Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 round 1 team vs GWS

Quote Originally Posted by Meg View Post
    Very true. I've just bought a ticket for that match through Swans' member services. I wanted to be seated with other Swans' fans as protection from (probably) 40,000+ rabid Crows' supporters as they jeer Tippett!

I've just been at revamped Adelaide Oval for a Sheffield Shield cricket match. The new stadium is superb. I'm sure it will be a sellout for the Swans' match so atmosphere will be electric.
    I'll be there too Meg, in the same section no doubt. Strength in (small) numbers eh?

Which is the pub of choice for Swans fans in Adelaide before and after?
    Today's a draft of your epitaph

Well sadly injuries - minor or major may have something to say about that.
    Obviously Tippett comes straight in.Not sure how much longer Goodsie will be able to go on. If this is s season with minimal playing time due to nagging injuries, it may well be his last.
    Hope I'm wrong, but that is the feeling I have.
    Regardless, I guess if we are injury free, then players will have to work harder to keep their spots, which is always good
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Quote Originally Posted by CureTheSane View Post
    Yep, and my pick for the last 4
    Int: Reid, Parker, Cunningham
    Sub: Mitchell
    Agree except Cunningham NOT Mitchell (who is a gun) should be the sub. However it would appear that Laidler will be named going by the comments made by McVeigh and Ted Richards. All in all it's a good position to be in as Jack and Derickx are both stiff to miss out.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by chalbilto View Post
    Agree except Cunningham NOT Mitchell (who is a gun) should be the sub. However it would appear that Laidler will be named going by the comments made by McVeigh and Ted Richards. All in all it's a good position to be in as Jack and Derickx are both stiff to miss out.
    I don't know how they will fit Laidler into the side! If he plays on the GWS third tall be has to play on Tom Boyd (200cm, 1st pick, most highly rated young key forward). LRT will have to play on Boyd as I think he is too big for Dane Rampe. Richards gets Cameron, and Grundy will be get Patten.

Laidler is then competing for flanker and small defender roles with Malceski, Nick Smith, Dane Rampe, Ryce Shaw. I don't know how you can fit Laidler in as I've mentioned seven defenders who would all be ahead of him!

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    I don't know how they will fit Laidler into the side! If he plays on the GWS third tall be has to play on Tom Boyd (200cm, 1st pick, most highly rated young key forward). LRT will have to play on Boyd as I think he is too big for Dane Rampe. Richards gets Cameron, and Grundy will be get Patten.

Laidler is then competing for flanker and small defender roles with Malceski, Nick Smith, Dane Rampe, Ryce Shaw. I don't know how you can fit Laidler in as I've mentioned seven defenders who would all be ahead of him!
    I guess the answer may be in LRT's much hyped versatility. There is every chance he may be played forward, or even in the ruck. And remember all the talk of Sam Reid also playing down back.
    Although that doesn't really answer you question as we still would have too many players for back positions. I actually have no idea how they will fit the 25+ deserving guys into a best 22. Glad I'm not on the selection committee!
    Last edited by Chookbilly; 10th March 2014 at 02:00 PM.
    Ed Considine's day out - Round 3, 16th April 1995.
    11 Kicks, 13 Handballs, 8 Marks, 1 Goal, 1 Behind, 1 Tackle, 1 Hitout, 3 Brownlow votes (his only votes)
    Ed = God

Warming the Bench
    Here's my Rd 1 team:

B: Smith Richards Shaw
    HB: McVeigh Grundy Malceski
    C: Jetta O'Keefe Hannebery
    HF: Mitchell Franklin McGlynn
    FF: Parker Reid Rohan
    R: Pyke Kennedy K.Jack
    INT: Bird LRT Rampe Cunningham

Plenty of run, very mobile with LRT 2nd ruck?.Bring on the whinging Giants!

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Reggi View Post
    Not sure Liz. Rampe is more of a runner, he is not a strong third tall which Laidler is. Whilst Rampe is tall in the pre season I noticed they played him more on runners than talls. I think you could play both. Personally I would be surprised if Laidler wasn't a lock for round 1. Teddy and Mcveigh's comments seem to reinforce that. That said tough choices to make this week. LRT may force him out
    I just looked at the Swan's website player stats.

Rampe is down at 188cm / 88kg and Laidler is listed at 190cm / 89kg. Are they fudging or is Laidler bigger than that?

Rampe was excellent last year, a nice kick and from reports did well in pre-season.......I can't see how Laidler is ahead for the round one spot.

I know the senior players like to pump up and back the new bloke, but it is also a fair kick in the guts to Rampe!

Quote Originally Posted by goods78 View Post

Rampe is down at 188cm / 88kg and Laidler is listed at 190cm / 89kg. Are they fudging or is Laidler bigger than that?

Rampe was excellent last year, a nice kick and from reports did well in pre-season.......I can't see how Laidler is ahead for the round one spot.

I know the senior players like to pump up and back the new bloke, but it is also a fair kick in the guts to Rampe!
    It's quite possible to have both Laidler and Rampe in the side. If you take the end of last year's side, replace Dre with Laidler and Shaw comes in for Macca, who returns to the midfield. The problem is that it seems to push out someone else from the midfield. But who?

Laidler, Rampe and Cunningham all played well enough to secure a spot in the side, but it seems unlikely that all will.

A couple of players are going to miss out on round one, even with Tippett, Goodes and AJ not playing.

I think it is more than Rampe plays smaller. His strength is running. He played more on midfielders playing forward in the pre season. Laidler is a strong intercept mark, better overhead more physical player than Rampe. Their similar heights belythe fact that they aren't really similar players

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by goods78 View Post

Well said Goods78. Rampe is far ahead of Laidler! Carlton would have said yes in five seconds if a Swans recruiter had suggested an offseason trade of Rampe for Laidler.

Rampe tenacity, discipline, athleticism and kicking ability have him well ahead of Laidler.

One thing is certain, neither Laidler or Rampe are going to be able to play as the 3rd tall defender against GWSs Tom Boyd. The guy is 200cm and the best junior player in the country. You will need an LRT to do this job, but many on Red and White are advocating for LRT to play forward and as 2nd Ruck!

B: Smith Richards Shaw
    HB: McVeigh Grundy Malceski
    C: Cunningham O'Keefe Hannebery
    HF: Mitchell Franklin McGlynn
    FF: Parker Reid Rohan
    R: Pyke Kennedy K.Jack
    INT: Bird LRT Rampe Jetta (sub) - I have Reid in the FF but he may be the 3rd tall down back
    One vege patch at a time
    www.onegreenacre.com
    Looking for a beer? Look here,
    www.whereisthepub.org

Rampe is a favorite of mine because he does good things, but also makes few mistakes.
    I always feel good when the ball is in his hands.
    The difference between insanity and genius is measured only in success.

Page 5 of 16 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast