Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Swans Free Agents At The End Of 2014

Swans Free Agents At The End Of 2014

SYDNEY SWANS
    Adam Goodes, Nick Malceski, Ryan O'Keefe, Ted Richards, Lewis Roberts-Thomson, Nick Smith
    AFL.com.au says: The Swans look well placed to continue their record of not losing a player to free agency. Four of the Swans' five free agents are premiership stalwarts who bleed red and white. Victorian Nick Smith will appeal to rival clubs in the market for a hard-nosed small defender.
    No big concerns there except Nick Smith
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

If LRT or Ted get an offer on a year or two over what we're offering they could bounce.

Smith won't go to play defender elsewhere. Midfield or bust.
    -

we had the opportunity to trade varcoe for smithy and it didnt happen this year
    i think smithy will stay
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by CJK View Post
    If LRT or Ted get an offer on a year or two over what we're offering they could bounce.

Smith won't go to play defender elsewhere. Midfield or bust.
    I suspect that with LRT the club might do what they did with Jude and take it a year at a time. I think Ted may get offered another two seasons.
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Senior Player
    Blog Entries
    Can't see Smith, a potential future captain, leaving, I can however see plenty of rumours about him moving back to Victoria and the ensuing meltdowns

That's pretty impressive list management though, to get all of our key players signed up, especially given other clubs will be sniffing around next trade period to see which of our players they might be able to throw money at now we have Buddy's salary.

Yeah, I see Smith as the only player who would draw significant interest.

Richard would generate some interest, but I think he's a Swan for the rest of his career
    Same with Goodes, Malcheski, LRT, and O'Keefe (we all know O'Keefe won't get traded lol)
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

To be honest we really lost Mumford and Lamb to free agency. That's a good reason for getting rid of the PSD, I reckon - it means the team with the number one pick can make every uncontracted player into an unrestricted free agent.
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    To be honest we really lost Mumford and Lamb to free agency. That's a good reason for getting rid of the PSD, I reckon - it means the team with the number one pick can make every uncontracted player into an unrestricted free agent.
    And the rumour is that they might be going after Natanui next year, given he is out of contract, but not a free agent. So they could just get him by not doing a deal with WCE, given that they do finish last on the ladder. They've got that big war chest of cash they saved by not getting Buddy. I can see NicNat getting something like 10 mil for 6 years, eclipsing the Franklin deal.

Quote Originally Posted by sharp9 View Post
    But that has always been the case hasn't it? It's how we got Roosy as well as Plugget in the 90s. I do agree though that free agency makes the PSD rather redundant, just have the ND for all players that want to be on a club's primary list with the RD for the leftovers and project players.

Like what I see re uncontracted players. To be honest I reckon only Ted and Smithy could be there in 2015. Part of it may well be forced as Goodesy, LRT and ROK would be taking up large wads of our cap. I think the Buddy deal goes into overdrive in 2016 so if we want to tie up key players then frontloading some deals in 2015 with funds freed up by 2014 retirements will be essential.

I can't see us being active in the Free Agency market until Tippett's salary is off the books, until then it will all be about drafting and development I believe.
    Last edited by Mug Punter; 12th December 2013 at 10:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    And the rumour is that they might be going after Natanui next year, given he is out of contract, but not a free agent. So they could just get him by not doing a deal with WCE, given that they do finish last on the ladder. They've got that big war chest of cash they saved by not getting Buddy. I can see NicNat getting something like 10 mil for 6 years, eclipsing the Franklin deal.
    A lot will depend on how GWS go this year. You would think they'll frontload a lot of re-signings in 2014 with the Buddy cash saved and have more than enough of a war chest to make a big signing in 2015

Question is, why would someone top line go there? They are well off the pace development wise and are a joke of a club (no fans, naff colours and name, it all reeks of a manufactured franchise). I actually think that the absolute stars will usually be well enough paid to stay at a better club. It was quite telling re Buddy that I don't think he ever had any intention to play for GWS. Likewise Nic Nat would be able to negotiate a trade to whichever club he likes provided the Weagles buy his GWS PSD bluff.

I think GWS have this season to get things right, if they do not then they will be so irrelevant by 2015 that a move to Canberra will be a mere formality. I think they will do a little better (hard to do worse) but I still reckon they will struggle to win more than 4 games

Regular in the Side
    In fact the rule says"A player has served eight or more seasons of AFL football at one club, is one of the top 25 per cent highest-paid players at his club, and is now out of contract for the first time since reaching eight seasons of service. " for restricted Free Agents. A big part of our best 22 have played 8 or more seasons for us and they won't be qualified for Free Agents yet.

Te problem with 'Free Agent' is that most of the players who get to 10 years have very few left. 'Restricted Free Agent' is another thing altogether, at least two years possibly four. GWS have recruited well this year with Mummy, Shaw, Hunt and Lamb. One delisted 'Restricted Free Agent', one delisted 'Free Agent' and two out of contract younger players.

I don't think we will lose Smithy, if the club were contemplating swapping him for Varcoe, somebody was having a psychotic moment. Smithy is far more valuable than Travis Varcoe, as good as Varcoe is, Smithy beats all the small forwards and resting mids in the game. His games on Rioli, Betts and Stevie Johnson over a period of years attest to his value.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast