Page 45 of 46 FirstFirst ... 35414243444546 LastLast

Thread: Swans 2013 Draft Strategy

Regular in the Side
    my comments were made with the fact that we had so many top ups for the last couple of years and the fact that we can I think play all swans is available (which will not happen) (NO LIMIT) why cant we do what the VFL do and have a couple of permanent top ups be that people missing out on the draft or NSW players.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lwjoyner View Post
    my comments were made with the fact that we had so many top ups for the last couple of years and the fact that we can I think play all swans is available (which will not happen) (NO LIMIT) why cant we do what the VFL do and have a couple of permanent top ups be that people missing out on the draft or NSW players.
    We have been playing semi-permanent topups for the last 3 years with the majority of them made up from the Swans Academy. For example, Jordan Weir played 19 of the 21 reserves games last year and Lloyd Perris who we just picked up as a rookie played 10 games and would have been more if he didn't have those annoying NSW/ACT U18 duties to attend to.

Even if we wanted to select the best talent who missed out on the draft as topups, there would be travel costs involved since most, if not all, of them wouldn't reside in Sydney.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    We have been playing semi-permanent topups for the last 3 years with the majority of them made up from the Swans Academy. For example, Jordan Weir played 19 of the 21 reserves games last
    Ugg, speaking of Jordan Weir, as a tall defender do you think he has much of a future with the swans. He didn't look out of place against Brisbane in the final. Plug looked promising too.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar

2013 A draft retrospective

When you take a look at the results from the 2013 draft, The Swans mande 4 draft picks and all of them made it in the AFL. It makes the recruitment team look very good, although raises questions about player retention.
    #15 Zak Jones St Kilda
    #32 George Hewett Carlton (traded for Everett jnr and pick #39)
    #35 Toby Nankervis Richmond (traded for The Mummy)
    #44 Aliir Aliir Port Adelaide (traded for Jessie White)

Could we have chosen better?
    Taking Zach Merrett rather than Zak Jones? Would the former have provided more? Or stayed longer?

At #47 Ben Brown was an absolute bargain, but having just purchased Tippett and Buddy he wasn't for us. If we'd taken Tom Barrass at #35 rather than #43 we propbably wouldn't have been rumoured to be fishing for him in the 2020 and 21 trade seasons. So that's a maybe. As for reading out James Sicily or Fantasia, or even Charlie Cameron at #53 rather than PASS - they could all have been serious bargains.

The free agency period saw the arrival of Lance Franklin, and the first of the Franklin/Tippett departures. Shane Mumford turned out to be a good trade for the Giants, playing another 114 games.

As for the Rookie draft, our picks did nothing (for various reasons) but then neither did anyone elses.

So in hindsight, we picked no duds, but overlooked a few players that would probably have done better than those selected. So I'd give it a B. What do you think?

Speaking of hypotheticals, the salary cap squeeze that resulted from the recruitment of Kurt and Buddy was always going to lead to player retention issues, and it did. Fortunately for us, the Academy started to kick into gear and allowed the Swans to stave off a calamity. Good luck or good planning, you tell me.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    When you take a look at the results from the 2013 draft, The Swans mande 4 draft picks and all of them made it in the AFL. It makes the recruitment team look very good, although raises questions about player retention.
    #15Zak JonesSt Kilda
    #32George HewettCarlton (traded for Everett jnr and pick #39)
    #35Toby NankervisRichmond(traded for The Mummy)
    #44Aliir AliirPort Adelaide (traded for Jessie White)

Taking Zach Merrett rather than Zak Jones? Would the former have provided more? Or stayed longer?

At #47 Ben Brown was an absolute bargain, but having just purchased Tippett and Buddy he wasn't for us. If we'd taken Tom Barrass at #35 rather than #43 we propbably wouldn't have been rumoured to be fishing for him in the 2020 and 21 trade seasons. So that's a maybe. As for reading out James Sicily or Fantasia, or even Charlie Cameron at #53 rather than PASS - they could all have been serious bargains.

The free agency period saw the arrival of Lance Franklin, and the first of the Franklin/Tippett departures. Shane Mumford turned out to be a good trade for the Giants, playing another 114 games.

As for the Rookie draft, our picks did nothing (for various reasons) but then neither did anyone elses.

So in hindsight, we picked no duds, but overlooked a few players that would probably have done better than those selected. So I'd give it a B. What do you think?

Speaking of hypotheticals, the salary cap squeeze that resulted from the recruitment of Kurt and Buddy was always going to lead to player retention issues, and it did. Fortunately for us, the Academy started to kick into gear and allowed the Swans to stave off a calamity. Good luck or good planning, you tell me.
    You say take Merritt instead of Jones. But wouldn't Merritt have had a go home factor too? Drafts are always risky. Hewett did not leave us we left him. He wanted to stay but the club put him up for trade last trade period and did so again this year.

For a few years we have been moving players on that do not fit into the direction the club is going. As much as the Hewett trade pains me, because I love him as a player, the footy department is moving in a different direction. Jones was traded due to behavioral problems on field. Hannas' body was stuffed. Aliir, the club wanted to keep but did not have the cap.

The new direction has caused the club to move on some good players. Go home factor only entered the equation once, Dawson. Rohan was moved on too. Never productive enough. Hayward, after a few lessons, has turned into twice the player. Look at the successes. There are plenty. There will be plenty more.

Sent from my JAT-L29 using Tapatalk

Veterans List
    #15 Zak Jones St Kilda

I'd give those picks an A.....but subsequent player retention a C.....but of course, the A(V)FL didn't help with that.

I'd rate 4/4 picks still playing (and best 22 in each case) as an A for sure. Just because we didn't pick those that in hindsight might have deserved to be picked higher (Merrett, Barrass, Sicily etc.) doesn't change that. Nor does the retention issue - as stevo says. Also, as wolfy points out, not all of those players "left" us. Really, the only one who we couldn't retain was Jones. The rest it suited us to lose for whatever reasons. n outstanding performance by the draft team in my book, especially given the picks they were working with - pick 15 and then everything else outside the top 30.
    All opinions are not equal. Some are a very great deal more robust, sophisticated, and well supported in logic and argument than others. -Douglas Adams, author (11 Mar 1952-2001)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodspirit View Post
    I'd rate 4/4 picks still playing (and best 22 in each case) as an A for sure. Just because we didn't pick those that in hindsight might have deserved to be picked higher (Merrett, Barrass, Sicily etc.) doesn't change that. Nor does the retention issue - as stevo says. Also, as wolfy points out, not all of those players "left" us. Really, the only one who we couldn't retain was Jones. The rest it suited us to lose for whatever reasons. n outstanding performance by the draft team in my book, especially given the picks they were working with - pick 15 and then everything else outside the top 30.
    My point the other day , you cant rate a draft until well down the track. To say last years was the best ever is just total rubbish, you could argue that this is a pretty good lot but it has taken some time to get there.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Magoo View Post
    My point the other day , you cant rate a draft until well down the track. To say last years was the best ever is just total rubbish, you could argue that this is a pretty good lot but it has taken some time to get there.
    I wouldn't say it's total rubbish, but rather needs some rewording, for instance:

Last year's draft is projecting to possibly be our best ever. We will have to wait a few years to see if it proves to be the case.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I wouldn't say it's total rubbish, but rather needs some rewording, for instance:

Last year's draft is projecting to possibly be our best ever. We will have to wait a few years to see if it proves to be the case.

It will be , 3 stars you watch , maybe 4 with Sheather . But can hardly claim it , 3 academy kids . Probably doesnt count

2015 great - Mills and Paps , both stars and leaders . 2018 too if Blakey pulls his finger out like he did this yr

#15 Zak Jones St Kilda

Viewing everything with hindsight about who we could have or should have drafted with the evidence of 8 years subsequent data is a rather useless exercise.

All I’ll say is the recruitment that year was very good in that all 4 will play well over 100 senior games.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WomblingFree View Post
    Viewing everything with hindsight about who we could have or should have drafted with the evidence of 8 years subsequent data is a rather useless exercise.
    Useless?
    At the very least, it provided you with an opportunity to make your negative and strangley quixotic contribution. If the revival is a useless exercise then so too is responding to it.
    Actually, if you realy wanted to take a jaundiced view - then contributing to an online forum which has zero effect on the club could be construed as useless, yet you've managed that 62 times already.

Anyway
    At this time of year there is pretty much a complete absence of any other Swans news whatsoever, not even any dull puff pieces.
    So in the absence of anything else, I thought reviving these old threads to do a retrospective might prove a pleasant diversion.
    The revival of the 2012 retrospective received 0 responses, I tried to make the 2013 retrospective more interesting. The responses while different, suggest Womblingfree was right, it may have been a useless exercise. TTFN.
    Last edited by Ruck'n'Roll; 11th December 2021 at 05:02 PM.
    Loose translation from the Latin is - I am tall, so I hit out.