Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: State League Player Permit Trial from 2014

Quote Originally Posted by tara View Post
    Sorry justa your in jest arnt u. It's been 4?of more years since sus had an operational canteen at a game I've been involved in over there
    Been fine for me - I think they must have heard that I was in town !
    At No1, the guys seem to do a good enough job. At Drummoyne they seem to enlist the help of the Drummoyne junior club.

PS - if we're talking 'catering' then I couldn't go past Baulko for going the extra mile with variety and enthusiastic helpers....I was out at Purser one day when they turned on smoked salmon !

Senior Player
    I was having almost a tounge in cheek shot across their bow but the truth is as a lower div club we haven't seem no 1 oval since 2009 and before that 2006. We enjoy the salubrious facilities that the always political correct institution of St. Paul's has to offer.
    I'm rather partial to smoked salmon and capers on occasion however it's not something I'd want as a footballer. Can just imagine the reflux and that's just I'm the warm up

pancakes always a winner on game days too

On the Rookie List
    Justa, the short answer is the NEAFL continues to have its challenges but the day when we beat Ainslie it was all worth it, but there have been others not so good (Motor's response to our crowd clapping our first behind against the Swans at BISP was priceless).
    One of the primary motivations of going to the NEAFL is to give Aussie Rules a higher profile in the University's sports program and thereby increasing the opportunity for kids in NSW to study and play football rather than say have a part time job. As a past player watching the standard of footy is fantastic (particularly when you consider 6 or 7 years ago we were playing in the SFA).
    I agree with you all that where the experiment ends nobody can really be sure but we figured we really may only get one chance and we though better to try and fail than always wonder what if ?
    Tara, St Pauls is always hard work. We are lucky to have an additional ground on campus but the facilities are certainly inadequate. We have never been flush for non-playing volunteers and running 6 sides is obvioulsy stretching that already limited capacity (I could also talk about the difference in culture of the current generation in regards to staying at the club all day to help out but I would digress and do a disservice to those that do).
    Had a classic at the committee meeting a few years back when one higher profile recruit fronted the president and couldn't believe someone had told him he was required to cook the BBQ for an hour a couple of hours before the game, certain change in culture there.
    As for catering the burgers at Penno will always get my vote.

Quote Originally Posted by Noodle View Post
    Justa, the short answer is the NEAFL continues to have its challenges but the day when we beat Ainslie it was all worth it, but there have been others not so good (Motor's response to our crowd clapping our first behind against the Swans at BISP was priceless).
    One of the primary motivations of going to the NEAFL is to give Aussie Rules a higher profile in the University's sports program and thereby increasing the opportunity for kids in NSW to study and play football rather than say have a part time job. As a past player watching the standard of footy is fantastic (particularly when you consider 6 or 7 years ago we were playing in the SFA).
    I agree with you all that where the experiment ends nobody can really be sure but we figured we really may only get one chance and we though better to try and fail than always wonder what if ?
    Tara, St Pauls is always hard work. We are lucky to have an additional ground on campus but the facilities are certainly inadequate. We have never been flush for non-playing volunteers and running 6 sides is obvioulsy stretching that already limited capacity (I could also talk about the difference in culture of the current generation in regards to staying at the club all day to help out but I would digress and do a disservice to those that do).
    Had a classic at the committee meeting a few years back when one higher profile recruit fronted the president and couldn't believe someone had told him he was required to cook the BBQ for an hour a couple of hours before the game, certain change in culture there.
    As for catering the burgers at Penno will always get my vote.
    Interesting to read on fox sports today in the Billy Longer interview that the reason a lot of Brisbane lions ressies are looking elsewhere is because they didn't rate being part of the NEAFL and beating everyone by 10 goals.

Warming the Bench
    Hmmmm.......not sure what glasses you were wearing when you read that article Bigshow.

Page Not Found | Fox Sports News, Live Sport, Sports | Fox Sports

Extract below:
    The fringe players often felt on the outer, never more so than when the Lions invited only a select group of 18 senior players to embark on altitude training in Arizona last year.

For his part, Longer said he found it frustrating to play in the Lions' seconds team, which dominated the weak North Eastern AFL competition. Brisbane won every NEAFL match in which he played in 2012, by an average margin of 10 goals.

The lack of communication and player development helps to explain why so many young Lions wanted out at the end of this season.

"Myself and the other guys (on the fringe) became really tight because we were young and spending a lot of time together,'' Longer said.

"We obviously spoke about it, and in the end players wanted to leave for different reasons. For some it was purely the go-home factor, for others it was a lack of opportunity, for some it was about not really fitting in. It wasn't just one reason for all of us. It was personal and it was different reasons for different guys.''

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Freedman View Post
    Hmmmm.......not sure what glasses you were wearing when you read that article Bigshow.

Page Not Found | Fox Sports News, Live Sport, Sports | Fox Sports

Extract below:
    The fringe players often felt on the outer, never more so than when the Lions invited only a select group of 18 senior players to embark on altitude training in Arizona last year.

For his part, Longer said he found it frustrating to play in the Lions' seconds team, which dominated the weak North Eastern AFL competition. Brisbane won every NEAFL match in which he played in 2012, by an average margin of 10 goals.

The lack of communication and player development helps to explain why so many young Lions wanted out at the end of this season.

"Myself and the other guys (on the fringe) became really tight because we were young and spending a lot of time together,'' Longer said.

"We obviously spoke about it, and in the end players wanted to leave for different reasons. For some it was purely the go-home factor, for others it was a lack of opportunity, for some it was about not really fitting in. It wasn't just one reason for all of us. It was personal and it was different reasons for different guys.''
    Mmmmm, not sure what part of "weak North Eastern AFL competition" you can't see. And the Northern NEAFL is the stronger of the two.

I can't imagine the Swans and Bogans are too happy about the NEAFL. Sure it's better than playing in the SFL but it can't really meet their needs. Sooner the four NEAFL AFL reserve teams play in a 14 team SANFL along with Port Adelaide and Adelaide the better for everyone.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    Mmmmm, not sure what part of "weak North Eastern AFL competition" you can't see. And the Northern NEAFL is the stronger of the two.

I can't imagine the Swans and Bogans are too happy about the NEAFL. Sure it's better than playing in the SFL but it can't really meet their needs. Sooner the four NEAFL AFL reserve teams play in a 14 team SANFL along with Port Adelaide and Adelaide the better for everyone.
    Mug Punter, your constant bagging of the NEAFL has finally made me see the light. Your strong arguments of "its not fair" "its too hard" "they will never win" has convinced me that we should just pack up the bat and ball and go home.

We need to simply go back to allowing the majority of the best talent in Metro NSW to move interstate (or ACT) to play a higher standard of football than what the SFL offers. Alternatively they can be used as cannon fodder by the Swans & GWS when they need top ups and be called toppies because no one wants to know their name.

Your argument makes absolute perfect sense to me now and I can't believe it took me so long to jump on board
    Last edited by Tim Freedman; 15th November 2013 at 01:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Freedman View Post
    Mug Punter, your constant bagging of the NEAFL has finally made me see the light. Your strong arguments of "its not fair" "its too hard" "they will never win" has convinced me that we should just pack up the bat and ball and go home.

We need to simply go back to allowing the majority of the best talent in Metro NSW to move interstate (or ACT) to play a higher standard of football than what the SFL offers. Alternatively they can be used as cannon fodder by the Swans & GWS when they need top ups and be called toppies because no one wants to know their name.

Your argument makes absolute perfect sense to me now and I can't believe it took me so long to jump on board
    TimF, who needs an AFL flunkie like Tom Harley when we have quality thinkers like this, available on our doorstep.
    Mug Punter for the next CEO of NSW footy I reckon !

Quote Originally Posted by justabaraker View Post
    Noodle, I'm wondering how your club is viewing its involvement in the NEAFL, two years down the track.

What does SydUni hope to gain from mixing it with the big guys like this ? Someone drafted to an AFL club ? Prestige ? When it was first outlined, I thought NEAFL was a top idea but, two years along the way, it does seem a mighty drain on the club's volunteers and finances, and the time requirements on the coaches and players. A lot of people are sacrificing big chunks of their weekday evenings and weekends. And for what gain ?

On the other hand, I look at the "traditional clubs in Sydney who have stood still for too long and are being overtaken", and I see clubs living within their means, requiring committments that are do-able with study and work requirements, and supported by crowds that might be small but they are bigger than the ones that get out to SydUni matches...Sydney footy as it has been for the 20-odd years since I moved here from interstate.
    TimF, here are some questions that I asked a SydUni fan about their involvement in NEAFL two years on - I thought his answers were top.
    How are the Eagles travelling, two years down the track ? It's cost a lot of money, stretched the volunteers hard, and the main SAFL teams are not travelling well. The NEAFL team has not done well this season.
    Has it been worth it ?

On the Rookie List
    As I understand it Bigshow, the Lions reserves have been playing int the QAFL for a significant period of time prior to the NEAFL and have not always been the best side.
    Conversely, I can't imagine that at this point Sydney Uni are yet of a quality to prepare young footballers for AFL Footy, in 2012 we came up against Mike Pyke and Jesse White in tandem in the ruck, when I talked to our bloke at training about playing aginst them he described it as "emasculating". Our blokes just aren't on the same scale.
    The AFL reserves sides now play more fixtures against each other, we played GWS and the Swans once each last year SHE four times I think. As I said earlier whether it works or it doesn't is yet to be seen but at the moment it is here and that is framework we deal within. If they were go for interstate travel ie, the SANFL they would have simply remained n the VFL obviously the AFL aren't up for it.
    As for Longer, my life observation is this, most humans use reverse logic, they do what they want to do then find excuses to justify there original decision. You get a bit of that on this forum, this is what is best for us and this is why it is the right thing.

So if I've got this right...a club that doesn't join the NEAFL is expected to prop up those that do, at the expense of their own form and player development?

Very few clubs have cash to throw around on recruitment yet the expectation is their best player might have to play for another club...ridiculous!

This all sounds like an after-thought to a faulty system.

Surely if a club decides it can handle the NEAFL then it must allow for depth before entering the fray? This isn't a 'pathway', this is a band-aid measure!

If a kid is good enough for an AFL career, he'll be noticed no matter where he plays in this town.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast