Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone worried about our ruck problems? Not now we have Derickx

Goes up to 11
    Mike Pyke played for Canada and had made a career playing rugby.

Patrick Mitchell put up some solid but certainly not spectacular numbers for a relatively minor college team. North Dakota plays in a lesser conference that is nowhere near the standard of the bigger college conferences. Whilst I'll certainly be cheering him on and I'd love to see him forge a career, I'm not getting too excited yet, and I'm certainly not expecting anything more than Ressies experience for him next year.

Tend to agree with you Jono. Mike Pyke is a pretty rare example, wouldn't be counting any chickens in regards to Mitchell just yet.

Patrick Mitchell was playing a massive sport in Basketball. Mike Pyke was playing a very minor sport in Rugby. So not sure it is a great comparison

Playing at the highest level in a smaller sport = college level at a more popular one?

On the Rookie List BillyRayCypress's Avatar
    Israel Folau represented Australia in rugby league.

So the background of both is of little relevance to playing Aussie Rules.
    Nothing like a good light bulb moment.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Reggi View Post
    Patrick Mitchell was playing a massive sport in Basketball. Mike Pyke was playing a very minor sport in Rugby. So not sure it is a great comparison
    Rugby is probably not as big as basketball but it is played across the world and I wouldn't call it a very minor sport.

In terms of college hoops - the major teams in the major conferences would be very similar to professional environments. However North Dakota is very much a small fish (currently ranked somewhere between 90-100) in a minor conference. Let's not get ahead of ourselves and let Mitchell learn our game - it will take him time.

In the meantime we still have a real need for at least one more ruckman that can perform in the Ressies and that will be able to step up if and when needed.

On the Rookie List
    McGlynn = new ruckman? We can confuse the opposition and derail their strategic planning.
    "Take me down to the Paradise City where the grass is green and the Swans win pretty."

Quote Originally Posted by jono2707 View Post
    Rugby is probably not as big as basketball but it is played across the world and I wouldn't call it a very minor sport.

In terms of college hoops - the major teams in the major conferences would be very similar to professional environments. However North Dakota is very much a small fish (currently ranked somewhere between 90-100) in a minor conference. Let's not get ahead of ourselves and let Mitchell learn our game - it will take him time.

In the meantime we still have a real need for at least one more ruckman that can perform in the Ressies and that will be able to step up if and when needed.
    Rugby in Canada is on a par with ice hockey in Australia. It's the personal qualities of the individual that count.

Pyke represented Canada but played his club Rubgy in Scotland and France, a very poor comparison with Ice Hockey in Australia.

I think there is absolutely no doubt that the US is riddled with potential Mike Pykes. Some phenomenal athletes in the college system - even outside the major conferences. Many will not make it to the big time because there are only so many NFL/NBA/MLB/NHL franchises.

I am surprised that more clubs aren't taking gambles on international rookies. If you have the physical attributes, the fine motor skills and the right mental attitude you are a contender for AFL. The rest can be taught - even with a late start. I like what I see in this guy and we have proven that our system will work (ala Pyke) to build highly serviceable Swans.

P.Mitchell would clearly appear to possess the first two and you'd have to think the Swans recruiters liked what they saw/heard in relation to the third thus giving it a whirl.

The reality is though Mike Pyke is a freak of nature. His ability to learn the game coming from the top level in another sport ( not counting Gaelic football and the Irish ) is something no other player has done yet. I'm sure plenty have tried, plenty more will try, I'm sure there will evntually be more success stories to. I doubt they will start coming in thick and fast though, and Mitchell has a long, long way to go before his name and senior football are mentioned in the same sentence.

On the Rookie List
    Are we just assuming that Mitchell is going to be a ruckman?
    "Take me down to the Paradise City where the grass is green and the Swans win pretty."

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast