Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pyke v Mumford?

Blog Entries

Pyke v Mumford?

I'm really looking forward to this battle.
    They must have trained/practiced together many times over the last few years and would know each others games very, very well.

Should be a good contest.

Who do you think will come out on top?

Reefer Madness
    Blog Entries
    Mummy at ball ups where he muscles his way through the taps, clearances and contested situations.

Pyke over the rest of the ground, with his marking and goal kicking in particular.
    'Delicious' is a fun word to say

Pyke! Though I may be a little biased.

If I'm honest, if agree with I'm-uninformed2. However I think Pyke will have been concentrating on his ball ups knowing he's the man this year. He concentrated on his contested marks last year and nearly topped the competition there, so hopefully he'll do the same for ruck work this year.

pr. dim-melb; m not f
    Quote Originally Posted by DK_ View Post
    If I'm honest, if agree with I'm-uninformed2. However I think Pyke will have been concentrating on his ball ups knowing he's the man this year. He concentrated on his contested marks last year and nearly topped the competition there, so hopefully he'll do the same for ruck work this year.
    The man is a great learner. I bet other players are sick of hearing from the coaches about him!
    He reminds him of the guys, close-set, slow, and never rattled, who were play-makers on the team. (John Updike, seeing Josh Kennedy in a crystal ball)

Suspended by the MRP
    Pyke and Mumford will break even, but the concern I have is Jonathan Giles. I think Mumford and Giles V Pyke will eventually wear Pyke down. I think this combination will be too strong with LRT as back up! You will need to play Tom D to support Pyke and attempt to break even with Giles!

I felt that Pyke had gone a step in front in of Mummy several (most) games last year. Constant improvement.. Mummy was more solid later in the year. (as his fitness improved)

Will be one of the key match ups to watch. I think our mids should just let mummy win the tap and call for the ball.. let him hit it to us rather than compete for it...

And agree we need a second ruck for this game. Good game to trial one of the new big guys and leave LRT in forwards or backs as needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt80 View Post
    Pyke and Mumford will break even, but the concern I have is Jonathan Giles. I think Mumford and Giles V Pyke will eventually wear Pyke down. I think this combination will be too strong with LRT as back up! You will need to play Tom D to support Pyke and attempt to break even with Giles!
    GWS have been playing Giles as a backman and is likely to get the matchup with LRT, including in the ruck. Giles should do better in the ruck contests, but not enough to make any real difference. So Pyke and Mummy are likely to mirror each other in where they play and rest time.

I always liked the Mumford-Pyke combo because they were so complementary in their personal as well as football styles. But Pyke is playing with one of the league's best midfields who will make him look good even when he's not. Mummo has a big load to carry.

Goes up to 11
    I think Mummy may take the points in this weekend's battle between the two, but we'll easily outdo them elsewhere in the midfield......

I think our Midfield will be more worried about being tackled / bumped by Mumford and when the ball hits the ground than GWS will be about Pyke who does not contribute a great deal after the bounce / ball up - in the air a different story as Pyke clearly has Mumford covered there and with his goal kicking - we will see how good our ruck coach is this year - given that stoppages have been a strength of ours over the past few years will be interesting to see how things pan out.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DA_Swan View Post
    I think our Midfield will be more worried about being tackled / bumped by Mumford and when the ball hits the ground than GWS will be about Pyke who does not contribute a great deal after the bounce / ball up - in the air a different story as Pyke clearly has Mumford covered there and with his goal kicking - we will see how good our ruck coach is this year - given that stoppages have been a strength of ours over the past few years will be interesting to see how things pan out.
    This is where Mumford will be missed greatly. His 2nd and 3rd efforts are second to none.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast