Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 round 1 team vs GWS

Fair call. If they go that way, I can see Cunningham doing out for Derickx.

That would leave an interesting sub choice....

Based on the preseason I think we should give Cunningham a starting 21 spot. He's been one of the best players so far and we need to reward those young players who do everything right to get a game. I think he has really set the standard for the other youngsters as for what you need to do to get a senior game at the Swans. It's not just reward for effort, he's really played better than a number of regulars. Certainly should be ahead of Jetta at this point.

No chance Cunningham is ahead of Jetta.

Quote Originally Posted by DeadlyAkkuret View Post
    No chance Cunningham is ahead of Jetta.
    Just saying that Jetta missed a lot of football last year and had an interrupted preseason with the ITB surgery and he hasn't put in that much game time. While Cunningham has played well and has had a full preseason. So at this stage of the year, I think Cunningham is better prepared to run out a game than Jetta. Nothing to do with ability or how things may look by round 3, but for round 1, I would prefer Harry in the 21.

To help things along, here's the team that played the PF against Freo:

Dane Rampe Ted Richards Nick Smith
    Nick Malceski Heath Grundy, Jarrad McVeigh
    Daniel Hannebery Ryan O'Keefe Luke Parker
    Ben McGlynn Jesse White Jude Bolton
    Harry Cunningham Mike Pyke Craig Bird

R: Shane Mumford, Josh P. Kennedy, Kieren Jack

I/C Andrejs Everitt, Lewis Jetta, Shane Biggs, Gary Rohan (sub)

Round 1
    LRT Ted Richards Nick Smith
    Dane Rampe Heath Grundy, Jarrad McVeigh
    Ben McGlynn Lance Franklin Gary Rohan
    Lewis Jetta Sam Reid Craig Bird

R: Mike Pyke, Josh P. Kennedy, Kieren Jack
    I/C Nick Malceski, Tom Mitchell, Tom Derickx, Harry Cunningham (sub)

OUT: Mumford, Everitt, White (traded), Bolton (ret), Biggs
    IN: Reid, Franklin, LRT, Mitchell, Derickx
    UNLUCKY: Laidler

LRT is an obvious for the backline but may go forward. Without Tippett and Goodes we're a bit short up forward, so Derickx to add some height in the front half.

UNLUCKY: Laidler and SHAW

Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    UNLUCKY: Laidler and SHAW
    Thanks, Lud. How could I forget our last captain?

Suspended by the MRP
    [QUOTE=ShockOfHair;633742]To help things along, here's the team that played the PF against Freo:

Dane Rampe Ted Richards Nick Smith
    Nick Malceski Heath Grundy, Jarrad McVeigh
    Ben McGlynn Jesse White Jude Bolton
    Harry Cunningham Mike Pyke Craig Bird

R: Shane Mumford, Josh P. Kennedy, Kieren Jack

I/C Andrejs Everitt, Lewis Jetta, Shane Biggs, Gary Rohan (sub)

Round 1
    LRT Ted Richards Nick Smith
    Dane Rampe Heath Grundy, Jarrad McVeigh
    Ben McGlynn Lance Franklin Gary Rohan
    Lewis Jetta Sam Reid Craig Bird

R: Mike Pyke, Josh P. Kennedy, Kieren Jack
    I/C Nick Malceski, Tom Mitchell, Tom Derickx, Harry Cunningham (sub)

OUT: Mumford, Everitt, White (traded), Bolton (ret), Biggs
    IN: Reid, Franklin, LRT, Mitchell, Derickx
    UNLUCKY: Laidler

LRT is an obvious for the backline but may go forward. Without Tippett and Goodes we're a bit short up forward, so Derickx to add some height in the front half.[/QUOT

LRT has to play back against GWS due to them having Cameron, Patton and Tom Boyd who are huge key forwards!
    He may play in other places depending on the opposition!

i think AJ, LRT and Rampe will simply alternate starting down back most the season with LRT being able to upfront down back and in the ruck.

I thought considering how much pressure was applied to our backs last thursday against WC.....that Rampe looked sharp and is an important player for us in 2014

If Shaw, ROK, Goodes are given a career type finish in 2014 (as the Swans generally provide their long serving players well with a grand finale season) i think we will find some of the players like Rampe and AJ and even LRT shifting around a little if we have most players fit and healthy !

For me Jetta still has so much to prove and BJ, Cunningham and Towers are just becoming serious serious competition for the HFF or wing possies
    "be tough, only when it gets tough"

Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    Without Tippett and Goodes we're a bit short up forward, so Derickx to add some height in the front half.
    For mine if Derickx is in the team at all its gotta be as first ruck, allowing Pyke to play more minutes as a deep forward where he is very effective. Derickxs kicked all of two goals from 17 games for the Coburg Tigers in '13, where as he had that 60 hit out game one time. It's GWS, we will still break even in the midfield even if Mummy has a good game, may as well see what Derickx can do at AFL level early on.

Quote Originally Posted by Auntie.Gerald View Post
    i think AJ, LRT and Rampe will simply alternate starting down back most the season with LRT being able to upfront down back and in the ruck.

I thought considering how much pressure was applied to our backs last thursday against WC.....that Rampe looked sharp and is an important player for us in 2014

If Shaw, ROK, Goodes are given a career type finish in 2014 (as the Swans generally provide their long serving players well with a grand finale season) i think we will find some of the players like Rampe and AJ and even LRT shifting around a little if we have most players fit and healthy !

For me Jetta still has so much to prove and BJ, Cunningham and Towers are just becoming serious serious competition for the HFF or wing possies
    Agree that Rampe has looked solid and will be hard to omit from the team. Difficult to say what LRT's role will be, especially given the uncertainty with Tippett at the moment. Doubt if Horse knows either.

ROK has said that he wants to play on beyond this season, and I with his fitness level, there's no reason why he can't.
    Shaw is playing like someone with something to prove. Probably didn't like the talk about him being washed up. Has a big incentive to carry on with his brother playing in Sydney.
    Goodes: ???

Veterans List
    What's this discussion about Towers, have I missed something? From what I saw in the first two games, he only had a handful of cameos worthy of any note, I still have him as yet another likely first round potato!

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast