Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Lamb has gone to GWS

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    Just a little disappointed with this, although not too surprised. Micky O and the club had big wraps on him.
    Given that we will be getting some players back (hopefully) next season, he'll probably struggle to get a game.

This way he is probably guaranteed to close to a full season on the park.
    Good luck to him.
    The way GWS pick their teams, I don't see how he can feel comfortable that he will get a full season of games. Maybe with Sheeds gone, they will retire the dart-board from the selection committee room, but this year they seemed to change half a dozen players each game.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic Wizard View Post
    Have we ever lost this many players to other clubs??

Will other players want to come to our club if they know that there is no money??

This deal get worse and worse; we won a flag without Tippett and Buddy but we wont win one without some depth to cover injury just like this year!
    Seriously Cosmic.... your judging the value of the Buddy deal before he has even kicked a single ball in anger for the club. Seeing he has a 9 year contract, the deal surely should not be judged until at least 3 years in (unless something untoward happens and Buddy has to retire, or something catastrophic like that). Lets see what happens when he gets on the park before slating it as an absolute write off.

I know we have always had a 'team first', 'champion team' rather than 'team of champions' focus, but in the end the end game is to win the Premiership. To me, getting Tippett and Buddy give us the best chance to do this over the next few years.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Totally agree really starting to worry followed South/Sydney for 30 something years , dont want to go back the days of being CELLAR DWELLERS ,you really wonder about Lamb, why he left like that .And the lose of players is starting to be a concern ,their must really be outstanding Ruck stocks /Midfielders in this years draft. i know buddy was a coup but wasa he worth it?????????????????

People were talking about Mumford and White leaving long before Franklin entered the picture. We've lost a handful of players which doesn't seem unusual to me. I liked Pyke and Mumford as a unit and Jesse was starting to deliver in a role that suited him. It is a bit unfortunate but was predicted long ago.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by mcs View Post
    Seriously Cosmic.... your judging the value of the Buddy deal before he has even kicked a single ball in anger for the club. Seeing he has a 9 year contract, the deal surely should not be judged until at least 3 years in (unless something untoward happens and Buddy has to retire, or something catastrophic like that). Lets see what happens when he gets on the park before slating it as an absolute write off.
    I will be judging the worth of Buddy's impact over the full 9 year contract.....

Gee there are quite a few on here trying to roast Lamb.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by tasmania60 View Post
    Totally agree really starting to worry followed South/Sydney for 30 something years , dont want to go back the days of being CELLAR DWELLERS ,you really wonder about Lamb, why he left like that .And the lose of players is starting to be a concern ,their must really be outstanding Ruck stocks /Midfielders in this years draft. i know buddy was a coup but wasa he worth it?????????????????
    Relax.....

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    I think it's a crumby decision...
    He wouldn't have been worth a mint but it's still a gambol.

Quote Originally Posted by bodgie View Post
    People were talking about Mumford and White leaving long before Franklin entered the picture. We've lost a handful of players which doesn't seem unusual to me. I liked Pyke and Mumford as a unit and Jesse was starting to deliver in a role that suited him. It is a bit unfortunate but was predicted long ago.
    I agree we are usually pretty active these days in turning over the list. We like to filter through players and only keep the ones we really like or need for structure. I seem to recall 10 years ago we'd hang on to players hoping they'd get better but that doesn't seem to be the case any more. I'm sure we'll delist a few more so I expect 25% of the list will change. I think this would have happened regardless of Buddy.

It's more a matter of who has the upside a Jake Lloyd type rookie or Lamb? Lamb has been a slow developer, nicely skilled, lacks paces, and seems to lack the engine for the mid-field. Ultimately, Lamb is a known quantity and the powers at be think to win a flag we need better so we roll the dice.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    No reason we shouldn't be able to replace Mummy. White has disappointed for a long time and whilst I am glad he got a chance he is not a bloke who I reckon can win us flags. Everitt a solid senior player at best, well suited to a bottom six club like GWS. Lamb being paid overs and not a key loss.

Buddy Franklin - an elite level player that will put bums on seats and give us the unpredictability we need to win a flag. A genuine superstar of the game, probably its BIGGEST name.

I trust our board. I believe our culture and our development process and list management can mitigate a number of the risks. There will be downside to this deal but its a measured risk assessment to what the upside is....

Rather than death-riding it why not go along for the ride? The Buddy deal has the potential to catapult the Swans into the big league commercially in Australia and win us a flag or two in the process. I reckon it is a risk worth taking.
    This X 100

sad to see him go, but he had been injured, and others for whatever reasons had passed him to an extent off a shorter runup.

If Mumford breaks down (i hope not) and Jesse is hung out to dry on some mediocre performances by the brutal melbourne media. Getting Buddy will a master stroke....

Then again he could break down... It's footy. lots of if's but's and maybes. I just have faith the club have prepared us best right now for repeated tilts at the flag based on our premiership window being wide open.

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    To be honest, I never saw him put in a solid forequarter effort.

Now he's leaving I best get them out of my system.
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Gee there are quite a few on here trying to roast Lamb.
    Shish Kebab !!!
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast