Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: 2014 Team Nominations

One of those unintended consequences for Riverview, given they already field a couple of U/16 now to be U/17 teams and most year 12 boys would be over 17 going into Year 12.
    Maybe the college will relax its rules and let those Year 12 boys who still want to play have run with Norths.

No Auburn.

Sure I speak for most in the Sydney AFL community when I say good riddance

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    No Auburn.

Sure I speak for most in the Sydney AFL community when I say good riddance
    Wonder if this will get a run in Andy D's AFL launch speech in a few months?

It's funny, it doesn't seem that long ago around here that those with ties to Premier Division clubs thought it laughable that anyone would suggest that the old SFA might be stronger than Premier Division twos.....

Many current Premier sides are weaker than old reserve sides of 20 or so years ago.

Warming the Bench

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by pieater View Post
    Many current Premier sides are weaker than old reserve sides of 20 or so years ago.

on what proof can you determine that mate? living in the past somewhat?

Can hardly recall a more absurd post!

Can only call it as I and many others see it. The truth sometimes hurts.

Warming the Bench
    Can only call it as I and many others see it. The truth sometimes hurts.

i think the truth hurts in your case mate, you and many others being those who played in the past? maybe your embrassed with how you "former" club is travelling like many others have nothing better to say than "the comps not as good as it used to be" times are tough mate move on from the past

do you think this contributor is just trying to take the p*ss and liven things up during this long off season ?
    If so then it doesn't take much, when we're all so desperate to talk footy does it ?

You have to wonder how you compare teams of different eras....I suppose you compare fitness, skills/training and passion/determination.
    I seem to recall that teams of 20 years ago were full of fatties and skinny kids - looks to me that more and more juniors these days look like greyhounds. 20 years ago you'd look for a kid with skills then get him fit....now you look for a runner then teach him to play footy.
    Skills and training have come a long way in 20 years so surely you'd have to think that new teams have better skills.
    I reckon it's still hard for a lot of our clubs to put a seconds team on the paddock each weekend and I wonder whether the passion/determination have improved much.

50 or 60 of our best are away each weekend playing NEAFL or topping-up for the AFL teams and that would have a knock-on effect to the second and third tier players.

I can't tell whether the reserves are weaker than 20 years ago, but I reckon that what I've written are the things we need to measure when we are thinking about it.
    Last edited by justabaraker; 4th December 2013 at 08:38 PM.

I think that the current first grade comp is a shadow of its former self, largely due (as mentioned by someone else) the NEAFL taking about 60 blokes each week (that's 5 A graders per club).

The top 3-4 of the old SFA would usually be well above SFL reserves with the middle 3-4 on par and the bottom 2-3 below standard.

Certainly some of the old power SFA sides would do quite well in this SFL comp. The Manly sides of the mid 90s (Peter Robertson, the Andersons and Hogarth) would not lose too much against the current Manly Premiers. Nor would the strong Holroyd Parramatta and Mac Uni struggle too much.

To say that the current SFL first grade sides are worse than the ressies in the early 90s is a laughable statement though.

Making the statement and then vindicating with "the truth hurts" tells me that the contributor did play back then ... and never learned how to duck a tackle!!! ... a somewhat different game now, comparing apples and oranges.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234