Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: Swans 2013 Draft Strategy

I would think that either Blake Acres or Jonathon Marsh would be available at pick 15. I like them both, but would lean toward Acres because of his versatility, although Marsh can play the third tall forward allowing Reid to play in defence.

I wouldn't spend pick 15 on a key defender. It's too hard to tell how they'll turn out. I actually think Gardiner looks a bit clunky and prefer either McStay or Cameron Giles, who should be available later in the draft.

At 25, Joel Tippett is unlitkely to go before pick 40, and is more likely not to be drafted. But could be a possibility for the rookie draft. Tippett is ready to go now, but we still have a couple of years to go before we need a key defender in earnest.

Despite this being called a below average draft, there seems to be a number of interesting prospects that should be available with our 3 picks 35, 39 and 44:

Jake Kolodjashnij: Brother of fraternal twin and top 10 prospect Kade. Is tall enough to be a key defender. Has many of the same qualities of his brother, but a bit bigger and slighly less agile because of it, but still very athletic.

Darcy Hourigan: Can play a key forward or defender, but probably not your no. 1. Is a tough, smart footballer who can take a strong mark and kick well. Has a bit of Tim Membrey about him but a few cmtrs. taller.

Tom Cutler: A tall midfielder that will probably be suited for a rebounding defender. Good agility and skills.

Jarrad Jansen: A big bodied midfielder that can play anywhere on the ground. Quick and skillfull. A bit like Acres, but not expected to go before pick 30.

Eli Templeton: Versatile and skillful Tasmanian Midfielders with Dyson Heppell Hairdo.

Ben Sokol: Fwd/Mid with elite endurance. Luke Parker body type and attitude.

Tom Langdon Def/Mid: 19 yo who missed being drafted last year. A solid player with a good all around game. Someone who can play a Mattner type role in defence or go forward and kick goals.

Max King: 2 mtr tall ruck forward from NSW. Might be zoned for GWS, but if so, will probably pass. Amazingly not at all unco for his size, in fact a very agile player. Looks a good prospect and worth a rookie pick at least.

Ben Brown: Athletic 21 yo ruck forward that might be a good option for a backup ruckman next year with some real long term potential. Looks ahead of Naismith at this point. Worth a look at pick 44.

Well, there's 13 names that we should have a reasonable shot at with our picks. I focused mostly on defenders and utilities and avoided mid sized to small midfielders and forwards, as we already have a few of those in development.

I think this draft flattens out a lot after the first round, so a pick in the 20s may not be worth much more than one in the 30s. There still will be some reasonable picks into the 40s.

Noone has an opinion on possible draftees>?
    The eternal connundrum "what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object" was finally solved when David Hasselhoff punched himself in the face.

Regular in the Side
    KPP defenders is what we need...I have a feeling that REG may struggle this year, I don't think he had an outstanding year in 2013 and a few times we had to make changes as he was being beaten...

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    I have a slightly different take on this.

We could definitely use another key defender being taken in the draft and given time to develop.

But I think what we really need are elite kicks who will play the role of setting up play and distributing the ball. McVeigh is 28, Malceski 30. I actually think the one downside to losing Lamb is he was one of the more elite kicks and Everitt was actually a lovely kick. Jetta is too but plays a specific role, so too is Rohan.

Our other mids are sounds kicks, but not elite. Rampe has potential but beyond that, we want to find a couple of plays who can eventually be the ones who you use to break up play with their smarts and foot skills, particularly from the back half and the centre.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

"Despite Jed Lamb requesting a trade to GWS, a suitable trade couldn?t be achieved during the Trade Period. With Lamb out of contract, he can explore other options via the National or Pre-Season Draft."

Swans Trade Period wrap - sydneyswans.com.au

At next month?s AFL Draft, the Swans will hold selections 15, 32, 35, 44, and 53.

The Club will also upgrade first-year rookie-listed players Dane Rampe and Brandon Jack onto the primary list.

interesting !!!!!

- - - Updated - - -

armstrong ??

- - - Updated - - -

armstrong ??
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Senior Player
    All I can say is hank goodness trade week is over and we still have Reid, Kennedy and Smith after all the rumours

So rookie list wise we are allowed 6 CAT A rookies, which will be Perris, Richards,Biggs at least. 3 CAT B one of which will include Patrick Mitchell. Do rules allow us to keep all of Lloyd,Robinson and Naismith

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Perris should be Category B along with Mitchell, but of course that category is quite full with Robinson and Naismith. I'm not sure what the specifics involved in placing any of those 4 into category A are.

I can't see us getting rid of any of the rookies of our list unless there is a rule that makes us

So my interpretation of the whole Jed Lamb situation is this.
    Lamb has more than likely been approached by GWS earlier in the year with an offer he can't refuse. We have an offer on the table for Lamb, not knowing he has been targeted by GWS. Lamb doesn't put pen to paper for our contract offer and Swans getting annoyed with him & probably suspect he has been 'got at'!

Depleted by injury for the finals with similar role players struggling & playing at 70-80% capacity, Lamb is over looked for the finals. A sure sign he won't be part of our plans going forward. GWS probably only offering pick 60+ for Lamb.
    Everitt gets traded to Carlton but Lamb now has to get to GWS via the PSD, forcing them to use up their first pick that may have been set aside for another player.
    Conclusion?

Swans not happy with Jed from way back!
    Up yours GWS!

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Tunnel View Post
    Swans not happy with Jed from way back!Up yours GWS!
    Spot on. I think young Jed may have got ahead of himself. There's more to this story IMO.

Regular in the Side MightyBloods's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    Spot on. I think young Jed may have got ahead of himself. There's more to this story IMO.
    If the rumour is true $1mill over 3 years from GWS...can you blame him?
    I wonder now with salary cap space we up our offer to him.

Page 5 of 46 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast