Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Draft Prospects

Veterans List
    I think you will find GWS almost impossible to trade with. They are in a position of strength trade wise and seem to have a loathing for us when you see what they gave us for Mumford and how they refused to deal for Lamb instead using the PSD to get him for free.

Their time will come when a heap of high draft picks who are not getting a regular game flee back to Melbourne but I doubt we'll be able to snare any.

KPD is where we may have a weakness, that's why I think it's important LRT continues, just for back up whilst we develop other players. Still think Reid will become our longer term CHB, and a very good one too.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    I have raised the possibility of trading for a Jake Carlisle in another thread and have been ridiculed. The trade that I proposed to get Carlisle has been even more ridiculed.

Great key backs are as precious as great key forwards. There not usually lying around as delisted free agents.

Drafting them always take years to come to fruition.
    That's true, but we've done pretty well over the years at identifying players we can make to do the job, and not having to give up a gun player to make it happen. I like Carlisle and think he is a good player, but the trade you've suggested would be a huge win for one club, and I don't think that would be us.

When you consider what it cost us to get Richards, Bolton before him, and then a number of other defenders (Not Key defenders, but the point still stands), what you suggested for the trade was a lot to give up for Carlisle. You are spot on when you say they are valuable and hard to find, but that doesn't mean when you have the right recruiters, that there are good deals to be had for relatively little. That process is helped by free agency as well.
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Totally agree back line seems to be bargain basement buys, working so far but really think we need some ready made back men for the next step ?

Just wild about Harry
    Interesting that both of our KPDs started AFL life as forwards. Maybe we keep looking at forwards with a view to moving them back if we have too many (ie Reid).

For what it is worth, Ruckman and key position defenders can be 'manufactured' trading for ostensibly a solid defender I.e. carlisle is as distinct from an out and out gun luck Josh Gibson is nuts. Really most key defenders are just reliable at getting the ball to,ground, usually you can find some failed forwards to do this task.

I don't think we need to desperately recruit one. We have Allir Allir and X Richards coming through. We can nominate Abe Davis who looks likely

Regular in the Side MightyBloods's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    I think you will find GWS almost impossible to trade with. They are in a position of strength trade wise and seem to have a loathing for us when you see what they gave us for Mumford and how they refused to deal for Lamb instead using the PSD to get him for free.

Their time will come when a heap of high draft picks who are not getting a regular game flee back to Melbourne but I doubt we'll be able to snare any.

KPD is where we may have a weakness, that's why I think it's important LRT continues, just for back up whilst we develop other players. Still think Reid will become our longer term CHB, and a very good one too.
    There is a kid I rate highly and he is now getting a regular senior game....Adam Tomlinson. I know the family and I can tell you that he wants to return to Melbourne with a strong preference to Richmond. Choco Williams (ex assist GWS coach) is an assistant coach/mentor at Richmond and still very popular with a number of GWS kids. Choco has to be the kid whisperer of the AFL.

I can see GWS suffering a steady stream of good kids wishing to return home due a combination of their horrific setup as a club, terrible culture and the total lack of interest in the club from the Sydney public. They really are in a pickle as I cannot see any decent player going except as a last resort for a final paycheck. Mummy was a bit of an exception as we weren't able to offer a competitive deal due to the Buddy Deal but the fact the best they could attract was Heath Shaw speaks volumes.

Re our drafting, time will tell whether X or Alliir Alliir make it though I would suggest Alliir has significant work to do. We're lucky that Reid is a solid option to go down back. Isaac Heeney really really looks the goods in my books, just the way he moves and the little things around the ground. He'd have to be a special as the zone selection though long term I just expect the club to draft the best player available, hopefully we have an academy grad as top 10 ranked more often then not.

Apart from Heeney, I'd go for KPDs this draft as our mids, forwards and rucks look pretty solid.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by MightyBloods View Post
    There is a kid I rate highly and he is now getting a regular senior game....Adam Tomlinson. I know the family and I can tell you that he wants to return to Melbourne with a strong preference to Richmond. Choco Williams (ex assist GWS coach) is an assistant coach/mentor at Richmond and still very popular with a number of GWS kids. Choco has to be the kid whisperer of the AFL.
    I've always felt sad that the AFL system has not given Mark Williams another chance to be a senior coach. His record at Port which included a Premiership and a number of finals campaigns is as good as Paul Roos's time at the Swans.

Williams is not as good as Roos at managing PR and his own personal brand but I think he would be a very worthy senior coach and has the runs on the board.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    I have raised the possibility of trading for a Jake Carlisle in another thread and have been ridiculed. The trade that I proposed to get Carlisle has been even more ridiculed.

Great key backs are as precious as great key forwards. There not usually lying around as delisted free agents.

Drafting them always take years to come to fruition.
    I wouldn't want him personally and absolutely no way that we could afford him. Reality is we will be growing our own for a while yet, along with the occasional cast off or perhaps a 30 year old prepared to play for unders to win a flag as a la Lake.

This year should see Lloyd, Robinson and Naismith promoted to the senior list along with 4 draftees (Heeney and at least a couple of KPD prospects imo). We lose Goodesy, LRT and ROK who are probably on about $1.5M between them and delist four rookies and use the change to fund Buddy's salary increase and upgrade a couple of contracts.

Organic growth for the next couple of years suits me fine.

KPDS for the future

Alir - I will be amazed if this kid doesnt make it and I think he will be dominant enough by 2016 to be a starting KPD and most likely a FB

Davis - I think he could also be a very solid back in the mould of a Reg Grundy CHB..........Abe is quite a strong build already and turns 19 in Jan 2015 from memory so is a fair bit older then most draftees. Grundy will get another 2 to 3 seasons anyway in Snrs and then Abe or X will be ready for

X - not sure as yet.......he may take longer on the list like Teddy to get to the right type of weight and strength.

Reid - if we need him in the backs we can use him there but my gut feeling is the 3 above wil make it in the end and that will free up Reid to stay up front with Tippett and then Buddy will continue his roaming role ala Goodes of many years.

AJ - hope he recovers and if he does it will be a massive bonus as he will no doubt be serious competition for a KPD spot

who drops out for season 2015 ?

1. Shaw - My gut feeling is that Shaw (although in brilliant form now) maybe like ROK situation and he will need to retire in 2014 on the high rather then the fall
    2. ROK - will not be at the Swans in 2015
    3. LRT - will not be at the Swans in 2015
    4. Goodes - will retire on a high as he still looks like he is nursing his knees even though he has been very effective upon return his lateral movement doesnt appear to nearly the same
    5. Walsh - will not be at the Swans in 2015
    6. Towers - my guess is that Dean will want to trade or move on given his limited opportunity behind key forwards and the wing players of KJack, Jetta, Harry, BJ, Lloyd that are ahead of him
    7. Lockyear - will not be at the Swans in 2015
    8. Biggs - I think he will move on and not be at the swans in 2015

the random call

9. Rohan - will Gary choose to trade?.......he may want to as his opportunity behind Tip, Bud and Reidy is going to be limited - i also think the likes of Laidler, Jones and T.Mitchell will be in the 22 next year and that may make it difficult for Gary to find a spot anywhere UNLESS his leg and form is back to that 110%........I think we would be reluctant to let him go in 2015 though given the significant turnover of snr players

Who comes onto the Snr list in 2015

1. Lloyd
    2. Robinson
    3. Heeney - draftee
    4. draftee
    5. draftee
    6. draftee

7. A.Davis - rookie
    8. rookie?
    9. rookie?
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    KPDS for the future

Alir - I will be amazed if this kid doesnt make it and I think he will be dominant enough by 2016 to be a starting KPD and most likely a FB

Davis - I think he could also be a very solid back in the mould of a Reg Grundy CHB..........Abe is quite a strong build already and turns 19 in Jan 2015 from memory so is a fair bit older then most draftees. Grundy will get another 2 to 3 seasons anyway in Snrs and then Abe or X will be ready for

X - not sure as yet.......he may take longer on the list like Teddy to get to the right type of weight and strength.

Reid - if we need him in the backs we can use him there but my gut feeling is the 3 above wil make it in the end and that will free up Reid to stay up front with Tippett and then Buddy will continue his roaming role ala Goodes of many years.

AJ - hope he recovers and if he does it will be a massive bonus as he will no doubt be serious competition for a KPD spot

who drops out for season 2015 ?

1. Shaw - My gut feeling is that Shaw (although in brilliant form now) maybe like ROK situation and he will need to retire in 2014 on the high rather then the fall
    2. ROK - will not be at the Swans in 2015
    3. LRT - will not be at the Swans in 2015
    4. Goodes - will retire on a high as he still looks like he is nursing his knees even though he has been very effective upon return his lateral movement doesnt appear to nearly the same
    5. Walsh - will not be at the Swans in 2015
    6. Towers - my guess is that Dean will want to trade or move on given his limited opportunity behind key forwards and the wing players of KJack, Jetta, Harry, BJ, Lloyd that are ahead of him
    7. Lockyear - will not be at the Swans in 2015
    8. Biggs - I think he will move on and not be at the swans in 2015

the random call

9. Rohan - will Gary choose to trade?.......he may want to as his opportunity behind Tip, Bud and Reidy is going to be limited - i also think the likes of Laidler, Jones and T.Mitchell will be in the 22 next year and that may make it difficult for Gary to find a spot anywhere UNLESS his leg and form is back to that 110%........I think we would be reluctant to let him go in 2015 though given the significant turnover of snr players

Who comes onto the Snr list in 2015

1. Lloyd
    2. Robinson
    3. Heeney - draftee
    4. draftee
    5. draftee
    6. draftee

7. A.Davis - rookie
    8. rookie?
    9. rookie?
    I think that analysis is really good. I think if Goodes continues to improve his fitness and has a good finish to the season without any more injuries then he may want to play on.

I don't think that Rohan will get traded as his trade currency will not be good due to injury. I think Rohan will be Rhyce Shaw's long term replacement as a small, hard running, close checking defender. The beauty of him playing this position is that he is quite tall and is a strong overhead mark. His intercept marking could be also valuable down back.

I think Naismith will be the 3rd year rookie.

I can't see Rohan being traded, just like I can't see them looking to trade Mitchell.

Allir has a long way to go, but you could see in the weekend's game that he has some very promising attributes which could see him develop into a fine defender. Exceptionally raw though, and far too early in my book to be saying it would be 'amazing' for him not to make it. There has been a lot of players look great at reserve level, and not make it. And at the moment, Allir looks promising but very much still learning the game.

Is AJ out of contract at the end of the year?
    "You get the feeling that like Monty Python's Black Knight, the Swans would regard amputation as merely a flesh wound."

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast