Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 2014 round 1 team vs GWS

Longmire said in today's Smh article that you can play both

Given rehab and a disrupted preseason, Pyke will need support and it would be foolish to put that extra demand on LRT, given he'll just be back from his own (longer) rehab. Of course, only fit players should play. But a return after a long lay-off also has to be managed. I hope Derrickx is in the 22.

Veteran Site Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Reggi View Post
    Longmire said in today's Smh article that you can play both
    Of course you can play both. But then you've got to leave someone else out. Would that be Rohan? McGlynn? Mitchell? Or maybe toss up between McVeigh or Franklin...

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    If LRT is named/playing in defence, then he can't really be available to relieve Pyke in the ruck, even for very short spells. Therefore this team needs another ruckman and Derickx would come into that hypothetical lineup. Who for? It would be harsh after his impressive pre-season form but I think Cunningham would be most likely to miss out.

If LRT named as a forward/ruck, that frees up a spot down back and that could go to Laidler, playing alongside Rampe.

Fair point Ugg. Perhaps this is where Reid the swing man comes into play. Pyke can rest forward, LRT into ruck and Reid swings down back. I'm reluctant to drop a loyal servant.

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    If LRT is named/playing in defence, then he can't really be available to relieve Pyke in the ruck, even for very short spells. Therefore this team needs another ruckman and Derickx would come into that hypothetical lineup. Who for? It would be harsh after his impressive pre-season form but I think Cunningham would be most likely to miss out.

If LRT named as a forward/ruck, that frees up a spot down back and that could go to Laidler, playing alongside Rampe.
    If LRT does play in defence, Reid can cover for him when he relieves Pyke in the ruck.

V. GWS: LRT can play forward as there will likely be only 2 key forwards in their side. Giles has been playing in defence in the preseason, so I would imagine that will be the matchup.

v. Collingwood: LRT can play in defence on Jesse White and go with him all over the ground, matching up with him in the ruck as well. Pyke can probably outlast Grundy in the ruck so may even play a bit vs. White.

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    If LRT does play in defence, Reid can cover for him when he relieves Pyke in the ruck.

V. GWS: LRT can play forward as there will likely be only 2 key forwards in their side. Giles has been playing in defence in the preseason, so I would imagine that will be the matchup.

v. Collingwood: LRT can play in defence on Jesse White and go with him all over the ground, matching up with him in the ruck as well. Pyke can probably outlast Grundy in the ruck so may even play a bit vs. White.
    Great point on LRT running with Jesse White for the whole game. It would be great if Tippett could be back for the Collingwood game, and that Sam Reid and Lance Franklin are damaging against the GWS. If this occurs then Buckely may leave Ben Reid in defence instead of swinging him forward. Keeping Ben Reid pinned in defence would help the Swans defence immensely as he has looked damaging in the NAB Cup in attack. An interesting game of chess!

I?m waiting for people to tell me ?one game at a time?!

Senior Player
    Not convinced that Laidler has shown enough to earn a spot for round 1, he gets to the right spots but his leg speed and decision making has been below par in the pre-season, I would have Rampe comfortably ahead of him at this point. However who know's what Longmire has in mind??

Warming the Bench
    If Longmire does leave one of the mid's out for Laidler, who is the most under-done?

I think Jetta looked a bit off pace in the GWS / Eagles matches coming back from injury. A week or two in the seconds could be ok for him and Harry could take the sub role.

Can you feel it? Site Admin ugg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ludwig View Post
    v. Collingwood: LRT can play in defence on Jesse White and go with him all over the ground, matching up with him in the ruck as well.
    But who will mark Grundy/Hudson/Witts when White is in the ruck and they are resting forward?

Quote Originally Posted by ugg View Post
    But who will mark Grundy/Hudson/Witts when White is in the ruck and they are resting forward?
    Either they go head to head with Pyke all over the ground, or you get those height mismatches that you often see if each ruckman rests forward. It will happen for both sides equally.

We know that LRT hasn't been training with the ruck crew, don't we? It would be very surprising to throw him into second ruck role after so long without a game, and even when he was last playing, precious little time in the ruck. I can't see not playing a second ruckman, even if only to get game time into him (Derickz at this point) to cover for injuries down the track. At the same time, LRT running with White?and following him into the ruck if need be?in the Collingwood game would be very interesting.
    Laidler cannot be in the picture this week, given the form of the back 7 (including Rampe, who would justifiably be spewing to be omitted). For me the question comes down to Jetta or Cunningham as the extra outside, with my leaning to Jetta at this point?but he will be on notice, as Cunningham merits a place on pre-season form (as well as the carry-over form from last year).

Page 8 of 16 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast