Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans 2013 Draft Strategy

Regular in the Side MightyBloods's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by giant View Post
    Anyone else think that ROK slots into the Jude Bolton role on HFF this year? Bit of back to the future for him, but the midfield is starting to look like a slog to him.
    Agree with this. Not so sure ROK will like less time in the midfield though.

my guess is that would be a 2 year cardio programme and midfield change in ressies for Membrey

Kennedy had many many years of building his tank and midfield skills prior to joining the Swans

my guess is that we may still want to trade for a HBF and/ or midfielder and or back up ruck as we have accumulated some draft picks we may not want to use
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by MightyBloods View Post
    Agree with this. Not so sure ROK will like less time in the midfield though.
    You'd think he'd be sick of the weekly tagging roles and getting battered in the slog every game. It seems so much more dignified to end your career as a goalkicking half forward.

Drummoyne..INNER WEST BABY!! (Bay 29 SCG)
    I like the idea of the Bolton type succession plan for ROK.
    Perhaps next year when Mitchell is then 100% ready to take his job in the midfield.
    Official Driver Of The "Who Gives A @@@@ As The Player Will Get Delisted Anyway" Bandwagon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    You'd think he'd be sick of the weekly tagging roles and getting battered in the slog every game. It seems so much more dignified to end your career as a goalkicking half forward.
    like Kirky ?

On the Rookie List
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post

my guess is that we may still want to trade for a HBF and/ or midfielder and or back up ruck as we have accumulated some draft picks we may not want to use
    Who do you think are the available targets?

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    With a 3 pronged tall attack of Tippett, Reid and Buddy, along with the return of Goodes, and your suggestion that ROK spends more time forward (which I agree with) and Membrey pushing for selection (he's the prototype mid-sized forward - only needs to build the tank), it is far from evident where Rohan will play next year. I think that may solve the HBF problem.

Then you have Lamb, Cunningham, Biggs, Towers, Lloyd and Perris queuing up for a spot that isn't vacant yet (midfield, forward, flank, anywhere). Plus you would figure that there will be at least one additional midfielder drafted this year. Why in the world would we want to trade for another midfielder? Our problem will be holding on to the ones we already have.

so it appears we now have picks as per below after Mummy and White picks are counted for

15, 35, 39, 44, 53 - 71, 89, 107, 125

I dont know who the swans would be targeting to trade a pick for but I cant help but think that if it is a skinny draft and if we loose Goodes, ROK and Shaw after season 2014 that we may still be after a 23 to 24 yr old signing as we are loosing a hell of a lot of experience and hardened snr players in 2013/2014 potentially

- Varcoe keeps coming up in different chats and I wonder if we gave up pick 44 or pick 44 and 71 if we could get him to come on board as our small running back is still critical to fill in years to come and maybe even in 2014 !

* ROK is somewhat covered by PArker and maybe even Birdy ?
    * Bolton by Mitchell
    * Goodes by Buddy
    * Shaw by maybe Rampe ?? or a Varcoe style of player
    * Mummy not covered in my eyes but who know the Tip and Pyke could be lethal !
    * Mattner covered by AJ and or Rampe
    * White doesnt need to be covered because if Sam Reid was fit he would have played all of 2013 but we always have LRT to help in the forward line if too many injuries

PS - Ludwig you could be right ie Rohan has all the potential to be a lethal HBF in attack..........Towers or Cunningham also have potential
    Last edited by Auntie.Gerald; 20th October 2013 at 11:12 PM.

Auntie Gerald, may I suggest that you look at the Swans player list and make a best 22 for next year. Could you kindly post it on here along with all the players you like, but couldn't make the best 22. Then we can chat about the holes in the side that need filling for next year and beyond, post-Goodes, ROK and Shaw.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    Luke Parker is more than capable of playing that role. He does it now as a part timer, when ROK goes it will be a full time gig. With another pre-season or two, Mitchell will also be that type.

Hard big bodied midfielders are the least if our problems IMO.
    There's a difference between inside midfielders and 6'2" monsters.

eg. Sewell and Sam Mitchell vs JPK and ROK

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by GordonS View Post
    i actually a big-bodied midfielder is more likely for him. i was looking at some stuff earlier and saw that he is the exact same height as kennedy. obviously, he's much lighter being a younger bloke, but could definitely bulk up over the years. we've seen in the neafl that he's got some incredible strength and add that to his marking and goal-kicking ability, he could become a great big-bodied mid if he chooses the path/ or the coaches push him down that path.
    I believe he played alot of junior footy in the midfield, but moved forward in the TAC.

- - - Updated - - -

I like Acres and Marsh - continuing the fascination with the brothers. Seems either could be anything, for the big men I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't just pick up a couple of rookies.
    Last edited by Bloody Hell; 21st October 2013 at 04:03 AM.
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Ive popped down my 2014 estimate of our list with question marks against some players that maybe under pressure to remain on the list in 2014 vs some of our draft picks

Goodes, Tippett, McGlynn
    Buddy, Reid, Rok

Hannes
    Pyke
    Kennedy
    Jack
    Macca
    Jetta

Mal, Grundy, Smithy
    Rampe, Ted, AJ

19. Parker
    20. Rohan
    21. Shaw
    22. Mitchell

23. Birdy
    24. Lambie
    25. LRT
    26. Cunningham
    27. BJ
    28. Lloyd
    29. Biggs?
    30. Towers
    31. X
    32. Membrey
    33. Naismith
    34. Lockyear?
    35. Marsh
    36. Dick
    37. Walsh ?
    38. ?

Rookies
    1. Perris
    2. P.Mitchell ?
    3. Daniel Robinson

I doubt Biggs will be under pressure.

He certainly took his opportunity when it arose.

He showed great poise and a willingness to take on his opponent.

Another preseason will improve his strength and endurance.

I liked what I saw of him.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast