View Poll Results: What should the Swans do?

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • Begrudgingly accept pick 48

20 35.71%
  • Decline the offer and let Lamb enter the draft

30 53.57%
  • I have no idea

6 10.71%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Jed Lamb trade - Poll

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I would be in favour of scrapping the PSD and Rookie drafts for a single ND.
    Scrapping the PSD actually can't happen. It is there to protect the whole system against restraint of trade suits by guaranteeing an out of contact player can ultimately set their own terms of employment.

This is pretty much the same reason free agency exists now... The AFLPA must be satisfied enough with the treatment of players to continue supporting the draft and cap.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by R-1 View Post
    Scrapping the PSD actually can't happen. It is there to protect the whole system against restraint of trade suits by guaranteeing an out of contact player can ultimately set their own terms of employment.

But they can do that in the ND too.

Maybe the reason that other codes have all gone to total free agency is because of the even increasing complexity, abuses and modifications to avert abuse of the kind of hybrid system we have in the AFL.

It's looking ever more likely that free agency compensation picks will be scrapped. Something needs to be done to rationalise the uncontracted player situation, because it must be driving clubs crazy. One solution is to sign players to 9 year contracts. It will end up with the club that has the best 'Moneyball' wizz kid running the show that will be premiers.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Or just abolish the PSD altogether. Delisted players can now join the club of their choice as free agents so don't need the mechanism of the PSD. Players who have served a certain period of time can now join the club of their choice as free agents. Players can now nominate terms in the ND. Why not just have the ND as the sole drafting process and let everyone else go via the ND?
    Fair point - by the time we are past draft week all free agents have found new homes and the Draft Order has been adjusted, though I think Compensation Picks will go soon. Throw all the available talent, young and old, into the pot and draft accordingly. Can't see the need to distinguish between the ND and PSD contenders tbh. Then of course the Rookie Draft can be held last of all I think it serves a very useful purpose in providing a path for late bloomers and project players.

I'd also have the Free Agency Period (i.e. when free agent players find a new home) and the Trade Period (player and draft pick trading) as two separate periods of one week each.

GWS have also basically committed to picking J. Hunt in the PSD so they'd have to choose between Hunt and Lamb for their first pick.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gezball View Post
    GWS have also basically committed to picking J. Hunt in the PSD so they'd have to choose between Hunt and Lamb for their first pick.
    They're signing Hunt as a delisted FA

Senior Player
    But they can do that in the ND too.
    I don't think they can set their own contact terms in the ND.

Quote Originally Posted by R-1 View Post
    I don't think they can set their own contact terms in the ND.
    Think that may be the key difference between the two drafts (PSD and ND). Think all ND picks go in at agreed salaries as per the ALFPA agreement, obviously top picks usually get their salaries upgraded pretty quickly in exchange for a longer contract term. PSD players usually have AFL experience and are able to command a greater salary.

Think the best way to untwine the two would be for the PSD to be scrambled amongst the top 9 and bottom 9 after the ND to avoid the PSD being used as a bargaining chip.

Veteran Site Admin
    Players who have previously been on an AFL list are allowed to name their terms in the ND. They have been for a few years now. Luke Ball was taken at pick 30 by the Pies when they couldn't reach a trade agreement with St Kilda. He didn't join the Pies on a basic first year salary.

Players who have previously been on an AFL list are allowed to name their terms in the ND. They have been for a few years now. Luke Ball was taken at pick 30 by the Pies when they couldn't reach a trade agreement with St Kilda. He didn't join the Pies on a basic first year salary.
    Yes, they can name their terms, but I remember the Pies sweating it out till pick 30 because anyone could have taken him.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I think out best hope is for Everitt to declare for GWS and then we can package the two of them for pick 29

Edit: I see pick48 went to Brisbane in the Polec trade

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    I think out best hope is for Everitt to declare for GWS and then we can package the two of them for pick 29

Edit: I see pick48 went to Brisbane in the Polec trade
    Yeh, if we want to whinge about our draft picks then have a look at what's happening to poor old Brissie.

That will be us in a few years' time without COLA.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast