Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swans Drafting and Trading History

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    We have done really well from the Rookie draft but my point was that our first two round draft picks have rarely lived up to expectation. Looking at that list I think I am right in that. Lamb is now playing for GWS so that is another loss. We tend to do well with players drafted over 30.
    Parker 40,
    AJ 57,
    Birdie 53,
    Goodsie 43,
    Hannas 30 (how did he last that long?),
    Mal 64,
    ROK 56,
    Reid 38.

Then let us look at rookie elevations; Smithy, Reg, Rampe, /kizza, BJ, Harry & Biggs have all played seniors and some have played in premierships.

Add to that players we traded for Teddy 27, Joey 40, Benny rookie 55 & Rhyce 18. Not to mention Tip 32 & Buddy who was actually a first rounder at 5.

We have done very well at the trade in the past too. Hally, Plugger, Schwatta, Marty, Craig Bolton, N. Cordy, Cressa (played in Cats reserves), Nick Davis, Spida, Jolly, Jason Ball, Kappler, Healy, Maxfield, Merv Neagle, Schauble, Steve Taubert (mainly because he is the greatest ruck coach ever), Bernard Toohey, Willo, Greg Williams. I must admit we have had a fair amount of retirees in the early days coming up here and not earning their money. We have also had a lot of good players go the other way, the name Morwood stands out because there were so many of them.
    Agree we pick up some diamonds later in the draft but our last 6 top 30 picks (Lewis Johnston, Hanners, Rohan, Jetta, Lamb and Mitchell) has seen 5/6 players who have kicked on well (believe Lamb will be a 100+ game player with GWS) and it's hard to argue against that. Previous years left a bit to be desired though.

I know I'm being technical but Craig Bolton wasn't traded....we picked him up in the Pre-Season draft.....although having said that he was only in the pre-season draft because he wanted to play for us and walked out on Brisbane (well I'm pretty sure he wasn't de-listed)

We seem to have a habit of NOT picking and expected/rated player in the first round...(apart from Rohan and Lamb) and it's fair to say that this strategy has not been a success!

In fairness Josh Willoughby was an All-Australian......but Smokey O'Keefe????? As I recall no other team was even sniffing...I mean we could have had....Shaun Grigg, Mitch Brown, Tom Hislop, Gavin Urquart, Nathan Djekurra, Shane Edwards, Mark Austin or, or, or Bachar Houli...........actually that was a complete stinker of a draft......Kurt Tippett at 32 :-)

Lindsay Thomas, Robbie Gray and Tyson Goldsack down the 50s...plus Jesse White at 79!

Sam Jacobs, Clint Jones, Sharrod Wellingham, Matt Suckling, Brent MacAffer, Jarrod Harbrow, Tom Lonergan, Jaryn Geary and NICK SMITH in the Rookie draft. Would have to be the the thinnest year ever. West Coast managed to get 3 actual players in the ND which would be unique....Mitch Brown, Eric MacKenzie and Will Schofied.

HAving excused the recruiting department, it is worth noting that Daniel O'Keefe is the ONLY player in the top 50 of 2006 to NOT have a wikipedia page. That's a monumental stuff up right there. Maybe he would have got a game at a crap club so bad luck for him getting drafted by the Swans.
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    I know I'm being technical but Craig Bolton wasn't traded....
    Neither was Cressa, who was quite possibly the best mid-season draftee ever.

I suppose I'm guessing there because I have no NFI about other teams mid-season draft selections, but 200+ games at the top level is a fair career for a mid-season draftee. Dale Lewis may be the second best ever...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    HAving excused the recruiting department, it is worth noting that Daniel O'Keefe is the ONLY player in the top 50 of 2006 to NOT have a wikipedia page. That's a monumental stuff up right there. Maybe he would have got a game at a crap club so bad luck for him getting drafted by the Swans.
    Trivia question. DOK and one other player drafted in the top 50 have not played a senior game. Which player?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    Trivia question. DOK and one other player drafted in the top 50 have not played a senior game. Which player?
    Vindaloo

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    Vindaloo
    In other words Currie.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    I haven't checked this but he probably also holds the record for most years on an AFL list without playing a senior game

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    I know a lot's been said/written about Moneyball and how our recruiting strategy is (in some ways) similar, but one thing that sometimes gets overlooked is that Billy Beane (manager of the Oakland A's) himself was a first round draft pick out of high school who didn't live up to expectations, because the major league wasn't for him. (I think he said it was the only decision he made in his life that was based on money and he'd never do it again.) What's between the ears is just as important in determining whether a player succeeds or fails.

Quote Originally Posted by Xie Shan View Post
    ...What's between the ears is just as important in determining whether a player succeeds or fails.
    Hence the origin of Ricky Barhams 'No Dickheads' policy.

Some see Buddy as a bit of a dickhead (I don't), but the alleged policy is not applicable for proven players as you know what you are getting and what they are capable of. If the club thinks they can safely deal with the personalities they should sign them.

Barham spoke of interviewing scores of draft aspirants where in most cases there was little to separate them. He said that when there is such a fine line, he just puts the pen thru the 'dickheads' because they are not worth the risk. Given players were not literally falling over themselves to get to Sydney back in those days, it was even more applicable.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12