Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Observations from a 1996 game

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by YvonneH View Post
    - I should know the answer to this but is Stefan Carey any relation to Wayne?
    Stefan came from FAR better stock. He also provided far more entertainment value on the field, though how much he intended was debatable.

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    I agree, was a brilliant game to be at and rub it into the Blues fans who thought they were unbeatable at home.
    It was certainly the Kelly v Kouta show, both were brilliant and I eagerly awaited the Brownlow votes a few months later.
    1 vote Kouta
    2 votes Kell
    3 votes Fraser Brown
    WTF???? Rarely surprised at the umps votes, but gee that was a strange one....
    Well there you go, just assumed Kelly had got the 3 and Kouta 2.

I can remember Brown kicking a couple of nice (and crucial at the time) goals but they were at a different game.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Quote Originally Posted by Plugger46 View Post
    R11 1996 at Princes Park. Sensational day at the footy.

Roos' 300th and somehow didn't poll a Brownlow vote. Kelly, Luff, Maxfield and Kickett all great. Lockett with 9 after half time and 10 for the day.
    and I didn't mention Kell......shame on me. Ta for that.
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Veterans List
    Well there you go, just assumed Kelly had got the 3 and Kouta 2.

I can remember Brown kicking a couple of nice (and crucial at the time) goals but they were at a different game.
    Didn't Dale Lewis play a pretty good game also?

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Didn't Dale Lewis play a pretty good game also?
    A big play to smother the ball late in the game which led to the clincher but can't remember how he went overall.
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

I remember Lewis was real good in the afore mentioned Norf game. He and Luffy ran around without opponents all day and had a picnic. He may have had a big day against Carlton, but admit to only really remembering Kell dominating.

Back to the Norf game, I'm pretty sure as well as Roos' 300th, it was Maxfield's 100th...

Recovering from my very own arthroscope, so I get to watch the game again.

Blakey on the ground Horse assistant coach for norf,
    Yes it was Stuey's 1ooth.
    Lewis has not done much yet (up tp 3rd quarter)
    Forgotten how big Dyson was (Barrel)
    So admire the sheer guts of Wade Chapman
    Luffy was having a Big Day Out
    Sheeze Plugger was quick
    Roosy could read play in advance
    The shorts were tight and the jumpers loose
    Umpiring just not up to todays standard, they let some unconscionable decisions slip by. Head highs and in the back and pushes left and right
    Say what you will (and I do) but Heuskis could play, so could Greg Stafford
    Brad Seymour was a very very good looking young man
    Mr Kelly is a demon
    Centre of the ground would be comfortable for todays SCG wicket
    The call was good. Just called the game, some expert stuff, but called th game like they actually were enjoying it.

Its a totally different game in some ways now. Same same but different. Must admit I like today's version of the Swans
    If you've never jumped from one couch to the other to save yourself from lava then you didn't have a childhood

Was at that game. Missed the Carlton game. Ever time I think of Wade, always think, Why couldn't that have been Garlick

Watched a bit more of the game. (Don't complain about HD from Channel seven, its infinitely better than the old VHS tape - blurr blurr blurr)

Lewis came good - didn't he have an odd build!
    Garlick and his magic mullet - soooo much black hair
    MickeyO - now there is a lesson young fellas (and old fans). Very few younguns are Stars to start with, they grow into their ability. Talented yes, undoubtedly, but having footy nouse comes with experience.
    Shagga - well he was a damned fine player, even a this stage, was playing much better than Micky, but his ability never reached the heights of Mickeys. Its all about timing.
    Anthony Rocca - no sign of his future to come.

Funny moment to me was when it was queried why one of the players went to the bench. Was it a rest? Surely not. Being on the bench was not a good sign. 18 players, and the bench was for the much lesser lights. Thank heavens Roosy decided to make it a 22 man team......

Simon Arnott was not getting more than five minutes on the ground.
    Leo Barry showed his potential, but barely on the ground at all. Did his head wobble I was decapitated thing even then. Could kick straight.

Stuey was a great player, no wonder they got him from Richmond.

There was barely a hug or acknowledgement or high five or touch to each other. Glad that has changed.

Sandy Dennis was wondering whether the Swans would not just make the top end, but perhaps the Grand Final. Good judge I would say.

I am sure one of the trainers is still running out each game.

I wish we knew more about head clashes and were able to save Chappy from retirement/delisting (not sure which). Such a good player. No muscle definition (in fact I marked that all round, not much in the relms of muscle definition anywhere!). they seemed to run as much as now, but went down like bunches of nine pins all over the place.

LESSON: Someone take vision of how Derrick Kickett played and show it to the boys. He didn't use his hands so much as his butt. He could hold off his man and take a mark like a gem, using his butt to hold, leaving his arms and hands free to take the catch. Brilliant stuff.
    Last edited by Primmy; 11th January 2014 at 08:25 AM.

Senior Player
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    My recollections of that game are more of a general team domination than any specific player. But he was so outstanding in a loss to the Eagles a few weeks earlier at the WACA that Malthouse (who was coaching the Eagles then) suggested Kelly was deserving of all six Brownlow votes. (From memory he did get two or three.)

I also remember Kelly being outstanding in a rip-roaring game against Carlton (like the NM game, at Princes Oval) in which the Swans just snuck over the line. I think that might have been later on in 1996, but it could have been in one of the following two seasons.

Edit: I've just looked up our results for 1996, and I think the Carlton game I am recalling was that year, judging by the results. It was just a couple of weeks after the North Melbourne game at the same venue, and the week before the sell-out game at the SCG, billed as a shoot-out between GA senior and Plugger.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/t...wans?year=1996
    Many amazing games during 96 but these were definitely three of them. I could be wrong but i seem to recall that was the first time we had beaten Carlton at Princes Park in 25 years.

I remember the North game as well - a real thumping - but why would they have been playing at Princes Park I wonder?
    It's very hard to live in a studio apartment in San Jose with a man who's learning to play violin. That's what she told the police when she handed them the empty revolver.
    The Scarlatti Tilt - Richard Brautigan

Regular in the Side
    R11 1996 at Princes Park. Sensational day at the footy.

Roos' 300th and somehow didn't poll a Brownlow vote. Kelly, Luff, Maxfield and Kickett all great. Lockett with 9 after half time and 10 for the day.
    THE game that converted me, along with the next week SCG game v. Geelong in front of 44,000.

Quote Originally Posted by top40 View Post
    THE game that converted me, along with the next week SCG game v. Geelong in front of 44,000.
    The game that convinced me to become a member of this great club was in R09 1996 after watching Swanies defeating Brisbane Bears.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12