Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accomodation Near the SCG

Regular in the Side PerthSwannie's Avatar

Accomodation Near the SCG

Me and my 15 year old son are thinking of traveling to Sydney from Perth next year to watch a Swans game. It'll be the Sydney vs. Geelong game on the 29th of May. Does anyone have any suggestions on which hotel we should stay in that is quite close to the SCG and what price it might be for 2 people. And any suggestions on places to visit for a couple of days. Plus, do you think we would need to book seats or could we just roll up and buy tickets on the day (Geelong vs. Sydney might be a blockbuster)?

Cheers guys
    Even Santa follows the Swannies.

Pre-purchase tickets is a no brainer, a lot of games sold out last season. You can get last minute tickets for low-drawing teams. But any blockbusters will very likely sell out.
    Sebel Surry Hills is a good location, close to city and 15/20 minute walk to SCG.
    Definitely go to the Domain while you're in town if the weather is nice. Do Bondi to Bronte walk, as long as it's not rainy it's still lovely.

Check out some of the group deal sites for Sydney CBD accommodation deals, the SCG is a decent walk from most of the CBD and there are a few transport options.
    The domain & Botanic Gardens are beautiful, you could wonder through them and end up at Circular Quay then ferry it over to Manly Beach for the afternoon. The Opera House will give you a lovely view, Taronga Zoo is fun, You could also do the Bronte-Bondi walk then catch a bus from Bondi to close to the SCG
    Definitely book tickets in advance.
    Chillin' with the strange Quarks

Thanks guys. I`ll look all those options up. I`m an Underbelly/Razor junky. Watched it a few times. Seems like Darlinghurst or Razorhurst is quite near the SCG. Any tours of that area available? Plus, any tours of the SCG?

One more question. Never having been to the SCG, what`s the best place to get seats around the ground for non-members for viewing?
    Last edited by PerthSwannie; 4th December 2013 at 09:14 PM.

I have stayed here on a few occasions and it is good - http://www.royalexhibition.com.au/ - and an easy 15 minute walk with great pubs and food options
    One vege patch at a time
    www.onegreenacre.com
    Looking for a beer? Look here,
    www.whereisthepub.org

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by PerthSwannie View Post
    One more question. Never having been to the SCG, what`s the best place to get seats around the ground for non-members for viewing?
    Entirely depends on your preferences - ie along a wing or from behind the goal view, elevation etc - and how much you want to pay, The priciest seats are those on a wing and up in the stands. Unlike many grounds where, as a non-member, it is impossible to buy a stand seat on a wing, it's done relatively easily at the SCG if you are a small group and get in early. Although those stands (O'Reilly on one side of the ground, Churchill or Brewongle on the other side) contain a lot of reserved members seats, there are spare seats that can be bought by casual visitors.

I've been sitting in the O'Reilly for 16 odd seasons now and wouldn't give up the seat for anything. The elevation is perfect - I am around the middle row of the stand - and the wing position gives a great view of the ground. The only slight issue with the O'Reilly is that it gets the mid-to late afternoon sun, depending on the time of the year, so if you come to a day game and it's sunny, make sure you bring a cap at least (and ideally sunscreen too). Others will swear by the Churchill or Brewongle.

OMG......... We were just having dinner and talking about this trip and my son being a Rabbitos supporter and me a Sharks fan my son said how cool would it be if we could see our teams play each other on the same trip as the Swans.... "I said you gotta be dreaming if that would be the case". Guess what. The young bloke pulled out his Iphone and yes, The Sharks are playing South Sydney on Monday 26th. So if I could impose more questions on you nice people. Any suggestions on say we arrive in Sydney Sunday or mid-Monday. Get down to Cronulla for the game. Hotel in Cronulla, then Tuesday back up to the CBD to do the sight seeing stuff for a couple of days then watch the mighty Swans demolish the Cats then back home. I`ve no idea what I`m doing here. I`m flying by the seat of my pants.

For Sydney accommodation you might want to check out hotels near Hyde Park. For example the Y Hotel Hyde Park in Wentworth Avenue (basic, shared bathrooms, relatively cheap) or the Hyde Park Inn in Elizabeth Street (private facilities, large rooms, good price for location). Or if your budget stretches to it, The Pullman in College Street (much more up-market).

I live close to all these and I always walk to the SCG for matches. It takes about 25 minutes. Alternatively there are stacks of buses from Liverpool Street (outside Museum Station) or from the first bus stop in Oxford Street which are going up Anzac Parade and which stop opposite the SCG. Staying in that area you would then be perfectly located for all sight seeing in the CBD area including Circular Quay and Darling Harbour, and with great public transport options if you want to go further afield. For example you could get bus 333 or 380 from Liverpool Street to go to Bondi Beach and do the Bondi to Bronte coast path walk which is just lovely.

Also there are all price range eating options in this area.

As others have said I recommend booking seats for the match. My seat is on the wing in the Brewongle directly opposite the video screen. I think that is a perfect spot for seeing all the action and the replays. I get to boo the umpires twice, once in real time and once on the replay!

The other big advantage of staying near Hyde Park is that there is a direct train service to/from the airport from Museum. It costs about $12.50. which is expensive but it only takes about 12 minutes which sure beats a taxi. You do have to carry your bags up steps though as there is not a lift or escalators out of the station.

Also if you go to Cronulla first you could also consider getting the Cronulla to Bondi Junction train service and getting out at either Central or Martin Place stations to get to a hotel near Hyde Park (and then either walking or catching a train from Central to Museum or a bus along Elizabeth Street).

Re Cronulla - Rydges Cronulla is a very nice hotel right on the beach front but is pricey. A more affordable option might be the Cronulla Motor Inn (I've never stayed there) which is not far from Shark Park. Both have websites so you could check them out. And always worth looking at the Tripadvisor website re accommodation.

The Adina on Crown Street in Surry Hills is a great place to stay. 5-10 minute walk to the SCG and one of the nicest spots in Sydney.

Thanks for all your help guys and gals. Now I can start planning.................

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast