Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Pyke v Mumford?

It's going to be weird seeing our Mummy in someone else's colours
    Chillin' with the strange Quarks

Quote Originally Posted by DA_Swan View Post
    I think our Midfield will be more worried about being tackled / bumped by Mumford and when the ball hits the ground than GWS will be about Pyke who does not contribute a great deal after the bounce / ball up - in the air a different story as Pyke clearly has Mumford covered there and with his goal kicking - we will see how good our ruck coach is this year - given that stoppages have been a strength of ours over the past few years will be interesting to see how things pan out.
    Both Pyke and Mumford are very good at running interference - the subtle shepherd which provides the space for players like KJack to sprint through the pack and nail a clean clearance / goal without being tackled by the opposition. Jesse was starting to get it late last year as well. It takes a lot of practice, effort and thought on the part of the big men to pull off well and it's usually the on-baller who gets the kudos.

It will be interesting to see how our new big men pull this role off. It will also be interesting to see how the GWS midfield goes with Mumford there providing them with some experienced protection.

Senior Player
    Do we play them again? I'll be more interested to see how Pyke is after a few months of being #1 vs Mummy. Also interesting if Mummy gets through a full season (body wise)....

I think the true tale will come after the close of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by Untamed Snark View Post
    It's going to be weird seeing our Mummy in someone else's colours
    ....said a Geelong supporter in 2010.
    Driver of the Dan Hannebery bandwagon....all aboard. 4th April 09

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by magic.merkin View Post
    Do we play them again? I'll be more interested to see how Pyke is after a few months of being #1 vs Mummy. Also interesting if Mummy gets through a full season (body wise)....

I think the true tale will come after the close of the season.
    Yes, we play them again in June

When Mummy's been injured, Pyke was #1 ruck and did fine. I don't see any problem with him taking on that role this year. Pyke likes to keep his feet more than Mummy, which is probably a positive in the modern game.

When we actually see the 22 that get to play each week, and those that get left out of the side, it will be a fair indication as to whether we have carried both Mummy and Pyke into this year. Barring injury, I didn't think both could play in the same team for 2014.

Mummy is good,but Pyke for me gets the chocolates espcially around the ground
    Now this is a thread that i would expect on the ego -centric, wank session that is redandwhiteonline.com...
    MAD
    Pushin Limits

Veterans List
    Pyke will be far too mobile and agile.

Genuinely find this amazing. Mummy is a MUCH better player all round the ground. But pyke will do a job, and based on past seasons be pretty serviceable.

Coffs Harbour - home of Swans summer camp
    Quote Originally Posted by Melbournehammer View Post
    Genuinely find this amazing. Mummy is a MUCH better player all round the ground. But pyke will do a job, and based on past seasons be pretty serviceable.
    Agreed, Mummy at his peak was/is an incredible footballer. But I can't remember seeing that very much in the last 12 months.
    Someone with a better memory (or game library) will be able to remind us of some of his great games.
    "Fortunately, this is the internet, so knowing nothing is no obstacle to having an opinion!." Beerman 18-07-2017

This debate continues and will never be resolved because it's so hard to compare 'effectiveness.'

After Mummy returned from injury last year I watched Mummy's work with particular interest. I know it's only anecdotal, but I thought that half the time Mummy was following up after his tap work, the thing he is renowned for, the ball just as often ended up with the opposition than with one of our players. He often got in the way of one of our own midfielders. I found that he certainly made an impressive effort, but with little effect.

Pyke, on the other hand, tends to keep his feet, and doesn't get too involved in that stuff if it requires competing with a lot of midfielders. I actually think that's pretty smart. He puts his efforts into sizing up the situation and laying a bit of a shepherd, often to good effect. He takes the big contested mark when it really counts.

As said, it's only anecdotal, but I came to the conclusion that Pyke was the more effective footballer, all things considered.

I agree if they were both on the trade table i think 17 other clubs would pick Mumford over Pyke - we will see the real difference between them when it rains !!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast