Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: First game at the SCG

why play

Quote Originally Posted by Bloodthirsty View Post
    Baz you're absolutely in love with ANZ Ice Skating Rink NASA Black Hole Simulator...I mean...stadium.
    why do they play there been to SCG great ground?

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by tasmania60 View Post
    why do they play there been to SCG great ground?
    $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ for people that pull the strings.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    I agree but reportedly that's what GWS have asked for.

Giants set for home opening in 2014 - m.afl.com.au
    I hope they don't get it. The AFL is contracted to play three games at ANZ. Don't see why we should have to give up our home ground advantage for three and the Giants for none. And we're the only side they're could play there this year that will get a crowd of 20,000+.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    I for one am looking forward to Swans v GWS at Skoda. It is probably the best viewing ground in the AFL, definitely the best food and drink amenities and it will be packed to the rafters.

Should be a great night...
    For a change I agree with you. The viewing experience is very good at Skoda and the amenities are far better than SCG or ANZ. Kebabs are tops and the other food seems really good too. Just don't bother trying to get hot chips from the doughnut stand, line a kl long. you can at least see the whole ground and it seems as though you are very close to the play, even in the stands.

Looking forward to the playing surface being 5 metres longer which will I believe in area, makes it almost the same as the MCG. Buddy will have plenty of space to roam.

Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    Looking forward to the playing surface being 5 metres longer which will I believe in area, makes it almost the same as the MCG. Buddy will have plenty of space to roam.
    No it won't not unless they are putting 5m all round. In actual fact MCG is 160m X 141 & SCG is at present 149 X 136 if we add 5m it will be 154 X 136. If it is 5m all round then yes it will be longer and the same width.But if they are just lengthening the ground at the Noble, Bradman, Messenger stands end then they are the dimensions.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    No it won't not unless they are putting 5m all round. In actual fact MCG is 160m X 141 & SCG is at present 149 X 136 if we add 5m it will be 154 X 136. If it is 5m all round then yes it will be longer and the same width.But if they are just lengthening the ground at the Noble, Bradman, Messenger stands end then they are the dimensions.

The SCG is actually 152 now. Has been since 2007.

http://www.austadiums.com/news/news.php?id=338

Does this mean the 50m arc will now really be a 50m arc and the commentators will have to shut up about it?

Or if, like Wolfie, they forget the extra 3m it could become the 53m arc! Oh dear i'm confused.

People can check current stats for SCG here:
    Sydney Cricket Ground (SCG) | Austadiums. The capacity (before development) used to be 47,000 and it will be increased to 48,000. This is an increase of only 1,000, but they spent a lot of money for this. I hope it will be worth it.

Regular in the Side
    Playing a GWS-Sydney game at the Showground at Olympic Park would be a fantastic occasion for NSW AFL. With its 25000 capacity, it would be certainly a full house. There would perhaps be consideration to put temporary seating on the scoreboard end of the ground, increasing the capacity to over 30000.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Does this mean the 50m arc will now really be a 50m arc and the commentators will have to shut up about it?

Or if, like Wolfie, they forget the extra 3m it could become the 53m arc! Oh dear i'm confused.
    Haha they've been 50 metres since 2007, commentators are just idiots. Watch them continue to talk about the tiny SCG even though it will be longer than the Gabba and only 4 metres shy of the MCG.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    Are all these ground sizes you're quoting playing field size? There is little doubt that the boundary line is much closer to the fence at the SCG than at the MCG.

When you're pulling these stats out of your almanac, could they be talking about cricket?
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast