Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hun names Swan team for 2014

Hun names Swan team for 2014

I needed a topic change, otherwise we will be arguing about whether the Swans and Santa changed colour at the same time otherwise, wish I'd found it earlier:

No Cookies | Herald Sun

One of the comments says:
    You're only as strong as your Interchange......not that strong to me !!

While I think you probably have to look at at least the next 5, here is the interchange Edmund named:
    INTERCHANGE: Alex Johnson (21, 45 games), Gary Rohan (22, 27 games), Luke Parker (21, 57 games), Tom Mitchell (20, 14 games)

I'd take that.

They are also predicting another terrible injury for Rohan: "Gary Rohan is set to explode in 2014".
    Last edited by undy; 23rd December 2013 at 03:55 PM.
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

Quote Originally Posted by undy View Post
    One of the comments says:
    You're only as strong as your Interchange......not that strong to me !!
    Never read the comments
    -

No Rampe or Bird, but there were always going to be omissions.

Goodsy will play (hopefully) 15+ games, LRT the same (or less).

AJ will need a few matches to be fit as will Reese Shaw before selection.

ROK will play 25 (well, we will be playing in the grandfinal won't we!!)

Fitness of certain players will allow a "Horses for courses" selection of the swans team next year.

A kid or 2 will be getting a few games

Mike Pyke will need to have a back up at some stage from the new recruits / or existing ruck stocks.

Suggest we will have a large rotation of players from week to week. Still have a core of 25 - 28 fit players...

Selections to suit opposition team match ups for the forst 22 rounds and fight it out for a position at finals time.

Rod_

I just cant see BJ staying in ressies long at all !

nor Rampe.........Dane is just ready to continue another 8 seasons or so in Snrs in my humble opinion - whether it be HBF or BP or midfield in the future
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by undy View Post
    They are also predicting another terrible injury for Rohan: "Gary Rohan is set to explode in 2014".

hehe dad jokes..love em!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod_ View Post
    ROK will play 25 (well, we will be playing in the grandfinal won't we!!)
    He played 25 this year
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

I don't see Rhyce Shaw in our best 22 anymore. There are players who have far superior delivery to him. He also makes basic defensive errors like two tackling a player and leaving his man free. If he is to play a role this year it would be as a crumbing forward not in the defence. I see Rampe and Biggs as a far better options in the backline and when AJ returns he will force Biggs out of contention. The interesting thing for me is going to be match ups on opposition teams. We now have so many options and I think the coaching staff will feel very comfortable in using them. We could see the debut of Towers, Membrey, Swampy and a few others as well as BJ, X, Biggs and Toby or TD, Laidler and maybe even Lloyd, Perris, Naismith & Robinson getting a run. I think to develop a strong footy club you have to have confidence in every player on the list to come in and do a job. This I think will happen this year as the experience of the younger players last year was pretty well all good and they will have another preseason under their belts.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I don't see Rhyce Shaw in our best 22 anymore. There are players who have far superior delivery to him. He also makes basic defensive errors like two tackling a player and leaving his man free. If he is to play a role this year it would be as a crumbing forward not in the defence. I see Rampe and Biggs as a far better options in the backline and when AJ returns he will force Biggs out of contention.
    Sorry, but not sure how you can sensibly compare the current ability of Shaw and Biggs. And while Rampe had an encouraging first season, the range of attributes he brings to the defence are - at the moment - very different to those Shaw brings.

Shaw is a player that the team needs to find a permanent replacement for fairly soon. And maybe a temporary replacement needs to continue for the first half of the season, given Shaw's knee operation and the impact that might have on his preparation. But I can comfortably say that there is no-one in the squad at the moment that can mix his pace, defensive experience, defensively ability, and willingness to take the game on. It's still his spot to lose, once he's fit again.

Shaw 2012 agree
    Shaw 2014 not sure
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

I tend to agree with the Shaw comments.
    Hope he proved them wrong.
    Rampe had an excellent season - he walks into any starting team.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

I saw that nuff nuff comment the other day and managed to resist replying....they never seem to publish my comments anyway (I'm KiwiSwan on the HUN I think).

Anyway I would say that that bench would comfortably be the best in the whole league! Dead set most teams have got players you have genuinely never heard of on their bench.

Swans - Alex Johnson, Luke Parker, Gary Rohan, Tom Mitchell (plus Craig Bird and Dane Rampe)....the problem is that that is where the experience ends....B. Jack, Cunningham, Biggs.....and that's it at 27 players - gulp.

Hawks - Ryan Schoenmakers, Liam Shiels, Brendan Whitecross, Brad Sewell...not bad but Swans win that head to head 3-1.

Cats - Mark Blicavs, Josh Caddy, Josh Cowan, Jordan Murdoch....puhleeeease!

Pies - Brent Macaffer, Jarryd Blair, Tyson Goldsack, Josh Thomas.....yeah right!

North - Ryan Bastinac, Sam Gibson, Sam Wright, Luke McDonald.... a modicum of potential but that's it

Essendon - Cale Hooker, Ben Howlett, Tayte Pears, Heath Hocking...isn't Ben Howlett the player who couldn't get a game for Essendon so he went to the Tigers where he couldn't get a game?

St. Kilda - Billy Longer, Sam Gilbert, Nathan Wright, Jimmy Webster....oh, dear :-(

Carlton, Richmond, Freo not up that I can see.
    "I'll acknowledge there are more talented teams in the competition but I won't acknowledge that there is a better team in the competition" Paul Roos March 2005

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast