Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 round 1 team vs GWS

Quote Originally Posted by Triple B View Post
    I doubt our match committee will be as petrified of the 'big 3' up forward for GWS as some posters here are.

Cameron = a bona fide star, but Patton is coming off an ACL and less than 20 games under his belt and Boyd has never played an AFL game.

May be worth worrying about in 2016 and beyond, but not this week. I'll be backing either Rampe or Laidler to comfortably handle first gamer Boyd. Think Hawkins, Daniher and even Patton himself....
    They probably won't be together beyond 2016 because I'm sure the Vic clubs will begin to rape GWS for their talent.

If they play 3 talls, Reg will get 30+ possession s.

Now Nick Smith is pumping up Laidler's tyres (from Swan website interview):

Former Blue Laidler in particular has impressed Smith, who he suggested could fill the role vacated by Marty Mattner's injury-enforced retirement early in 2013.

I don't know if this means that he's playing round 1 or they're just placating him when he has to play in the ressies.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Reggi View Post
    I think it is more than Rampe plays smaller. His strength is running. He played more on midfielders playing forward in the pre season. Laidler is a strong intercept mark, better overhead more physical player than Rampe. Their similar heights belythe fact that they aren't really similar players
    Thanks Reggi.

I did not see much of him or take much notice when he played at his previous club. When his move was announced, I immediately pegged him as a depth player due to our strong defence......we will wait for the team sheet.

what's happened to biggs?? haven't heard a thing about him. seems odd since he played finals last year

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    Now Nick Smith is pumping up Laidler's tyres (from Swan website interview):

Former Blue Laidler in particular has impressed Smith, who he suggested could fill the role vacated by Marty Mattner's injury-enforced retirement early in 2013.

I don't know if this means that he's playing round 1 or they're just placating him when he has to play in the ressies.
    I'm not sure what is going with all this pumping up of Jeremy Laidler. It's coming from certain Swans players and is now being taken up by the RWO community!

Have you all forgotten how good Dane Rampe is. He was not only the new Matner in 2013, but a great new addition to our back line! He will be a superb player for us if we give him time to develop!

Laidler I'm sure will be handy, but Rampe and Alex Johnson when fit should be played ahead of Laidler!

My 2 bobs worth. Players need to know that form will be rewarded. Otherwise they lose faith and the whole club structure falls down. Cunningham has been sensational in the pre season so must be in the starting 21. Bird, Mitchell, Shaw, Reg have also been good. I don't believe in nursing players this early in the season. If you play, then you must be fit and do the job asked. LRT must play as a 3rd tall and also help out Pyke when required. Derickz shouldn't take another's deserved spot just because he can play 2nd ruck. I know team structure comes into things, but I believe you should earn your spot on merit. Jetta just takes the int spot because of the impact he can potentially make late in the game

FB: LRT, Richards, Shaw
    HB: Smith, Grundy, Malceski
    C: McVeigh, Hannebery, Parker
    HF: Bird, Franklin, Cunningham
    FF: Rohan, Reid, O'Keefe
    R: Pyke, Kennedy, K Jack
    Int: Mitchell, McGlynn, Rampe
    Sub: Jetta

Emerg: Laidler, Derickx, B Jack

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    I'm not sure what is going with all this pumping up of Jeremy Laidler. It's coming from certain Swans players and is now being taken up by the RWO community!

Have you all forgotten how good Dane Rampe is. He was not only the new Matner in 2013, but a great new addition to our back line! He will be a superb player for us if we give him time to develop!

Laidler I'm sure will be handy, but Rampe and Alex Johnson when fit should be played ahead of Laidler!
    Ludwig correctly replied earlier to me that they can both play in the back line if one of the mid's goes out. I'm not sure that's going to happen with our star filled mid's. I still think they are fighting for the one spot in the regular season, although if you were to experiment it could be against GWS.

I understand what the players are trying to do in pumping up Laidler, I think it is a little transparent.

Rampe will be a solid AFL player - no need to convince me!

On AJ......let's take team selection one week at a time!

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by goods78 View Post
    Ludwig correctly replied earlier to me that they can both play in the back line if one of the mid's goes out. I'm not sure that's going to happen with our star filled mid's. I still think they are fighting for the one spot in the regular season, although if you were to experiment it could be against GWS.

I understand what the players are trying to do in pumping up Laidler, I think it is a little transparent.

Rampe will be a solid AFL player - no need to convince me!

On AJ......let's take team selection one week at a time!
    Well said Goods78. I don't know how you can fit both Laidler and Rampe into the same side!

Key Defenders - Richards, Grundy maybe LRT for periods

Medium / Small Defenders - Rampe, Smith, Malceski, Shaw

That is seven defenders if you have LRT down there. It becomes eight if you use Jarod McVeigh down there for periods as well!

How does Jeremy Laidler fit into that defence?

Could Ryce Shaw miss out to put Laidler in?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post

That Laidler is getting wraps from both Ted and Smithie is pretty significant. You'd think they'd know.

Plus, if he's going to play A-grade, he needs a nickname. Ideas anyone?

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying South View Post
    FB: LRT, Richards, Shaw
    HB: Smith, Grundy, Malceski
    C: McVeigh, Hannebery, Parker
    HF: Bird, Franklin, Cunningham
    FF: Rohan, Reid, O'Keefe
    R: Pyke, Kennedy, K Jack
    Int: Mitchell, McGlynn, Rampe
    Sub: Jetta

Emerg: Laidler, Derickx, B Jack
    I think that is probably close to the mark, with Laidler for Rampe the most probable alteration if there is going to be one.

It does get tricky when you try to insert Tippett and AJ into that team and, hopefully at some point, Goodsey too.

I thought Flying South was on the mark as well. It's just the Laidler thing that's hard to work out.

I think we've got a 23 man side and I just can't pick who will be left out.

Page 7 of 16 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast