Page 14 of 16 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516 LastLast

Thread: 2014 round 1 team vs GWS

Veterans List
    Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I think that Ryano not wanting to play as a permanent forward would not help his chances. I think flexibility is the key here, if a player is not willing to be flexible then he is going to be a doubtful starter. The other thing is the match ups. Yes he could play on Green but during the preseason other players like Parker and Mitchell have performed better. ROK was getting most of his ball in the back half and his delivery was not AFL standard at all. some of his decision making was terrible. I watched the GWS NAB Challenge match again and he had a OOF free. He kicked the ball straight to a GWs player, luckily the ball was brought back because the umpire had not whistled play on. He had a second kick and butchered that as well landing it at a players feet. ROK did not perform as well as the rest of the mids preseason. He is a slow starter and this year his slow start will be in the Twos and the form players will play Seniors. I think any player who thinks just because he is a senior player he has an armchair ride is deluded this year. If a player is down on form, no matter who they are, expect them to be dropped.
    So ROK does a couple of errant kicks. So why is McGlynn in the side. He does multiple errant kicks every game he plays.

Quote Originally Posted by wolftone57 View Post
    I think that Ryano not wanting to play as a permanent forward would not help his chances.
    ROK "I don't want to play as a permanent forward"
    Longmire "OK, but just so you know, it may be harder to slot you in the team every week"
    ROK "No problems I'll take that risk" (thinks to himself "yeah, sure - they are going to leave me out of the team - I'm kinda like Goodsie - walks into the team at any time)
    Longmire ""
    ROK " Well damn...."
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

I doubt that ROK's preference to play midfield was an issue. That was a few years ago anyway. Probably a combination of ordinary preseason form and some good form of a few of the younger mids.

Quote Originally Posted by Nico View Post
    Any chance this is simply a player management issue. Other clubs have done this in previous years. It might simply be saving him for a certain number of games.
    Yep my thoughts too Nico, if he's not named in the squad in two weeks time to play Collingwood then we'll know there's an issue.

-

Quote Originally Posted by Jewels View Post
    Yep my thoughts too Nico, if he's not named in the squad in two weeks time to play Collingwood then we'll know there's an issue.
    Yep. Sounds like he's been a bit down on form over the preseason, so why not give the younger ones game time against GWS and make sure ROK is fit and firing at the business end of the season. But it's a good message to everyone in the club.
    The man who laughs has not yet heard the terrible news

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Jed Lamb didn't make first selection for GWS - he's an emergency.
    I hadn't realised this until a colleague just pointed it out to me. That is almost as eyebrow raising as ROK not making our team, given the fuss they made about pursuing him.

Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    I hadn't realised this until a colleague just pointed it out to me. That is almost as eyebrow raising as ROK not making our team, given the fuss they made about pursuing him.
    Yes and the big money they are said to be paying him. I know I'm a bit mean (and I do wish Lamb the best fot a great career) but I had a little smile when I read his name on the emergency list. Reality strikes - AFL is a tough gig!

loyalty is a lovely quality but as we have have heard the last few days John Longmire is a leader of a team that strives to be better week in week out not just season to season.

Champan was in a similar boat to ROK in 2014 and the Cats made a very decisive call on his career

The competition is red hot and it was a real Kevin Sheedy type call that has all our players on notice !
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Yes and the big money they are said to be paying him. I know I'm a bit mean (and I do wish Lamb the best fot a great career) but I had a little smile when I read his name on the emergency list. Reality strikes - AFL is a tough gig!
    Shows that Jed made a good move going to GWS. If he can't get a gig at the Giants, what chance at the Swans? He'd have to sneak ahead of Ryan just to get on the emergency list.

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Shows that Jed made a good move going to GWS. If he can't get a gig at the Giants, what chance at the Swans? He'd have to sneak ahead of Ryan just to get on the emergency list.
    In the trial against us and one other I watched , I cant say i was overly impressed with his form, so didnt suprise me. Feel for him but sometimes these guys can get a little ahead of themselves. He would actually have been better off going to someone other than GWS as they have a lot of players that arent that much younger than him now and are all top draft picks.

As for ROK, again trial form wasnt impressive and really shouldnt be that worried. He's in his last season or so, still being paid well and its not like beig demoted if you were a 24 year old trying to establish yourself. He's not fighitng to impress for another five years , so if he can keep his ego in check , its not that bad a situation.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by liz View Post
    The GWS Giants were furious that the Swans landed Franklin ahead of them, so they thought they would teach the Swans a lesson by dragging out two of our players by threatening the Pre-Season draft.

It was reported in the smh that Mumford is being paid around $650,000 a season (twice his swans rate) and Lamb is also being paid handsomely for what he has shown thus far in his career. I don't think that Mumford is worth that much, and Lamb has not made the starting 22 of a team that won one game in 2013.

The GWS should have conserved their money, maybe front ended some contracts (although this could dangerous), and used some big free agency fire power once there youngsters were more mature and the club had won some respect.

Instead the probably paid around $1,000,000 a year for Mumford and Lamb to go with the reported $1,000,000 for Tom Scully. This is not savy recruiting and use of funds!