Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swans Media Department off season output

Video content is also down this year.

It seems in 2012 they had a massive budget to work with.

Yep agree and i don't think that is harsh. People making decisions about membership at this time of year. New versus existing. Renew versus not renew. People with limited funds on the periphery, or perhaps limited engagement will buy or not buy depending on engagement. I would have thought the media dept. Would be pretty motivated to keep engagement level high so that they have a higher base to work from when the preseason starts. As for the two weeks off, that's their choice. Plenty of business don't completely shut down.
    He had observed that people who did lie were, on the whole, more resourceful and ambitious and successful than people who did not lie.

Regular in the Side
    I'm sure the Media Department knows what it is doing. I expect that they have taken the lead from RWO. Something to the effect of why waste good material when most of the hardcore fans aren't focussed on AFL this time of year, and those that are are scrounging for material to inform their posts.

Senior Player
    Well, what do you know - the club is back from leave and photos start appearing on social media again.

I think the preseason training pics are down this year. We were getting one sometimes two albums every week last year plus video. the other thing is that media stories and player profiles are down too. They normally put out player profiles and player interviews, even rehashed, to attract new members. Articles about how the newbies are coming along are missing too. If you go to the hawks site for instance they have a training wind up after almost every session with pics and player reports.

I have been a bit sceptical about the media output for quite a while. The Swans are in a League town so the output has got to be very obvious and often to even get noticed. If you look at the papers there is plenty of NRL there but nothing about the Swans. I realise that there has just been a three week break over Xmas but even before the promotion was pretty poor. As a person who has worked in the media I believe the output of the Media Dept at the Swans is not that good. They are often way behind the AFL site and do not give half the content of most other clubs. In the Sydney environment you have to be better than that or there is a chance of being seen as irrelevant or forgotten.

Opti-pessi-misti
    Bring back Jenny! Do we have a Media Department? Jeffers' photos were the highlight of the preseason reporting for me so far. I decided to have a look at the sites of a couple of other teams when I had a bit of time to waste and was entertained (!) by Matty Richardson's run down of his 5 worst Christmas presents on Richmond's. And yes, the Hawks really make an effort to engage their fans online.

A few preseasons back the Swans' site was great - anyone remember Jets' stories about going hunting with his uncles? Here's hoping we at least get a few training pics this week.

Opti-pessi-misti
    Oops! I should have read beyond the first thread before posting the above. Good to see some training pics - at least - from today.

Veterans List
    Bit harsh on the staff. It is that time of the year and they probably needed a couple of days off like the rest of the world. Bugger all on AFL on SEN at the moment and the HS managed to piece together a story on Toovey to give the pies supporters a bit to read over the off season as a filler in the sports pages.

SEN aren't the official outlet of the Swans though. I'm not being a birch, but I do think the media could be better

Senior Player
    I agree we seem to have gone backwards, possibly budget cuts as hinted.

The Hawks lead the way I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by magic.merkin View Post
    I agree we seem to have gone backwards, possibly budget cuts as hinted.

The Hawks lead the way I reckon.
    They just won the flag. Our site was busier last offseason after we won the flag.

Plus Hawthorn have t wice as many members.

It's Xmas time, everything slows down. Now players are back at training it will pick up.

FWIW, I thought the interview with new chairman Andrew Pridham was interesting. Sure, not quite as exciting as a Jetta goal or the last quarter of the 2012 GF, but I learnt some things.
    SwansTV: Meet Andrew Pridham - sydneyswans.com.au

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12