Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: the best to play Sydney footy

the best to play Sydney footy

It's a bit boring on this forum, especially for those of us who won't get invited to Pekay's wedding. Practice matches are still three weeks away, so I'm starting a discussion on who's the best player you've seen in Sydney footy.

I'll start the ball rolling - I liked Armitage for Manly last season - in everything and the heart of a lion. And probably got Manly their premiership pretty much on his own shoulders.

Going back a few years, Robbie Kerr for the Uni Eastern Bulldogs carried the team and went all day, all year, even when his teammates seemed to have had enough. He's now a major part of the Brisbane Lions coaching panel.

Going way back, I was lucky enough to see Peter Ruskuklic for Easts who kicked 250 goals in a year and dominated - you can tell that you HAVE to be dominating to kick 250 plus goals in a year.

Come on all you frustrated footy fans....give us some names.

I've only been involved for 4 years but Rampe 2 years ago was absolute class.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by justabaraker View Post
    It's a bit boring on this forum, especially for those of us who won't get invited to Pekay's wedding. Practice matches are still three weeks away, so I'm starting a discussion on who's the best player you've seen in Sydney footy.

I'll start the ball rolling - I liked Armitage for Manly last season - in everything and the heart of a lion. And probably got Manly their premiership pretty much on his own shoulders.

Going back a few years, Robbie Kerr for the Uni Eastern Bulldogs carried the team and went all day, all year, even when his teammates seemed to have had enough. He's now a major part of the Brisbane Lions coaching panel.

Going way back, I was lucky enough to see Peter Ruskuklic for Easts who kicked 250 goals in a year and dominated - you can tell that you HAVE to be dominating to kick 250 plus goals in a year.

I also like Armitage, however i doubt he was the only reason they won the comp...he didnt win best and fairest at the club and didnt win the Rod Podbury Medal so that there is a big call....Ranga Ediwickrama when he is on is an exception to watch as his best....its hard to say whose the best because so many players have come and gone....

My particular favourite was Luke Jarjoura couple years back for the bulldogs, an absolute gun! the "three peat" east coast team had some good players too, the vlatko brothers, standford and even big gus seebeack alot of opposition clubs probably didnt rate him but he still managed to be a dominate force for years...

Then you back to Nth Shore legend Livy, Tommy Hill, Crosby and Parker. Absolute legends.

Rod Podbury for Bankstown/Campbelltown
    John Pitura for Norths

Jason Allie - SWS in the old league. Most gifted player I've still seen.

Kippa from Balmain.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Oath View Post
    Jason Allie - SWS in the old league. Most gifted player I've still seen.
    Jason Allie had the X factor. Was so hard to not watch him and try to stop him!

I never played higher than SFA besides 18s but watched a bit of SFL growing up.

Manny Lynch at Wests was special.

That Campbelltown team that went to play in the ACTAFL had some freaks in it.

Ben Physick for longevity, started playing Seniors at 15 or 16, and as a bloke I grew up playing against and with for a short time, was good to see him win a flag.

For SFA, and for his SFL days as well, Trev Burnett was a champion in every sense. Nice bloke off the field too.

Shaun Edmunds at Parra as well, geez he was a tough bastard.

Some of the blokes I had the (dis)pleasure of playing on like Fred David from Gong, Phil Cianci from Mac Uni, Andrew Browne from Sydney Uni, Andrew Davis & Thain from UTS were unstoppable, and the early days against Jacko from Manly, but the bloke was a @@@@@, personally. They were all match winners

I reckon Don Ollington was up there too in the late 90s/2000s. Carter Mullins too. Loved playing on Jabba from Penrith, always a tough battle.

We would get regularly flogged, so would normally see the opposition at their very best!

Warming the Bench
    I can only comment on the last 7-8 years of Sydney football but there have been many in my time.

Brad "Superboot" Abbott was an amazing footballer and almost always kicked big bags. Didn't look like much but had hands like a vice and rarely missed a shot

Ronnie Wason at North Shore is in the elite category of Sydney footballers in my opinion. Was a very difficult match up and no forward liked seeing him walk towards them. I remember speaking to Pete Dugmore about him and he said he was his toughest opponent by a mile

Matty Withers is in a similar category to Wason. In his prime he was very good and his work ethic as a forward was second to none. It took a very good player to stop him

Dane Rampe - its funny however I think that when he left he was just a "good" player that was better than average but nothing to plan against. When he returned he was a very different footballer and was elite. His time in the VFL certainly developed his all around game and he was a clear standout of the competition.

Mike Beardsley was an outstanding footballer. An absolute professional who just accumulated possessions at will. A great stoppage player. We planned a lot against him when he was at the dogs for that year and actually used 2 players on him for the 2009 GF to nullify him. We were lucky enough to get him across for the 10-11 season where he played in those flags.

In terms of East Coast - we had some very good players through that period. But Jamie Vlatko was the best forward I have seen play in Sydney by an absolute street. No one comes close to him in my biased opinion. He came straight from SANFL and just dominated the competition. You will never meet a more competitive person in sport. His brother Jon is pretty handy as well....

Good thread

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Freedman View Post
    In terms of East Coast - we had some very good players through that period. But Jamie Vlatko was the best forward I have seen play in Sydney by an absolute street. No one comes close to him in my biased opinion. He came straight from SANFL and just dominated the competition. You will never meet a more competitive person in sport. His brother Jon is pretty handy as well....
    Only seen Jamie Vlatko a couple of times and he's worthy of a mention as a champion Baulko forward. But I was interested in FOOTY BARISTA's mention of big Gus Seebeck - couldn't run and couldn't even bend down to pick up the ball but wow, what a presence !
    He just stands there in the ruck duel, or in the square, and dominates...opponents must sh+t themselves if they find that they are lined up against him.

Almost Football Legend
    That season Dane Rampe had a couple of years ago was something special - I've never seen one player dominate the league like he did that year.
    But for a best player award, I'd be looking at someone who's the first picked in club and rep games, year in year out. I've been around for about 10 years, and the likes of Ron Wason and Declan Donohue fall into that category. If Barnaby Howarth hadn't been struck down in his prime, I'm sure he'd have been in that category as well.
    Like Justabaraker mentioned, Gus Seebeck certainly had an imposing presence; especially the year he kicked the ton.

And a special mention for Luffy. Even after a long AFL career, when most former players would have been happy to give it away, he's had a very long stint in Sydney footy - 2 Phelan Medals, plenty of games, just about every accolade except a premiership medal.

Follow me on Twitter - @tealfooty

Warming the Bench
    Best I have seen in my time (Admittedly limited in the number of Premier games I've seen) are as follows:
    Grant Bartholomaeus - Hard and skilful.
    Sean Fitzpatrick - Talents Center Half Forward at Premier level and later in Div one as a player coach.
    Jason Philp - Would have loved to have seen him in the Premier Division.
    Carn the Southern Power.....

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast