Thread: Craig Bolton appointed GM of NSWAFL

Craig Bolton appointed GM of NSWAFL

Do these muppets ever learn.

Another job for the boys for an AFL old boy whose only experience in the real world is as a "consultant".

At least he isn't a Victorian, that has to be a step forward.
    Also being a former Swan maybe the ridiculous bias towards GWS will finally end.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post

Another job for the boys for an AFL old boy whose only experience in the real world is as a "consultant".
    He does have a degree in Comms. it has been a fast rise to the GM position, but who knows, he may have the talent. Give him a chance I say.

On another note, it looks like the Eagles have cleared some decent interstate talent.

Almost Football Legend
    Agree with Offal. He has qualifications, and he's been living in Sydney for over 10 years so he would have some knowledge of the lie of the land up here.
    He's only just starting now, too early to be negative about the appointment. He might be good.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

I also agree. He has the right to be judged on his performance, not pre judged simply because he played AFL football and negative people want to take a free pot shot at him.

Quote Originally Posted by Mug Punter View Post

Mug Punter, you've done it again.

........Gawd.......

There would be literally hundreds of senior execs with better credentials than Craig Bolton in doing this job.

How are these jobs filled? Was the job advertised?

I have no doubt that if this job was advertised with a market based salary and if he applied without reference to his AFL career that he would not be a chance of even getting an interview. Is playing AFL really that much of an advantage to running a business in what is its supposed major growth market?

I liked him as a player but this totally encapsulates the nepotism and boys' club that permeates the AFL.

MP you seem to be a glass half empty on this appointment as you do with most things, I assume you must know Craig Bolton to understand he is not qualified for the Job.

You know he is?

The job was advertised. No idea of what the salary is but it is usually below what the rest of the market pays for similar GM roles. I do think that playing the game is an advantage - but I don't think you necessarily have to play at AFL standard (although it does open more doors when you are meeting with various stakeholders). I think we should give Craig a chance, particularly given his Eastlake, Swans & study background.

Thinking ahead, if the next GM is T. Kennelly then we will know that the prerequisite for this role is that you need to play between 197 & 199 AFL games.