Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 Draft Prospects

2014 Draft Prospects

Looks like next years draft pool is going to be strong. Lots of tall athletics players on offer and as usual plenty of midfield guns! Feel free to post here on any prospects looking at a shot at the big time in 2014.

Quote Originally Posted by YoungTalent101 View Post
    Looks like next years draft pool is going to be strong. Lots of tall athletics players on offer and as usual plenty of midfield guns! Feel free to post here on any prospects looking at a shot at the big time in 2014.
    I would think that after drafting 3 promising midfielders this year, and from your encouraging post on Heeney and Watson, that we will be targeting talls with our first couple of picks. With the likelihood of a high finish next year, I wonder if we will have to trade up (like Collingwood did this year) in order to get some of the best tall prospects before they are taken by other clubs.

I agree Ludwig. I reckon the best 3 midfielders in the academy at this point are Heeney, Watson and Foster. However I think the swans would only take a strong interest in Heeney and the other two might get a lucky rookie spot.

There are a lot of tall, key position players available in next years draft, so trading might have to be an option as the we might miss out on them if we have a pick at the end of the first round. But I still think that the swans will have to draft midfielders next year with ROK getting on as well as loosing lamb, which didnt really help.

Glutton for punishment BigBarryRound25's Avatar
    Pick 18 sounds good to me

Quote Originally Posted by YoungTalent101 View Post
    I agree Ludwig. I reckon the best 3 midfielders in the academy at this point are Heeney, Watson and Foster. However I think the swans would only take a strong interest in Heeney and the other two might get a lucky rookie spot.

There are a lot of tall, key position players available in next years draft, so trading might have to be an option as the we might miss out on them if we have a pick at the end of the first round. But I still think that the swans will have to draft midfielders next year with ROK getting on as well as loosing lamb, which didnt really help.
    But ROK is the last of the oldies until we get to McVeigh. We actually have a pretty young group of mids and a lot of good prospects as well. I assume that at least Heeney will be added to the list of good midfield prospects. There's still no obvious spots for Cunningham and BJ with about a half dozen other mids behind them. The Academy alone may be enough to supply midfielders for the next few years. So the focus may be on KPPs for a couple of years to come.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by BigBarryRound25 View Post
    Pick 18 sounds good to me
    I think Essendon still has a 1st rounder to forfeit, so that makes it pick 17.

Few key postions players coming out of WA and SA that I think are absolute gems...

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    I think Essendon still has a 1st rounder to forfeit, so that makes it pick 17.
    Correct, they lose their first two picks but are gifted pick 30. I think they may lose a potential F-S next year because of the two lost picks, can't remember who it was, may be the next of Anthony Daniher's sons and therefore eligible to us if he chooses that way rather than hoping in the general draft.

Pushing for Selection
    So if that is correct, next year we may not pick anyone as we could have 2 Academy players (Heeney & Watson) and 1 Father/Son (Daniher), but isn't Dunkley's son available next year too?
    Where's the remote?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by andy0414 View Post
    So if that is correct, next year we may not pick anyone as we could have 2 Academy players (Heeney & Watson) and 1 Father/Son (Daniher), but isn't Dunkley's son available next year too?
    Josh Dunkley has another year to go yet - ie he'll be eligible for the draft in 2015.

Pushing for Selection
    That is probably a good thing. Bit more time to win his father over.
    Where's the remote?

Have a look at Josh Dunkley's twitter page.

Josh Dunkley (jdunks6) on Twitter

Lot's of links to Swans on there. It looks like the relationship is OK. Also a good picture of Josh with Adan Goodes. Josh is not far off Adam's height - a big boy for a 16 year old.

Pushing for Selection
    So in 2015 we have Josh Dunkley - father/son and Callum Mills - academy. Looks like our drafting is pretty much done for the next couple of years, apart from the 'outside the square' late picks.
    Where's the remote?

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast