Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Swans vs Lions this sat 8th March

Quote Originally Posted by Matimbo View Post
    Just catching up on reading other threads. I can see a bit of discussion on the ruck question in the "2014 round 1 team vs GWS" thread. Seems like the common opinion is that Tom D is the expected option?
    Yep, that's how it sounded out of Horse's mouth before he said they were all possible (or words to that effect).
    Before you criticize a man, walk a mile in his shoes. That way you'll be a mile away and he'll be shoeless.

If Tippett really is a likely inclusion from Round 2 or 3, maybe the plan is to put a ruckman permanently at full forward for a couple of rounds so as to simulate the long term structure.

Goes up to 11
    Just catching up on reading other threads. I can see a bit of discussion on the ruck question in the "2014 round 1 team vs GWS" thread. Seems like the common opinion is that Tom D is the expected option?
    I reckon Tom D has played himself into a round 1 spot - not flashy but seems to have played his role reasonably well so far.

Without Tippett or Goodes our marking forwards are Reid and Rohan, so the two-ruck option seems inevitable. LRT will go down back which makes Derrickx the most likely.

Ego alta, ergo ictus Ruck'n'Roll's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mountain Man View Post
    If Tippett really is a likely inclusion from Round 2 or 3, maybe the plan is to put a ruckman permanently at full forward for a couple of rounds so as to simulate the long term structure.
    +1

Suspended by the MRP
    Without Kurt Tippett the Swans need to play a back-up Ruckman to support Pyke. Pyke can't ruck all minutes by himself. LRT is a back up ruck option, but the Giants will play three huge key forwards (Boyd, Cameron and Patten) and LRT needs to take one of those.

In the forward line Sam Reid and Lance Franklin don't have Jesse White's ability to contribute some time in the Ruck!

The only option you have available then is one of Tom D, Toby N and Naismith. Tom D with his mature body, desire to succeed and greater experince will be ahead of the others to be played as a back up Ruck.

Mike Pyke resting in the goal square will be dangerous, as Rohan, Franklin and Sam Reid can play up the ground very effectivly.

Warming the Bench
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    Without Kurt Tippett the Swans need to play a back-up Ruckman to support Pyke. Pyke can't ruck all minutes by himself. LRT is a back up ruck option, but the Giants will play three huge key forwards (Boyd, Cameron and Patten) and LRT needs to take one of those.

In the forward line Sam Reid and Lance Franklin don't have Jesse White's ability to contribute some time in the Ruck!

The only option you have available then is one of Tom D, Toby N and Naismith. Tom D with his mature body, desire to succeed and greater experince will be ahead of the others to be played as a back up Ruck.

Mike Pyke resting in the goal square will be dangerous, as Rohan, Franklin and Sam Reid can play up the ground very effectivly.
    With Tippett's injuries I would not risk him as the number two ruck man. You don't put the Roller in to the demolition derby.

Early in the season, I think LRT needs to be the number 2 to Pyke against shorter / weaker teams where we match up well with height in the backline. Against the better, taller teams, bring in the 2nd ruck (Tom D, Toby etc).

I think Sammy is going to kill it early in the season and Horse will be reluctant to send him back.

Senior Player
    Yes, interesting. So do we assume this means Horse has still not made up his mind who/how to cover the backup ruckman vacancy? I'm interested for purely selfish reasons ... in my AFL fantasy team I have been swapping between Tom D and Toby N as one of my backup ruckman. Good price and one of these or Sam N seem likely to get gametime (at least before KT comes back).

Any opinions out there?
    This is an interesting conundrum. It is pretty clear that TD does not have a mortgage on the number 2 spot. Toby shows a lot of promise , is skilled and can kick goals, its only his age and inexperience that counts against him. Its similar with Sam but he is taller and seems to have a positive impact in the centre circle. I'm tipping an upset and predict that one of Toby or Sam take the spot.
    We have them where we want them, everything is going according to plan!

Senior Player
    Sam has wooed me. But i still think Dedrickx will get the nod this time around. Knackers is behind them both at this stage,

Suspended by the MRP
    Quote Originally Posted by magic.merkin View Post
    Sam has wooed me. But i still think Dedrickx will get the nod this time around. Knackers is behind them both at this stage,
    Sam Naismith is still to be promed off the Rookie List, so he can't play seniors unless they promote him.

Like the idea of LRT being seconnd ruck when he is not needed in the backline, but I don't think you can play a forward line of LRT, Tippett, Franklin and Sam Reid. It would be too top heavy!

Quote Originally Posted by ShockOfHair View Post
    Without Tippett or Goodes our marking forwards are Reid and Rohan, so the two-ruck option seems inevitable. LRT will go down back which makes Derrickx the most likely.
    Am I missing something? Buddy not playing?

Quote Originally Posted by Captain View Post
    Am I missing something? Buddy not playing?
    He's an ordinary mark. Maybe that was the point?
    Bloods

"Lockett is the best of all time" - Robert Harvey, Darrel Baldock, Nathan Burke, Kevin Bartlett, Bob Skilton

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast