Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Membership numbers

Gee....when I started reading this I looked up to see if the sky was falling. These are great numbers for this time of year.

Some people need to get a grip on reality.
    Does God believe in Atheists?

Blog Entries

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    And maybe a new club record in sight?
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Quote Originally Posted by bloodsbigot View Post
    What's with the 'pathetic' talk? I hope that's sarcasm.

That is a strong membership figure for the swans given it isn't even 2014 yet or that NSW isn't really into memberships as much as the AFL states.

If the swans reach 40,000 and manage to maintain the number I will be over the moon.

With Buddy's inclusion and the media hype he will generate towards the lead-up to the start of the season, I would say we will achieve that figure.

Not sure why you're comparing us to Port Adelaide. When it comes to something like attendances we've absolutely creamed them since their inception.
    Yep got to agree, very strange that anybody would think those numbers are disappointing or pathetic.
    I imagine most NRL club management would be licking their lips to have membership figures like that at round one of the season let alone three months out!

I'll wait until Round 1 before I judge our membership numbers but with the new SCG and Buddy effect I would be very very surprised if we do not have a record membership for 2014 which is exactly what we need if we wish to continue growing as a club.

Agree with the point that comparisons to other clubs are crazy as I imagine Swans members tend to renew or join much later, if we are up on the same time as last year by 16% as someone posted then I will take that as success

According to the swans on Twitter, we've just passed 26000.
    Anyone know how that compares with same time last year ?

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by Livid_Swan View Post
    According to the swans on Twitter, we've just passed 26000.
    Anyone know how that compares with same time last year ?
    According to the Bigfooty thread from last year which tracks these things by social media posts, we were around 25k in early Feb.

Just had a look at some of the other clubs home pages (Hawks, Pier, Giants, Suns, etc) and their membership number is there for all to see without having to look for it. Why don't we have the same thing?

I hope Jenny is reading this. Maybe she can answer this question
    Last edited by YvonneH; 4th February 2014 at 08:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    Just had a look at some of the other clubs home pages (Hawks, Pier, Giants, Suns, etc) and their membership number is there for all to see without having to look for it. Why don't we have the same thing?

I hope Jenny is reading this. Maybe she can answer this question
    It was on the membership page a year or two ago, but was posted later/around now-ish. Sydney generally has third or fourth lowest membership numbers.

Veterans List
    Just had a look at the GWS site, they boldly have their current membership number displayed, think it was 6755 or 6577 or ..... well it was 6000 and something.

Not sure how they will sell out round 1, obviously hoping for a big Swans turnout to cheer, cheer the 15 goals shared between Tippett and Franklin!

We'll break last years record I'm sure.

Keeping the membership numbers up will be another story. We generally have a significant drop-off after we have a good period of success then finish a little lower on the ladder (Sad but true). Colless said in an article last year that this is what they'll be focusing on; to get more permanent members. Hope they can do it, because that's the only thing from preventing us from having a claim at being one of the power clubs.

Although, I would actually argue that we are ALREADY one of the bigger clubs now minus the actual membership numbers... as we tend to attract extremely large crowds for the Sydney market (Compared to that of NRL and A-League matches) and significant sponsorship. We have the supporters (72,000 people versus Brisbane at ANZ in 2003 ring a bell?)... we just need them to become members. Also, we are the sole reason the TV rights are so high in the first place. I don't care what wanker opposition supporters say about us. Without the swans... most of their clubs would have ceased to exist a long time ago.

I actually enjoy the fact that NRL clubs and A-League clubs seem to have growing memberships in Sydney. If memberships become part of the culture in Sydney, as it is in Melbourne, we will see the swans membership rise significantly. I would take a guess that since we already have the highest membership of any club of any code in Sydney (That is impressive in itself), that we have the potential to be larger than Collingwood given Sydney's size and lack of AFL clubs. Not to mention that we have supporters in both of Australia's largest cities.

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post
    Just had a look at the GWS site, they boldly have their current membership number displayed, think it was 6755 or 6577 or ..... well it was 6000 and something.

Not sure how they will sell out round 1, obviously hoping for a big Swans turnout to cheer, cheer the 15 goals shared between Tippett and Franklin!
    A portion of those members would be Swans members that bought a 3 game membership to ensure entry to round 1, there would also be a portion of random NSW AFL supporters with no tie to a particular team that just want to see games cheaply (I know a few family groups doing this)
    The true membership numbers for gw$ will be shown when we see how many turn up to actual games

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by 707 View Post

A portion of those members would be Swans members that bought a 3 game membership to ensure entry to round 1, there would also be a portion of random NSW AFL supporters with no tie to a particular team that just want to see games cheaply (I know a few family groups doing this)
    The true membership numbers for gw$ will be shown when we see how many turn up to actual games
    Chillin' with the strange Quarks

Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast