Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Goodes wins NSW Australian of the Year award

Happy and I know it

Goodes wins NSW Australian of the Year award

Adam Goodes named NSW Australian of the Year

Congratulations to Goodesy. Legend.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Congratulations Adam.
    Well deserved.

Veterans List
    Magnificent! A tremendous and well-deserved honour.

Yes it is a well deserved honour but I would have thought the PR dept at the Swans would have had that plastered over the website already but not a whisper. Pretty slack. I got the news of Derrickx from AFL.com yesterday and it wasn't on the Swans site until much later. This Goodsie award is huge, he could be named Australian of the Year and the PR Dept should be in overdrive over this.

Happy and I know it
    Here you are Wolftone57:

Goodes named NSW Australian of the Year - sydneyswans.com.au

Also on the Swans' Twitter feed and Facebook page.
    All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing. - Edmund Burke

Goodesgoodesgoodesgoodes! Industrial Fan's Avatar
    What an exceptional man.
    He ate more cheese, than time allowed

Adam Goodes is such a worthy recipient of this honour. Now we need to ramp up the campaign to have the Brewongle Stand renamed 'The Goodes Stand' as a RWOer suggested some time ago.

Regular in the Side
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Adam Goodes is such a worthy recipient of this honour. Now we need to ramp up the campaign to have the Brewongle Stand renamed 'The Goodes Stand' as a RWOer suggested some time ago.
    That RWOer was me.

I am very passionate about it, and with Adam Goodes' retirement now only a year or two in the future, I am really keen to get the campaign formally started soon.

I see the biggest hurdle being the conservative, heavily pro-cricket position of the SCG Trust, led by Chairman Rodney Cavalier. Cavalier is enigma. In his days in NSW state politics in the 1980's he was from the Left faction of the ALP. But as the Chair of the SCG Trust, he comes across a very conservative in the pure sense of the word: ie, reluctant to change, and particularly focused on cricket .

Obviously Adam Goodes would have to also OK the campaign.

Veterans List
    Huge congratulations to Adam for this - I hope he does become Australian of the year. But don't overlook that, at the GQ awards last night he was declared truly special:
    Men of Chivalry Award - Adam Goodes.

A nice salute to Adam Goodes in this Malcolm Knox column on the degraded relationship between sports star and fan.

An inspired individual can show a way out. When a fan expressed her right to free speech by calling Adam Goodes an ape, one-to-one, direct, no media, no crap, just calling it the way she saw it, look at what Goodes did. He let her know, in plain English without abuse, that what she had said was out of line. He let the designated ground authorities decide on immediate further action. When he found out she was a minor, he phoned her and held a civil, constructive conversation. She is no doubt better for it, and he is our state's nominee for Australian of the Year. When it seems impossible for sportspeople to negotiate the twists and thickets of personal relationships with the public, someone steps up to lead the way. That's a sporting hero.

The Goodes, bad and ugly way to hit back at fans
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

You meet very few people in the world like Goodes. I wasn't easily sold on him, but as every year passes my affection for him as grown.

He can be free-spirited, like a party, enjoy the media and at times be a little petulant on field, but non of those modern day, sports-star afflictions have ever gotten in the way of the fact that ultimately, he's got a noble and kind heart.

Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    A nice salute to Adam Goodes in this Malcolm Knox column on the degraded relationship between sports star and fan.

An inspired individual can show a way out. When a fan expressed her right to free speech by calling Adam Goodes an ape, one-to-one, direct, no media, no crap, just calling it the way she saw it, look at what Goodes did. He let her know, in plain English without abuse, that what she had said was out of line. He let the designated ground authorities decide on immediate further action. When he found out she was a minor, he phoned her and held a civil, constructive conversation. She is no doubt better for it, and he is our state's nominee for Australian of the Year. When it seems impossible for sportspeople to negotiate the twists and thickets of personal relationships with the public, someone steps up to lead the way. That's a sporting hero.

The Goodes, bad and ugly way to hit back at fans
    Nice article. Thx for the link
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast