Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans 2013 Draft Strategy

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    if we went with 38 list players and 3 rookies in 2013 what is your prediction for the total list numbers for the 2014 season ?
    As of right now, we have lost 6 senior list players and added 3, Franklin to the senior list, Perris and P Mitchell to the rookie list. This reduces the total player list from 45 to 42. If we use our top 3 ND picks and elevate Rampe and another rookie (Biggs for instance) we will be in the same position as last year with 38 seniors and 7 rookies.

My feeling is that there will be some additional changes, most likely involving Everitt and Armstrong, so the mix is likely to change a bit.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckie View Post
    Does anyone know if Biggs, Brandon and Xavier been kept on the senior list. Jack and Richards can go back on the rookie list but Biggs has to be kept on the list or be delisted.
    Biggsie hasn't been mentioned as a delisting or a trade so I presume we are keeping him and elevating him at the ND. I think he, Rampe & BJ have all deserved to be listed.

Regular in the Side
    Its hard to see the draft strategy getting 39 and 44 for Shane and Jesse doesn't seem too smart, Eagles still have 28 & 31 (reading 31 for yeo), GWS have 21 and 22 while Pies end up with the cream of 6 and 10 and who knows what in the Shaw/Adams deal.
    Maybe we can get a reasonable mid (Acres) or a tall defender (Gardner) with 15 and perhaps Kurts brother who profile looks good with one of the 30's before upgrading some from the rookie list. Can we afford to leave BJ and Xav on the list and upgrade Dan (a certainty) Lloyd who maybe has exhausted his time on the rookie list and I am note sure about Robbo.

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot abot Biggs who I also think may have exhausted his time as a rookie.

my guess is that would be a 2 year cardio programme and midfield change in ressies for Membrey

Kennedy had many many years of building his tank and midfield skills prior to joining the Swans

my guess is that we may still want to trade for a HBF and/ or midfielder and or back up ruck as we have accumulated some draft picks we may not want to use
    I think Membrey was drafted to fill the kind of role that ROK did when he first came to the club. I think he is meant to be another VERY dangerous forward option who can take a very good mark. Think about it, no Goodes or ROK but we still have Timbo and he can take a very strong mark and he kicks very accurately generally. Her kicked 3.5 in the Eastern Conference Final and 6.3 in the Second Semi Final. He certainly knows how to score on the big stage and I think we are developing a very powerful forward set up. Think about this line up post ROK & Goodes.

Rohan/Bird Tippett Membrey/Reid

Lambie/Parker Franklin Benny/BJ

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    I think we might have 38 and 4, depending whether we have to include Patrick M in the total.
    Otherwise the club might be happy to go in with one or two under the maximum (which is what, by the way?) as a way of easing payment issues.
    Patrick Mitchell is not counted in the 44 as he is an International Rookie and comes outside this number.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    As of right now, we have lost 6 senior list players and added 3, Franklin to the senior list, Perris and P Mitchell to the rookie list. This reduces the total player list from 45 to 42. If we use our top 3 ND picks and elevate Rampe and another rookie (Biggs for instance) we will be in the same position as last year with 38 seniors and 7 rookies.

My feeling is that there will be some additional changes, most likely involving Everitt and Armstrong, so the mix is likely to change a bit.
    I don't know how you work that out AG? You cannot include Rookie Lists in the same breath as senior lists.

For a start we have lost;

Retired

Bolton

Mattner

Morton

Delisted

Brown

Traded

Mummy

Jesse

Six Senior positions up for grabs:

Done Deal

Buddy

Upgraded

Rampe

Biggs

BJ

Draft two in a shallow draft.

International Rookie

Patrick Mitchell

Last Scholarship Player

Perris

Neither Perris or Mitchell are counted on the list of 44 as BJ wasn't before them. BJ could be retained on the Rookie List, there is that option.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by lwjoyner View Post
    Its hard to see the draft strategy getting 39 and 44 for Shane and Jesse doesn't seem too smart, Eagles still have 28 & 31 (reading 31 for yeo), GWS have 21 and 22 while Pies end up with the cream of 6 and 10 and who knows what in the Shaw/Adams deal.
    Maybe we can get a reasonable mid (Acres) or a tall defender (Gardner) with 15 and perhaps Kurts brother who profile looks good with one of the 30's before upgrading some from the rookie list. Can we afford to leave BJ and Xav on the list and upgrade Dan (a certainty) Lloyd who maybe has exhausted his time on the rookie list and I am note sure about Robbo.

- - - Updated - - -

I forgot abot Biggs who I also think may have exhausted his time as a rookie.
    Lloydie has only been on Rookie List 1 year.

Players in the draft

Was looking at the footage of Zac Bates in the attached link.

He moves excactly the same as Schwatta.

Appears to have a fair bit of pace and class.

Midfielders - AFL.com.au

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    di

based on that who do u see moving on in my list of 41 total ?

also how many picks will we use to draft a player ?

14 and maybe 35 only ?
    AG, I note that Armstrong and Everitt aren't on your list and I have the impression that Tony still has a year on his contract - am I right? And I think Walsh is in the same boat.
    I wonder if they will tell Dre that his time's up - I think he's out of contract, isn't he? Or will they try to keep his development going rather than start from scratch with an unknown quantity as a youngster?
    The whole collection is an embarrassment of riches, and I can't recall a time when we were scratching around to move someone on. I think in other years Alex Brown would've stayed, but when you add a couple of superstars at one end, someone has to fall out at the other. To answer your question I'd be surprised if we didn't pick up at least three newbies.

And thank you for your friendly opening AG, but have a close look under my cybername on my posts!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

I thought I read in the NEW rookie rules that International and Scholarship players are now considered one of the 3 (Maximum) "B" rookies....along with zone players - that being the case we have do something with one of Robinson or Naismith.....I know that Internationals USED to be extra (I'm thinking back to MP first arriving)

i like the look of darcy gardiner. could help fill the role of a key defender and may be valuable with richards and lrt getting a little old

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    I thought I read in the NEW rookie rules that International and Scholarship players are now considered one of the 3 (Maximum) "B" rookies....along with zone players
    That's my read on the rules.

correctly me if I'm wrong, but i believe that we have to pick up at least 3 players in the national draft, not including rookie upgrades.

Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    I thought I read in the NEW rookie rules that International and Scholarship players are now considered one of the 3 (Maximum) "B" rookies....along with zone players - that being the case we have do something with one of Robinson or Naismith.....I know that Internationals USED to be extra (I'm thinking back to MP first arriving)
    I think you are right re rookie numbers. I was trying to understand the rookie rules earlier today and found the words below on the AFL site.

"starting from 2013 the maximum (number of rookies) will be reduced to six. These six rookies are now classified as Category A rookies.

In addition to these six rookie-listed players, each club can include up to three additional players (now referred to as Category B rookies) on its Rookie List provided the player either:

? has not registered in an Australian Football competition for three years immediately before inclusion on the Rookie List;
    ? is an international player, meaning he is not an Australian citizen and has not lived in Australia for a substantial period;
    ? is a former NSW Scholarship player with that club;
    ? is a former International Scholarship player with that club;
    ? is a rookie Zone Selection for clubs based in NSW or Queensland."

Rory Lobb please if he is still available for our second round pick and a young defender at 15 if there is a good one available.

Reckon our midfield is well stocked at the moment

Page 4 of 46 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast