Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread: Franklin -The Movie

GWS should focus on winning football games and playing an exciting brand of footy. That's the best marketing tool. They have some of the best young players in the land, and a few decent established players as well. They should be able to do a lot better on the field this year.

It was mad for GWS management to bag our COLA, but not theirs. Once they are winning, they will be in the same position. If they argue that a successful team should lose the COLA then they are backing losing it for themselves in the future.

There are some things GWS and the Swans should have put up a united front on. The COLA was one of those. The AFL really need to make Sydney a financial success. Dimetriou's legacy will rest on that given how much money the AFL has put into it. You would think that the 2 Sydney teams working together on this would secure the COLA at least until GSW are established.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    A bridge too far?

I wonder how accurate this part is:

From what Ireland said last year, the contract is similar to the one Alistair Lynch was on at Brisbane, and he was being paid a lot less towards the end of his career.
    I believe the period of the Lynch contract (1991-2001?) coincided with a huge rise in TV revenues so Lynch's package declined as a proportion of total player payments and he actually had to get a payrise in the last couple of years.

That GWS comments are a predictable 'dog bites man' news story. 'GWS chairman loves Swans' Buddy deal' -- that's a story.

Ludwig, very astute comments, I totally agree with you.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    GWS should focus on winning football games and playing an exciting brand of footy. That's the best marketing tool. They have some of the best young players in the land, and a few decent established players as well. They should be able to do a lot better on the field this year.

It was mad for GWS management to bag our COLA, but not theirs. Once they are winning, they will be in the same position. If they argue that a successful team should lose the COLA then they are backing losing it for themselves in the future.

There are some things GWS and the Swans should have put up a united front on. The COLA was one of those. The AFL really need to make Sydney a financial success. Dimetriou's legacy will rest on that given how much money the AFL has put into it. You would think that the 2 Sydney teams working together on this would secure the COLA at least until GSW are established.
    Agree whole heartedly.

What a twerp.

No doubt his views on what the Swans should not be doing, and what they should not be getting...Will come back to bite GWS.
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect... MT

Quote Originally Posted by stellation View Post
    I actually don't think his comments are that bad. Just from that article it read to me that he's suggesting it was a bad mood because it damaged the image of NSW AFL clubs within AFL ranks, so completely separate to whether it's a good move or not for promoting the game in NSW.

I'm sure many Australian Rules fanatics may very well do the same if they were given soccer tickets. There's a magic marketing figure that dictates the number of free tickets given out to events, it's a lot lower than you might think- whilst you'd always love to get a full turn up I'd be surprised if GWS target is much more than a 25% turn up rate.
    My cousin is a swans fan.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Tunnel View Post
    To think some Swans supporters also bought GWS memberships in that first year............some have dual m'ships.

Disgrace!
    Make no mistake! They were our enemy then & will continue to be as long as they are in the comp & in the same state as us.

We shafted their marketing plans of the next 5 years big time when we got Buddy!

We will also attack their 'fringe' players that aren't able to crack it into their team due to an embarrassment of talent handed to them.

They know very wel that they are going to lose some serious talent in the coming years when the Vic clubs really start bringing the Vic players home.
    Taylor Adams is one such example at Collingwood.
    We didnt get buddy, he came to us.

this pisses GWS the most as they simply have failed and will fail to attract star players.

Quote Originally Posted by Blood Tunnel View Post
    To think some Swans supporters also bought GWS memberships in that first year............some have dual m'ships.

Disgrace!
    Make no mistake! They were our enemy then & will continue to be as long as they are in the comp & in the same state as us.

We shafted their marketing plans of the next 5 years big time when we got Buddy!

We will also attack their 'fringe' players that aren't able to crack it into their team due to an embarrassment of talent handed to them.

They know very wel that they are going to lose some serious talent in the coming years when the Vic clubs really start bringing the Vic players home.
    Taylor Adams is one such example at Collingwood.
    So? Some people just want to go and watch a game of footy, even when their own team is interstate. In Melbourne they can do that via AFL memberships but we don't have that luxury. I don't have a Giants membership but I have no problem with a Swans member that does. It promotes the game in NSW and allows them to go to the footy. I don't see how either of those things are bad. By all means comment on the mischief-making comments from their front office about our decision to sign Franklin, but having a go at fellow supporters who just like going to the footy serves only to detract from your argument.

Personally I wish them every success, and think that the AFL would be far better served by having two highly functioning teams in NSW. That may take 25 years like it did with us but I wish them well. I only want them to lose when they play us.
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Personally I wish them every success, and think that the AFL would be far better served by having two highly functioning teams in NSW. That may take 25 years like it did with us but I wish them well. I only want them to lose when they play us.
    Obviously the AFL is in agreement. Today AFL Commissioner Mike Fitzpatrick reiterated that the AFL was in for the long haul in Sydney. They simply cannot let it fail. They won't wait 25 years like they did with the Swans, which is why they have given GWS so many perks and opportunities to form a strong contending team.

Despite a bit of animosity brewing between the Sydney clubs, I also hope for GSW success. I think it is good for AFL and especially AFL in Sydney.The 2-club cities like Adelaide and Perth seem to have built a good rivalry that the fans really enjoy.

I think the AFL will think long and hard before taking the COLA away from the Sydney clubs. They don't want a repeat of the Brisbane scenario, where you had the greatest team in footy fall from grace to a sad and costly situation where the AFL will have to lay out more than the mil a year that the COLA costs to keep them afloat. Brisbane is one market, but Sydney is THE market.

Also, Eddie McGuire should keep his mouth shut (asking for the impossible) and be happy about the Franklin deal, since Collingwood reaped the benefits by signing up Jesse White, who I still believe was the big casualty for us getting Buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by CJK View Post
    Second club in Sydney 'a terrible move' according to RWO forum user CJK
    I think that it just might work for the AFL and I hope it does. A little bit early to tell at the moment. If they are still wooden-spooning in year 5 AFL House will start reassessing the investment but with the crop of players they have and the skin that HQ already has in the game (and the next three years) will have them working hard t protect that investment.

The original commitment was for 20 years. That's a long time in football. Things can change very quickly. I look forwrd to hating them one day. For the moment I wish them well and they are my second team.

I had GWS membership, because I wanted to watch AFL every week in Sydney. Unfortunately, GWS pissed me off with their attacks on Sydney Swans and targeting Swans supporters (e-mails, phone calls, etc.). What they should be doing is getting supporters from other codes instead of trying to convince AFL supporters to sign with them instead.

Veterans List
    I was ambivilent towards GWS at first but their relentless and often stupid attacks on the Swans and the ridiculous draft concessions afforded them by the AFL has me now hating them.

With the staggering number of high draft picks in their squad there is unfortunaely no way they cannot become a very powerful team for a decade. I doubt however that they will become a powerful club which is a different thing.

This latest COLA attack by them on the Swans is completely senseless. COLA is just that, it compensates the player for being drafted to the most costly city in Australia. Whether you are a Swans or a GWS player you still have to bear that extra living expense, it can't be taken away from us but retained by GWS, that severely disadvantages a player drafted by the Swans - stupid argument GWS!

What is not being debated is that unlike Vic, SA & WA clubs, a much larger proportion of Swans and GWS drafees have to move away from their home state to play and in Swans and GWS players have to bear much higher living expenses than Melb, Adel or Perth based players.

COLA should remain but be a fixed amount for players not residing in Sydney (the city) when they are recruited. Complete loss of the COLA will see playrs much more easily lured away by clubs in their home states hen we'll end up like Brisbane Lions post their premiership era. THink about whether you want that to happen AFL, it will set the game back in NSW for generation all because of knee jerk reaction to some great recruiting.

Goes up to 11
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Obviously the AFL is in agreement. Today AFL Commissioner Mike Fitzpatrick reiterated that the AFL was in for the long haul in Sydney. They simply cannot let it fail.
    It's one thing to say they cannot let it fail, but the success of GWS is not a fait accompli regardless of how much money is thrown at it.

Like any new business, regardless of how much is spent at start up and in its early days, sometimes the ability of the market to support that business is overestimated. Throwing wads of money around to develop a market and hence sufficient demand for a particular product doesn't always work. There is no guarantee that the AFL will make this venture successful after 10, 15 or 20 years. Their first few years certainly haven't done too much to give confidence in the success of GWS in the Sydney market.

At least my fears of GWS cannibalising Swans' memberships have not yet had an impact. We seem pretty strong still and our recent off-field moves seem to point to our continued strength on and off the field for a while yet. I am happy about that...

Fitzpatrick won't be on the commission for ever. When he and d3metriou go there will be a consultant review and happy acres will be dropped like the proverbial. No one wants to throw good money after bad. By his own admission, they are clearly behind their business case already

Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast