Thread: 2014 NEAFL Draw released

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar

2014 NEAFL Draw released

http://neafl.com.au/uploads/media/NE...14_Fixture.pdf

Summary:
    • 8 home games and 10 away games. Exactly the same as in 2013.
    • 6 games will be curtain raisers to a Swans home game, and one will be a curtain raiser to a Swans away game (GC). The seniors home games that miss out on a reserves curtain raiser are R2 Collingwood @ SCG, R11 Geelong @ SCG, R13 Port @ SCG, R17 Carlton @ SCG and the final round fixture against Richmond which will be the first week of NEAFL finals. In 2013 7 games were curtain raisers to a Swans home game.
    • 10 games against AFL Reserves sides (4 vs UWS, 3 each vs Suns and Lions), 8 games against non AFL Reserves sides. Exactly the same as in 2013. The demise of Tuggeranong has been filled in with a first visit by the NT Thunder to Sydney, but sadly it's been scheduled for Blacktown instead of the SCG as one of the non-curtain raiser home games.
    • Besides the NT Thunder and the AFL Reserves sides, who we've played previously, we play none of the Queensland based NEAFL sides. So in reality while there is now one NEAFL ladder, there is still a pseudo-conference system happening with none of the AFL Reserves sides playing a non AFL Reserves side not located in the same state (yes I know the ACT is not a state for all you pedants out there) as them. There is still cross-state battles between the non AFL Reserves sides.
    • SCG is hosting 5 games, Blacktown has 2 and one game each at ANZ Stadium, Bruce Purser Reserve, Cooparoo, Giants Stadium, Harrup Park, Kippax Oval, Manuka Oval, Metricon Stadium, North Dalton Park, TIO Stadium and one To Be Confirmed.
    • 2 rep games for the NEAFL team, one against the WAFL and one against the TSL (Tassie). Last year, the NEAFL Northern representative team were allowed to select Lions and Suns players who were on the rookie list, I wonder if this rule will be translated to the now combined rep outfit.
    • 6 team, 3 week finals series. That's 2 less weeks than the finals series in 2013 and most importantly gets rid of the utterly superfluous and irrelevant cross-conference grand final where both sides didn't seem to care that much about it.
      • Week 1 - 3v6, 4v5, 1 and 2 byes
      • Week 2 - 1v(winner of 4v5), 2v(winner of 3v6)
      • Week 3 - Grand Final

RoundH/ADateTimeTeamVenueNotes
    R1AwaySat 29 Mar1.30pmBrisbane Lions ReservesCoorparoo(Means no curtain raiser for R2 Collingwood)
    R2AwaySun 6 Apr9.30amUWS GiantsGiants Stadium(Seniors play Crows in Adelaide day before)
    R3HomeSun 13 Apr10.00amQueanbeyanSCG(Curtain raiser to North Melbourne game)
    R4HomeSat 19 Apr1.00pmGold Coast Suns ReservesSCG(Curtain raiser to Freo game)
    R5AwayFri 25 Apr2.15pmBrisbane Lions ReservesHarrup Park(Google says that is in Mackay. Seniors play Demons in Melbourne day after)
    R6N/AN/AN/ABYEN/A(Seniors play Brisbane@Gabba)
    R7HomeFri 9 May4.10pmUWS GiantsANZ Stadium(Curtain raiser to Hawthorn game)
    R8AwaySat 17 May12.00pmEastlakeManuka(Seniors play Bombers in Melbourne day before)
    R9N/AN/AN/ABYEN/A(Seniors BYE)
    R10HomeSat 31 May2.00pmNT ThunderBlacktown(Seniors play Cats@SCG 2 days before)
    R11AwaySun 8 Jun11.30amGold Coast Suns ReservesMetricon(Curtain raiser to Gold Coast away game)
    R12AwaySat 14 Jun10.00amSydney UniTBC(Seniors play Port@SCG the same day. Guessing a FOXTEL cup curtain raiser here.)
    N/AN/AN/AN/ABYEN/ACompetition wide BYE
    R13HomeSat 28 Jun4.00pmUWS GiantsSCG(Curtain raiser to GWS game)
    R14AwaySun 6 Jul12.00pmAinslieNorth Dalton Park(Google says that is in Wollongong. Seniors play Eagles in Perth the same day)
    R15AwaySat 12 Jul12.00pmBelconnenKippax(Seniors play the Blues@SCG the same day)
    R16N/AN/AN/ABYEN/A(Seniors BYE)
    R17AwaySat 26 Jul7.00pmNT ThunderTIO(Seniors play Hawks in Melbourne the same day)
    R18HomeFri 1 Aug4.10pmBrisbane Lions ReservesSCG(Curtain raiser to Bombers game)
    R19HomeSat 9 Aug12.00pmGold Coast Suns ReservesBlacktown(Seniors play Port in Adelaide the same day)
    R20HomeSat 16 Aug10.00amUWS GiantsSCG(Curtain raiser to Saints game)
    R21AwaySun 24 Aug12.00pmHills EaglesBruce Purser Reserve(Seniors play Bulldogs in Melbourne the same day)
    Last edited by ugg; 7th December 2013 at 06:02 PM.

As usual, brilliant work ugg.

Worthy of a sticky as a quick reference...
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Thanks for that Ugg....I noticed that the NEAFL 2013 team had no Swans Senior players on it....just Robinson, Biggs and Lloyd. I didn't check the GWS players selected. Do you know if senior players (who played enough games) were eligible for that team?

And so would that team named this year be the rep team to play those 2 games in 2014? Or will it be a combined Eastern and Northern NEAFL team

Actually answering some of my own questions....Darley (GWS) and Karnezis (Lions) are/were fully listed players...
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    sharp that's the NEAFL (Eastern) Team of the Year which isn't the same as the rep team that I was referring to. The rep team is chosen during the middle of the year to play another league (the Tasmanian pre side in 2013) and definitely did not have any Swans or Giants on it. The fact that our 3 players named in the NEAFL (Eastern) Team of the Year were all on our rookie list is just pure co-incidence. Senior listed players have been named in previous NEAFL (Eastern) Teams of the Year, such as Jarred Moore, Sam Reid, Patrick Veszpremi, Trent Dennis-Lane, Jesse White and Mitch Morton (who will probably go down in history as the only player to win an AFL premiership medal and a NEAFL Team of the Year listing in the same season).

The draw lists 2 separate rep games, one against the WAFL and one against the Tassie State league. Two rep games in one season is very unusual and I can only speculate that those games were agreed upon before the AFL decided to merge the NEAFL conferences and so not to leave one of those two leagues in the lurch without a rep game, both games have been given the go ahead.

Senior Player
    Disappointing that Ainslie home game is in Wollongong instead of almost across the road from me.

Blog Entries
    Reserves ical Fixture updated -> ICAL Fixtures for @sydneyswans games