View Poll Results: What should the Swans do?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Begrudgingly accept pick 48

20 35.71%
  • Decline the offer and let Lamb enter the draft

30 53.57%
  • I have no idea

6 10.71%
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Jed Lamb trade - Poll

Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    Not much point in being a dog in the manger..if he goes in PSD we get zilch. 48 is a lot better than that..
    He's an ex first round pick with 3 years of developmental time and money put into him who has probably cracked the sads because he thought he should've been playing in finals.
    He's worth way more than a pick we might not use anyway. I say PSD for him and if GWS really want him they can use their first pick. If they don't he can stay with us and continue his development or take his chances with another club who might not offer him ridiculous money.
    Its time for us to toughen up again. Send a message to the raiders who will be looking at our developing players as easy targets in the future.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by GongSwan View Post
    We might well use the pick. We have now lost 5 listed players and brought in Buddy and Perris on the rookie list. We probably need4 or 5 picks in hte draft
    Quote Originally Posted by royboy42 View Post
    Graciously take 48.
    Depends if we're going to use it or not. That will partly depend on Everitt and/or Armstrong and where they land up.

Based on known departures (3 retirees and Brown plus White, Lamb and Mumford) less the acquisition of Franklin, that leaves 6 spots to fill. Rampe will take one spot and I will be very surprised if at least one other rookie isn't promoted to the senior list, be it Biggs or BJ. Maybe both will. So that only leaves 3-4 spots on the list to fill and I don't think we need 48 for those. (Obviously we need draft picks to elevate rookies but they are nominal. We can use pick 148 just as well as pick 48.)

If we are losing one or both of Armstrong or Everitt too, we would have a live use for pick 48. I would still be inclined to just let Lamb go via the PSD. We might be doing some other club a favour - preventing them getting fleeced too...

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I would still be inclined to just let Lamb go via the PSD. We might be doing some other club a favour - preventing them getting fleeced too...
    By not trading unless it suits us and pushing him into the PSD there is also the chance he may re sign with us if GWS lose interest.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by aardvark View Post
    By not trading unless it suits us and pushing him into the PSD there is also the chance he may re sign with us if GWS lose interest.
    Unlikely if the reported contract differences are close to correct. Lamb's done the right thing by himself. He is far from guaranteed a long term AFL career but another club has offered him three years at pretty substantial money. He would be made not to take it. Even if we don't trade him to GWS, he'll almost certainly land up there. Just make the Giants commit their first round PSD pick on Lamb, or come up with a trade that approaches what they believe his intrinsic value to be.

It costs the Swans very little by passing on pick 48, even if they are still "live" picking in the draft at that point. Chances are that by that point, clubs will have pretty divergent views, and many clubs seem to be looking to take minimal picks and will have already exited the draft by that point.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Just make the Giants commit their first round PSD pick on Lamb, or come up with a trade that approaches what they believe his intrinsic value to be.
    I'll be very disappointed if this doesn't happen. I'd accept a pick in the 20s.

By the way, I have absolutely no issues with Lamb moving to a club for bigger money.
    If I knew him, I'd wish him well.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Just wild about Harry
    Recruiters are saying this year's draft dries up after the first 20 picks. In that case, pick 48 may as well be pick 88. I say all the best to Jed and wish him well and a long career, but it would be nice to get something for all of the effort/money we put into him. If we cant get a decent pick then let him go into the PSD.
    By the way, I think that this year we are having a bit of a fire sale and other clubs are circling like vultures, but it wont be happening next year. GWS might be getting a couple of small wins over us, but we got Buddy.

48 is better than naught!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod_ View Post
    48 is better than naught!
    Its the same as naught if we don't use it!

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    It's a bit of an empty threat anyway as I don't think there would be many clubs willing to pick up that kind of contract Jed has been offered. Melbourne would love him I'm sure but I don't know about their salary cap situation.

On the Rookie List
    Perhaps we could offer; Dre & Armstrong with Lamb and ask for 21 or 22?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan View Post
    Perhaps we could offer; Dre & Armstrong with Lamb and ask for 21 or 22?
    Doesn't sound like they've anything left in their salary cap to pay for more players.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast