKODA so one less at SCG.

Veteran Site Admin
    I don't see why the AFL would play the Swans vs Giants at Skoda. I realise the derby ain't gonna fill Stadium Australia for a wee while yet, but a game at Skoda would see significant numbers locked out. Hardly the way to build a rivalry.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I don't see why the AFL would play the Swans vs Giants at Skoda. I realise the derby ain't gonna fill Stadium Australia for a wee while yet, but a game at Skoda would see significant numbers locked out. Hardly the way to build a rivalry.
    I agree but reportedly that's what GWS have asked for.

Giants set for home opening in 2014 - m.afl.com.au

I for one am looking forward to Swans v GWS at Skoda. It is probably the best viewing ground in the AFL, definitely the best food and drink amenities and it will be packed to the rafters.

Should be a great night...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

I agree Triple B.

My understanding is that the SCG won't be ready for the Ashes but will be ready for the baseball.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

First game at the SCG

I'm with you Triple B. I think it's a great little ground with a really good atmosphere. I went to the Richmond game there this year, which had a record crowd for Sheedy's farewell, and it was great!

GWS haven't filled it yet and would be keen to showcase it with a big crowd. I hope it doesn't mean that the Swans will have to host an extra game at the worst ground in Australia, but I certainly get where GWS are coming from and I'm looking forward to the game there!

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    I agree Triple B.

My understanding is that the SCG won't be ready for the Ashes but will be ready for the baseball.
    This is what it says on SCG website dated October:

"Installation of the new pavilion-style roof for the new MA Noble, Bradman and Messenger Stands commenced this week as the development moves ahead to be in operation for the Ashes Test Match at the SCG commencing on 3 January."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast