Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: State League Player Permit Trial from 2014

And we can gather from here that gambler is for eagles and mug punter is clearly not and never has been, I do agree with part of the post, it does hurt the local comp, this is a set up for the AFL reserves teams, where local teams will have no money especially in sydney apart from handouts to be competitive then when it fails they will have to pick up the pieces and rebuild clubs which are fractured.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    A silly post.

The NEAFL is a flawed system to begin with. The AFL reserves clubs still dominate as with previous formats but now we have the local comp being affected in a major way. Top ups for Swans and GWS would be more than sufficient for the small number of elite players in Sydney.

We now have the SFL clubs acting as feeder clubs to Baulko and Sydney Uni which further denigrates the local comp.

Let players who wish to play for one of these clubs do what all players have to do, sign up and commit for a full season with their teammates.

The advantages being given to Bauklo and Sydney Uni over all the other clubs in Sydney, who just happened to be less successful at the end of 2012 is ridiculous. If I was running a club and Sydney Uni took my best player on a weekend when I had a vital match coming up I would be furious and rightly so. But you don't care about that, all you care about is Baulko's god given right to do what is best for them.

It's so insulting to the SFL clubs that it's not funny.

Warming the Bench
    The sky is falling in, the sky is falling in........ oh hang on, it was just an acorn. I think we all need to take a few deep breaths, relax and see how it all plays out.

I'm more than confident that the Eagles won't be going after every clubs "best players" every weekend. I would envisage that there may be some opportunities for young players (sorry Pekay) to be asked "if" they would like to play and from the feedback I have so far, some (not all) coaches will encourage them to play at a higher level.

A major part of every coaches job is to develop their young players and to provide them with the very best guidance and advice. Personally, I have never had a coach say to me that I shouldn't be striving to play at the highest level possible. Every coach I have ever had encouraged me to play at the highest level possible and to take every opportunity given to me.

And Chatova, the same advice was given to the player you mentioned who played the last 2 games at GWS. It was and is in his personal best interests to take every opportunity given to him and he was encouraged to play there. All players at the Eagles are encouraged to play at a higher level as this is in the best interests of the player. This is more important than the club IMHO. One player missing is not going to be the difference between winning and losing on a weekend unless of course his name is Buddy Franklin.

Quote Originally Posted by chatovadafloor View Post
    And we can gather from here that gambler is for eagles and mug punter is clearly not and never has been, I do agree with part of the post, it does hurt the local comp, this is a set up for the AFL reserves teams, where local teams will have no money especially in sydney apart from handouts to be competitive then when it fails they will have to pick up the pieces and rebuild clubs which are fractured.
    The AFL are letting 2 PD clubs pick players from other PD and lower clubs that they compete against for their NEAFL squad.

Talk about a conflict of interest.

It sounds like the AFL are taking sides with 2 of their 2nd favourite clubs (we know who the 1st favourite club is) at the expense of the rest of us plebs.

There's no chance certain players might be strategically picked to remove them from certain PD games is there?

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Freedman View Post
    The sky is falling in, the sky is falling in........ oh hang on, it was just an acorn. I think we all need to take a few deep breaths, relax and see how it all plays out.

I'm more than confident that the Eagles won't be going after every clubs "best players" every weekend. I would envisage that there may be some opportunities for young players (sorry Pekay) to be asked "if" they would like to play and from the feedback I have so far, some (not all) coaches will encourage them to play at a higher level.

A major part of every coaches job is to develop their young players and to provide them with the very best guidance and advice. Personally, I have never had a coach say to me that I shouldn't be striving to play at the highest level possible. Every coach I have ever had encouraged me to play at the highest level possible and to take every opportunity given to me.

And Chatova, the same advice was given to the player you mentioned who played the last 2 games at GWS. It was and is in his personal best interests to take every opportunity given to him and he was encouraged to play there. All players at the Eagles are encouraged to play at a higher level as this is in the best interests of the player. This is more important than the club IMHO. One player missing is not going to be the difference between winning and losing on a weekend unless of course his name is Buddy Franklin.
    Clearly this is a good outcome for your club being able to cherry pick players from other clubs at will.

Don't expect Sydney Uni or Baulko to care about the greater good, and to be fair it's not your role, but the NSWAFL should hang its head in shame. It's a shameful case of picking favourites to the detriment of the rest of the SFL world.

The whole NEAFL concept is, apart from to Sydney Uni and Baulko, the worst thing I can remember happening to the local game. There should be TWO pathways - Sydney Swans and GWS. Not two amateur clubs that have done nothing more than been successful at a point in time and in the case of Sydney Uni a club that historically has no right to be deserving of the privileges it is currently getting.

The SFL, for all its weaknesses, used to be the premier league in this state. It is now forever weakened by having its two best teams (only because of the funding they and only they get) being cannon fodder for this AFL thinktank called the NEAFL.

Can the NEAFL, put the Lions, Suns, Swans and Giants into the SANFL with decently funded local top-ups that do not create this blatant favouritism and self interest.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chatovadafloor View Post
    The SFL Flag used to be something to aspire to for clubs in Sydney. Now it is the reward for the third best team in the city. And the two best teams (only because of their funding) are and will always be cannon fodder for the AFL outfits.

I'll go as far as to say that a non-AFL team will NEVER win the NEAFL, how can it playing against full time professionals, it would be an embarrassment if they didn't win it. How can this be a meaningful comp except to provide the AFL teams with somewhat better competition for their twos? It's a deadest joke of a comp and it has destroyed the local game in Sydney. Those muppets down at Weldon winning the flag this year is a perfect case in point.

I'm pretty sure that this is going to end up with Uni and Hills 'borrowing' the best players from every other PD club on a weekly basis. Never mind the fact that they would both have 50 odd blokes in their senior squads who have designs on playing NEAFL or PD who have come to those clubs for money, opportunity or whatever. Fair dinkum. Get over yourselves.

As for Uni doing nothing for junior football, the senior players run training every other week at Glebe, Drummoyne and Newtown. Not sure how much more they can do given the nature of it being a University club. I don't know how many 12 year olds are studying at university these days but I'm a bit out of the loop so I don't really know. If only the minuscule geographical area Uni has to itself had more children playing Aussie Rules! Tell me again what our good friends 500 metres down Broadway do for junior footy - if Uni are not meeting expectations in comparison to them and you have suggestions to rectify that then I'm sure the club's executive would be all ears. Or is it just easier to bash SU and offer no solutions?

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Clearly this is a good outcome for your club being able to cherry pick players from other clubs at will.

Don't expect Sydney Uni or Baulko to care about the greater good, and to be fair it's not your role, but the NSWAFL should hang its head in shame. It's a shameful case of picking favourites to the detriment of the rest of the SFL world.

The whole NEAFL concept is, apart from to Sydney Uni and Baulko, the worst thing I can remember happening to the local game. There should be TWO pathways - Sydney Swans and GWS. Not two amateur clubs that have done nothing more than been successful at a point in time and in the case of Sydney Uni a club that historically has no right to be deserving of the privileges it is currently getting.

The SFL, for all its weaknesses, used to be the premier league in this state. It is now forever weakened by having its two best teams (only because of the funding they and only they get) being cannon fodder for this AFL thinktank called the NEAFL.

Can the NEAFL, put the Lions, Suns, Swans and Giants into the SANFL with decently funded local top-ups that do not create this blatant favouritism and self interest.

- - - Updated - - -

The SFL Flag used to be something to aspire to for clubs in Sydney. Now it is the reward for the third best team in the city. And the two best teams (only because of their funding) are and will always be cannon fodder for the AFL outfits.

I'll go as far as to say that a non-AFL team will NEVER win the NEAFL, how can it playing against full time professionals, it would be an embarrassment if they didn't win it. How can this be a meaningful comp except to provide the AFL teams with somewhat better competition for their twos? It's a deadest joke of a comp and it has destroyed the local game in Sydney. Those muppets down at Weldon winning the flag this year is a perfect case in point.
    Your hatred of Uni must keep you awake at night. It's unhealthy. Why don't you come to No.1 for a game or two next year - I will show you around, introduce you to our committee and all the rest of it. You don't have to make a call now - have a think about it and get back to me in April. We would love to have you down.

Quote Originally Posted by The Student View Post
    Your hatred of Uni must keep you awake at night. It's unhealthy. Why don't you come to No.1 for a game or two next year - I will show you around, introduce you to our committee and all the rest of it. You don't have to make a call now - have a think about it and get back to me in April. We would love to have you down.
    MugPunter, every time you come onto our forum,you bagg out footy in NSW....SydUni, Balmain or the Eagles, NEAFL or the people running the SAFL. I don't understand why you bother following our footy at all - you should try NRL or some other sport where negativity is their go.
    Last edited by justabaraker; 9th November 2013 at 07:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Student View Post
    I'm pretty sure that this is going to end up with Uni and Hills 'borrowing' the best players from every other PD club on a weekly basis. Never mind the fact that they would both have 50 odd blokes in their senior squads who have designs on playing NEAFL or PD who have come to those clubs for money, opportunity or whatever. Fair dinkum. Get over yourselves.

As for Uni doing nothing for junior football, the senior players run training every other week at Glebe, Drummoyne and Newtown. Not sure how much more they can do given the nature of it being a University club. I don't know how many 12 year olds are studying at university these days but I'm a bit out of the loop so I don't really know. If only the minuscule geographical area Uni has to itself had more children playing Aussie Rules! Tell me again what our good friends 500 metres down Broadway do for junior footy - if Uni are not meeting expectations in comparison to them and you have suggestions to rectify that then I'm sure the club's executive would be all ears. Or is it just easier to bash SU and offer no solutions?

- - - Updated - - -

Whatever.....

Regular in the Side
    I think the original premise surrounding this "player borrowing" system assumed both SU and SHEagles would not field a PD team. This way there would not be this conflict of interest at a PD level that now exists. However the demise of Balmain and The Gong would have resulted in a change of plans.
    I cannot imagine a PD player with any fire in his veins would forgo a game with his beloved club and his mates to wear an Eagles or Students jumper. It's ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Freedman View Post

Agree to disagree on the last part... To me it proves the eagles and uni are just pawns in this neafl by giving there players up when the team they signed up for are playing on the same weekend. It is a opinion only but one i have, fair enough if the team you are signed up too has a bye but even then i question the decision as there is a decent pool elsewhere not in a neafl club already

On the Rookie List
    The process for appointment to the NEAFL was managed through the AFL (the national body). Any club so inclined was able to put together a submission for the league if they were so inclined, from which the AFL selected the two teams which compete presently.
    You can bleat about the presence of the NEAFL but the reality is it is in existence, Sydney Uni and Baulkham Hills took the opportunity and maybe in any event timing was the major factor.
    The fact is that a lot of the traditional clubs in Sydney have stood still for too long and are being overtaken by more progressive clubs yet out of self interest they yearn to return to the golry days when the two team SFL club was the elite entity in this footballing backwater.
    Whilst anyone is entitled to an opinion of what is good for Sydney footy, my 30 year involvement here leads me to the conclusion that ultimately each individual club acts in its own best interests.
    As for the oft repeated failure of Sydney Uni to develop juniors it is simply false. Further, the nature of our club allows many adults to play football for the first time which clearly develops the code.
    Finally, the simple matter remains at least 90% of participants in the SFL are amateur, the crowd is almost all families or past players and has been for some years, adult participation rates are at the highest levels since I can remember which dates back to the early 80s hardly the gloom and doom some would have believe even if the very top end no longer has the big names

Noodle, I don't disagree with anything you wrote - I think you've put it all well.
    But, alongside all of that, I'm wondering how your club is viewing its involvement in the NEAFL, two years down the track.

What does SydUni hope to gain from mixing it with the big guys like this ? Someone drafted to an AFL club ? Prestige ? When it was first outlined, I thought NEAFL was a top idea but, two years along the way, it does seem a mighty drain on the club's volunteers and finances, and the time requirements on the coaches and players. A lot of people are sacrificing big chunks of their weekday evenings and weekends. And for what gain ?

On the other hand, I look at the "traditional clubs in Sydney who have stood still for too long and are being overtaken", and I see clubs living within their means, requiring committments that are do-able with study and work requirements, and supported by crowds that might be small but they are bigger than the ones that get out to SydUni matches...Sydney footy as it has been for the 20-odd years since I moved here from interstate.

Having said that, I do like going to SydUni matches for the feel of teamwork and involvement among the helpers. For the best meat pies in Sydney footy. And, of course, for those cute yoga mats that you guys have on the boundary line before the match starts.

Senior Player
    Sorry justa your in jest arnt u. It's been 4?of more years since sus had an operational canteen at a game I've been involved in over there

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast