Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Lamb has gone to GWS

Pushing for Selection
    "The Giants three year offer almost trebled what the Swans put on the table for the 20 year old who played 12 matches this season in his debut year."

No Wonder Lamb is on his way.

No Cookies | thetelegraph.com.au

What a good time to be a depth player! GWS are so friggen desperate for ready made players they are just throwing money at anyone who is decent enough. I mean Heath Shaw for 700k a year..and Jed Lamb..

GWS=Bad News Bears all over again.

Lamb, Mumford ++ = Buddy payback from GWS. Actually disagree with a few posts on here and think Lamb is first 22 material and is quite a loss as has been developed v well within Swans system. It will hurt losing him.

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    I can see the resemblance between Lamb and Franklin as players and I'm sure Mathews is a genius with this deal.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Jupiter View Post
    Lamb, Mumford ++ = Buddy payback from GWS. Actually disagree with a few posts on here and think Lamb is first 22 material and is quite a loss as has been developed v well within Swans system. It will hurt losing him.
    Agree that Lamb is developing well, but I don't think it will hurt losing him. We still have Cunningham, Lloyd, Perris and BJ all queuing for midfield roles when we only have ROK set to retire within the next 5 years. All are more pacey than Lamb, which puts them slightly ahead in the queue.

I have noticed there seems to be this cult thing happening with swan fans with depth players..miust be all the ressie watchers.

The amount of time i have read x player is liek so and so and will dominate for them to get a gig in the firsts and then do nothing..

Anyone remeber Ed BAarlow?

Quote Originally Posted by spiffy-dude View Post
    I have noticed there seems to be this cult thing happening with swan fans with depth players..miust be all the ressie watchers.

The amount of time i have read x player is liek so and so and will dominate for them to get a gig in the firsts and then do nothing..

Anyone remeber Ed BAarlow?

To be fair i dont think too many people sang Cheese's praises while he was here, i think the new found belief in our depth players is partly more people get to see the ressies play now and also the fact we have been so good at recruiting that we do genuinely have some really good players in our reserves. Aftyer the season we have just had depth players are more important than ever and the fact that we are slowly seeing a shift to the american man managemnt where nearly your whole roster has a part to play during season to keep players fit for the finals.

We will see eventually where everyone who plays say 3 senior games or more for a year will get a premiership medal. Until recently we have had the best depth of any team in the comp and still rank right up there, but losing the likes of Morton,Lamb and maybe Everitt will put a dent in that depth. Hopefully guys like LRT and AJ can be as effective as 2 years ago and we should be right up there for team rotations/resting which i believe will be a vital part in how a team goes more and more in the years to come.

For what its worth i think Lamb is easily in GWS starting 22 and will play every game if not injured, very sad to see him go, was very unlucky to be looked over in finals this year, could have played instead of Mcglynn or Bolton, maybe it was the snub in finals especially with Biggs and Cunningham going past him that was the final straw for Jed? Harry and Ronnie are both good prospects but from what i saw of Lamb this year its staggering they were picked before him especially in finals.

sad to see him go, but if u were a kid who'd only played a handful of games without being outstanding and some club came and offered u a little under a million over three seasons, wouldnt u take it?? of course u would!! gws are overpaying a lot of blokes who arent superstars and are gonna be bit in the ass when it comes time for their concessions to be reduced. how are they gonna cope when blokes like cameron, boyd and patton (assuming all fit and firing) can all demand a million bucks a season (which they definitely will) and then all the high draft picks want more cash as well? gonna be a crazy time for em

Quote Originally Posted by GordonS View Post
    sad to see him go, but if u were a kid who'd only played a handful of games without being outstanding and some club came and offered u a little under a million over three seasons, wouldnt u take it?? of course u would!! gws are overpaying a lot of blokes who arent superstars and are gonna be bit in the ass when it comes time for their concessions to be reduced. how are they gonna cope when blokes like cameron, boyd and patton (assuming all fit and firing) can all demand a million bucks a season (which they definitely will) and then all the high draft picks want more cash as well? gonna be a crazy time for em
    It all ultimately sorts itself out is the theory with the draft & cap, including with those clubs that have playing list & cap concessions that are slowly tapered off. If a club has got too many players who are too good (and so can demand on the footy market more $ than their club can fit in its cap), then that 'excess talent' flows over to other clubs. If a club has too few players who are good and too many who aren't good enough, they finish at or near the bottom and get to keep topping up new good ones with early draft picks (not to mention cap space to try to poach good players, created by the fact that not-good-enough players command a lower salary), until that changes.

Of course, life doesn't run as smoothly as theories would have it. Not all clubs make decisions that in retrospect maximise the bang in their playing 22 that they get for their salary cap buck (whether because of injury, form, or simply bad luck)? see Brendan Fevola at Brisbane, or Lance Franklin at Sydney (or, more relevantly, not at Sydney) in the year 2021. But I don't think that GWS are too concerned right now with, 'How will we pay all of these megastar top draft picks in 2018?'. If they all do turn out to be megastars and so one or two have to flee elsewhere to get market value, that will mean that GWS are well and truly entrenched as a top-flight club and all will be happy. Right now, they're trying to eke out some wins and be competitive in 2014, and they've made a judgment that Jed Lamb is good enough right now to help them do that. In their circumstances, they have to pay over-market to get best-22 players to their club. By end 2016, Jed Lamb, presuming he's still in the system, will get market value, whatever that is for his performances in the meantime? whether at GWS (if they both want him and have the cap for him) or elsewhere (if either of those conditions aren't met). Chances are we'll find out in 2014 whether Jed Lamb really is best-22 material who can help GWS win games right away. But that's the punt they've taken.

Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011