Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 19th Man!

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Very risky in my view. We become the 19th man and the umps will give a 50m free for having too many on the field.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

given rotations its more a 23rd man thing which doesn't have much of a soul to it. wouldn't mean much at homebush

Regular in the Side MightyBloods's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bodgie View Post
    given rotations its more a 23rd man thing which doesn't have much of a soul to it. wouldn't mean much at homebush
    If this is the case, maybe the Seattle 12th man becomes the 48th man given the American football rotation list!

Some people are missing the point. The inference is that the additional person is one more than the number of players on the field...the one extra representing the home crowd.

Quote Originally Posted by dimelb View Post
    Very risky in my view. We become the 19th man and the umps will give a 50m free for having too many on the field.
    Chillin' with the strange Quarks

Our 19th man would turn up after the first qtr and be busy having a beer and a chat with mates.

Good times.
    -

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post
    I think it's a bit naff to be honest, very American and quite contrived. Surely we don't need that to fire us up as fans, the old 12th, 14th, 16th or in our case 19th man is a term that is done to death really and is a bit of a cliche

Like the honouring and ex-player element though as it helps strengthen the Melbourne heritage link, perhaps an ex-player (not necessarily an ex South Melbourne player) to toss the coin and be presented to the crowd.

Just my opinion of course.....
    A coin toss? We already do that with anyone who has the cash can toss the coin, which has cheapened it.

I personally am bored to death of removing our legends from the trophy case every 10 years to give them 1 lap around a footy oval while nanna joyce, aunty may and little timeh clap for them to be wheeled right back in and never seen again for another 30 years. Contrived to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruck'n'Roll View Post
    Such a nonsensical date. It gives me the irrits whenever I hear 1874 mentioned. I understand that its a simple convenient date, and therefore attractive to some people, but its simply wrong!
    The club founded on that day wasn't called "Sydney" or even "South Melbourne" - it didn't play in red and white - it wasn't nicknamed "The Swans" - so how on earth can people claim continuity?
    Um, because it's been the same club throughout that time. The name, the location and even the colours are irrelevant.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12