Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans 2013 Draft Strategy

Draft Scout
    Quote Originally Posted by ernie koala View Post
    I doubt Biggs will be under pressure.

He certainly took his opportunity when it arose.

He showed great poise and a willingness to take on his opponent.

Another preseason will improve his strength and endurance.

I liked what I saw of him.
    I would agree, and why are we always on Birds back.
    Look at how he polls in B&F, he does more than many here realise as a run with player...

- - - Updated - - -

That said it is tough to pick the top 22 and you need a top 30 that can swap around and cover injury to be a contender
    Staying ahead of the game...

Warming the Bench
    Does anyone know if Biggs, Brandon and Xavier been kept on the senior list. Jack and Richards can go back on the rookie list but Biggs has to be kept on the list or be delisted.

recruit me pretty please! Cosmic Wizard's Avatar
    Tippetts younger brother is available, and we do seem to love recruiting brothers.
    Most of our backline seems to have only two to three years in them so we need some help there!
    doof-doof

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    Ive popped down my 2014 estimate of our list with question marks against some players that maybe under pressure to remain on the list in 2014 vs some of our draft picks

Goodes, Tippett, McGlynn
    Buddy, Reid, Rok

Hannes
    Pyke
    Kennedy
    Jack
    Macca
    Jetta

Mal, Grundy, Smithy
    Rampe, Ted, AJ

19. Parker
    20. Rohan
    21. Shaw
    22. Mitchell

23. Birdy
    24. Lambie
    25. LRT
    26. Cunningham
    27. BJ
    28. Lloyd
    29. Biggs?
    30. Towers
    31. X
    32. Membrey
    33. Naismith
    34. Lockyear?
    35. Marsh
    36. Dick
    37. Walsh ?
    38. ?

Rookies
    1. Perris
    2. P.Mitchell ?
    3. Daniel Robinson
    When I look at this list, it seems very strong to me. The fact that Bird and LRT are outside your best 22 says something about the depth. In fact, I feel reasonably confident that the senior capable list runs 30+ deep next year. There are several down the list that should be pushing for selection next year and few others by 2015.

We also should be adding another 5 or 6 players to the list by the end of draft period, and a couple of those should add some more excitement about the future.

The list is in very good shape. Certainly one that we can go into next year feeling reasonably confident with. From an age profile perspective, only the KPDs look vulnerable a few years our (post Ted), but I would imagine this will be resolved by the end of the draft period next year; we also have Reid as a possible swingman to fill the defensive gap if needed.

Ruck stocks are thin at the moment, but if you play only one genuine ruckman, it has to be that way. You can see why Mummy had to go. If we played 2 genuine ruckmen, then 2 of Parker, Mitchell, Rohan and Shaw would not be in the 21 starters (and Bird is already out of your best 22 list, which will not be the case from a perennial top 10 BnF player).

There's a fine line between depth and lack of opportunity. Playing careers are short.

I'm not worried.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Ive popped down my 2014 estimate of our list with question marks against some players that maybe under pressure to remain on the list in 2014 vs some of our draft picks

Goodes, Tippett, McGlynn
    Buddy, Reid, Rok

Hannes
    Pyke
    Kennedy
    Jack
    Macca
    Jetta

Mal, Grundy, Smithy
    Rampe, Ted, AJ

19. Parker
    20. Rohan
    21. Shaw
    22. Mitchell

23. Birdy
    24. Lambie
    25. LRT
    26. Cunningham
    27. BJ
    28. Lloyd
    29. Biggs?
    30. Towers
    31. X
    32. Membrey
    33. Naismith
    34. Lockyear?
    35. Marsh
    36. Dick
    37. Walsh ?
    38. ?

Rookies
    1. Perris
    2. P.Mitchell ?
    3. Daniel Robinson
    In terms of absolute best, I'd swap LRT for Reg and Lamb for Benny.
    Otherwise, that's a formidable list of talent, to the point where it raises the question of whether the coaches/selectors will be prepared to take advantage of it by resting players from time to time. I imagine the players themselves may not be happy about such an arrangement, but we saw how it benefited Freo this year, and I wonder whether the time has come to do something similar (not on their scale of course) during the H&A season.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

if we went with 38 list players and 3 rookies in 2013 what is your prediction for the total list numbers for the 2014 season ?
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    I think we might have 38 and 4, depending whether we have to include Patrick M in the total.
    Otherwise the club might be happy to go in with one or two under the maximum (which is what, by the way?) as a way of easing payment issues.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

di

based on that who do u see moving on in my list of 41 total ?

also how many picks will we use to draft a player ?

14 and maybe 35 only ?
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

If we didn't have a use for picks 39 and 44, I don't see why we would have agreed to taking them in a trade. We might still package up a couple of picks and players like Everitt and Armstrong up gain a better position in the draft. I don't think the trade period is quite over for us yet.

- - - Updated - - -

If high draft picks were the key to success, then the Melbourne Demons would be premiers

Veteran Site Admin
    if we went with 38 list players and 3 rookies in 2013 what is your prediction for the total list numbers for the 2014 season ?
    Hard to make a 2014 prediction based on a 2013 scenario that didn't exist. We had a senior list of 38 and a rookie list of 7 in 2013.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I think we might have 38 and 4, depending whether we have to include Patrick M in the total.
    Otherwise the club might be happy to go in with one or two under the maximum (which is what, by the way?) as a way of easing payment issues.
    Theoretically we can have as many as 9 rookies if we have a senior list of 38 (7 if we have a senior list of 40). Six regular rookies (4 with a senior list of 40) plus up to 3 category B rookies (NSW zone selections, international rookies).

A smaller rookie list could ease cash payments (in a modest way) but has no impact on salary cap since rookie listed players are completely outside the cap while on the rookie list and partially outside the cap if/when they are promoted.

Quote Originally Posted by Bloody Hell View Post
    With the draft order firming up, can anyone speculate about the possible selections to be taken by the Swans in the draft?

For mine the needs are pretty straight forward, in two categories:

1. Big Bodied Midfielders - With ROK almost retired and Freo and the Swans demonstrating the value of this type of player, I'd be suprised if it wasn't a priority. JPK will be Robinson Crusoe very soon.

2. Ruck or 2nd Forward/Ruck - pretty straight forward, losing Mummy and White leaves a massive hole. Interesting to see how this is addressed. Will someone like Seaby be redrafted, or will they go with development, with picks or rookies, or a combination of everything? Is Naismith ready if required? Were they hiding Dawes? All shall be revealed.

Any thoughts?
    I don't think we need a forward for the next 5 years. As for ruck we have Naismith who is developing nicely and if we can draft a young partner for him it would be good. This could be done this draft or next.

Mids, mids, mids? How many bleeding mids and strong ones do you want? Mitchell, Lukie Parker, Lambie, Towers, Marsh (big and strong another Joey type), Robinson (is also a taller lad). Then add Lloyd, BJ, Hannas, Kizza, Benny, Jetts and even Biggs or Rohan. I think we have a lot of players to play with in the mids. I don't think outside speed is going to be a problem either as Jetts, BJ, Kizza, Gazza, Dick and Towers are all good for speed. Biggs for reliability.

What we do need to worry about is KP defenders and a young developing ruckman to partner Naismith. Tommy Walsh may fill the KP Defender role with Xav Richards but I would still like to develop a couple of young blokes as well.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Wizard View Post
    Tippetts younger brother is available, and we do seem to love recruiting brothers.
    Most of our backline seems to have only two to three years in them so we need some help there!
    He would actually be a very good fit. He could play on the tall KPP. Xav Richards taking the smaller man. But there is one problem, Port are showing interest and we are a few picks behind them in the draft.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-10-14/tippett-hopes-for-third-chance

Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast